A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: The Fated Hour - July 2009 Update

So it took longer than I expected, but the level is officially finito.

That is to say, the basic layout of the level is finito. What comes next is going through and adding rings and enemies and extra background objects. I have one week on the nose to get this finished. Maybe I'll make it after all. I'll be honest, I was starting to sweat a bit, there.

I'm still a little worried at the length of time required to complete the level. Apparently the Christmas level was 10000x1500, which makes this level about double as wide and 3-5 times as tall. Whereas the Christmas level could be completed in under 15 seconds if you knew what you were doing, this one seems to be taking around 35 seconds (probably less if you really get focused) if you're using the most speed-focused loadout + taking the fastest route.

I'm having trouble deciding if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Mushroom Hill Act 1 in S&K, for example, goes down in about 45 seconds from a

(I don't count miniboss defeat in that time calculation). Act 2 runs him about 1:07.

Maybe this is TFH's sweet spot. It's not quite as long as S3&K, but it could be. I know my level designing skills still need a lot of work, comparing S3&K maps to the map of TFH's SAGE level.

We'll see.

Well the demo said there were only 3 Load-Outs...

But! I noticed Utility + High Speed.

Do you have to follow the correct combination in which you scrolled through the items to load those? XD

Or have you just not "hidden" those yet. :P

I have not hidden those yet, and I purposely did not show the sixth loadout. :P

Mmm. That vid made me wet.

On a less creepy sidenote, that's pretty awesome. I really want this to pan out as I imagine it.. awesome. And I think it's getting there. :P

Just release something.

Now.

Oh also I read not too long ago the Retro page on this, I had no idea how many times you re-made this engine. It's a tribute to you for keeping up this far along. I'm proud. :3

Now that's what I call an intro tutorial

Although it is a bit of an Info Dump as opposed to the more common "Help as you Play" tutorial, for demo purposes it's definatly better than all those "OMGHERESTHECONTROLSONTHELOADINGSCREENBYE!" ones I've had to enjoy on Xbox Live :P

cough

That is also why I made it so it's totally skippable, since Amy doesn't really tell you anything but "Okay, here's what the most basic of controls do." You could just select "No" and then mash buttons on your keyboard/gamepad until you figured it out (as most of us did back in the day, because really, let's be honest, most of us never read the manual).

I just mainly wanted a space to describe how to talk to NPCs, because Amy has that big fat database I wrote for her that contains an explanation on how to use every move in the game. I figure it's much better than the Sonic Heroes alternative where you've ten thousand hint bubbles stashed all over every stage constantly explaining (and re-explaining) what to do.

I found it very interesting as well, Bradly. Would you like to tell us any other interesting things about your brother, Azu?

Nope.

"I bet you collect every single ring you pass by in a level, too. :P"

Just jolted my memory and I just wrote it down when it happens.