A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: The Fated Hour - July 2009 Update

Aha.

I think I triggered True Blue's freezing bug. After it tallys up the ring score bonus, it just froze for me. But the game itself didn't freeze - it just never went on to tallying the time score bonus.

I tried your alternate upload, but it still freezes. Yes, that's where it freezes.

I been playing the demo/trial version E again for a bit and I think super sonic has a small bug when it comes to transforming, I was super and missed a large row of rings so stopped to run back and grab them before my energy ran out, it did but for what I can tell was already in a jump and pressed the jump key again in the air while turning back to sonic. Now even with a full energy bar I can't transform back into super.

I'll look to see if I can do it again but every other time i've played as super sonic i've been able to transform again once I gain more energy.

*edit* Just figured it out, I had a green shield while super and with a shield you can't transform until you lose it. If I could add a suggestion I think super sonic should have a very mild/small magnetic pull naturally around him since he moves so fast it can be a pain to get jumps exact each run to grab rings not on the running path.

I like the new interesting-nod-to-Mega-Man equip system. It's pretty cool that we get to see Sonic's shoes get a neat new gimmick. Very creative idea; I haven't seen anyone do something with Sonic's shoes before. :)

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what program did you record that video with? There were no slowdowns in the video at all, and the quality wasn't too blurry either.

There's actually an equip in there that adds a slight, permanent magnetism. I think one of the loadouts was supposed to have it but I never got around to fixing it so that it worked (I never figured out which one it was, I should rename it so it's easier to find...)

If you look closely, you can see it in action in this video.

So will regular sonic earn the magnetic pull ability? that makes things even nicer for ring collecting then just super sonic as long as it's never going to be a huge radius like a lightning shield.

http://www.moddb.com/games/sonic-the-fated-hour/news/sonic-tfh-november-update

Since Moddb hasn't approved the news yet, I'll just paste it here:

Let's get this out of the way right now: Work's been slow on TFH. When you get out of the habit of working on something, it's hard to get back in to the habit again, especially when the most immediate task at hand is perhaps the largest, and most tedious hurdle in developing the game. Not to mention the Holidays are here, and with it a flurry of new games. Left4Dead and Sonic Unleashed will no doubt be given a lot of my love in the weeks to come.

The devil I speak of is Sonic's equip menu. Writing menu systems sucks, but doing an equip menu like this is something I've never even though about attempting before and it's been an interesting experience. That's not to say I haven't done anything in the month since the previous update, it's just the majority of this update has been spent thinking about how it should be done. I think I've come up with a system that works:

• Have a series of numbered flags, both for what is currently in ownership and what is currently equipped. Let's say Ownership is a negative flag, Currently equipped is a positive flag. For example, Flag -1 is ownership of item 1, Flag 1 is equipping of item 1.
  • Build a list of which negative flags are on.
  • The list then references an external data file where the numbers are translated in to actual item names and descriptions.
  • When it does this, it checks to see if the item is equipped already. If it is, the item text color is changed to grey.
  • When trying to equip something, check to see if there are enough available slots for it to fit. If not, instantly unequip the item.

All that's really left is to put that in to action. In addition to writing that out, I've also redesigned the look of Sonic's menu. The old equip menu was a separate screen, showing a list of both gems and shoes:

tfh_oldmenu.png

I've since redesigned the entire menu so that things like the time, ring bank, and power listing are on every section of the menu:

tfh_newmenu.png

It works sort of like the Xbox blade system or the PS3's XMB in that you press left and right to shuffle through the menu sections, and you press up and down to select individual items in the menu. Pressing a button will select the shoe equip section and allow you to browse the list. I'm hoping this is better organized looking; I'm not entirely confident in my ability to make readable menus.

And that... is pretty much it for this month's update. I've been further cleaning up Sonic's run animation, but I doubt you want to see that. Hopefully the December update will be more substantial; once I force my way through Sonic's equip menu the rest of the work coding the game's features should be a breeze.

Thanks for the help, BlazeHedgehog and RedEchidna. I tried both the F2 thing and using the Full Screen option in the menus but to no avail. I don't think my monitor or video card could be the culprit, but it's possible. I've got an NVIDIA GeForce FX 6200 graphics card on a "standard plug-and-play" (according to my PC) flat-screen LCD monitor. Just as an added note, I'm running the SAGE 2008 demo version of the game on a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC with XP SP2. I'm also using Microsoft Magnifier and Microsoft Narrator because I am visually impaired.

If any of you has any more suggestions please do not hesitate to post. Thanks again for the ideas you've already given.

I don't think the card or the monitor would be the problem, my desktop PC has a similar card, eGeForce 6200, and an LCD monitor.

Even an older card, an MX4000 worked fine...

Try pressing Alt+Enter when the app is running to see if it works. If the screen flickers, and the game is back to a windowed mode, an application is probably causing the problem... ...the Microsoft Magnifier probably has something to with it.

• 2 weeks later...