A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog 4! FINAL DEMO OUT!

Spike

I didn't really get how you explained that(@ Kain). I think you are thinking the same way as I am :P... pretty much most people usually just make it so if you are jumping, and the player isn't holding jump while going up(Gravity < 0), accelerate his gravity until Sonic is falling again(Gravity =< 0 ). A lot of people make the mistake of not resetting the fall speed when you let go of the button so he falls super fast -__-.

Rael: And yeah, I'm RC :] and wow, I think I will change my Alias to "DarkS" XD... Do you still happen to have that intro?(Or perhaps one of the engine tests...). Being my computer/Cinos'/server all happened to crash it would be pretty damn awesome if you did! I don't think I ever got to post the intro, at least. I know Cinos worked pretty hard on that thing >_<

Every Sonic game used the "variable jump." In fact, I can't think of any platformer off the top of my head that I've played that doesn't use it.

Sammy Lightfoot. Pitfall. Piftall 2. Miner 20'49er. Donkey Kong. Jump Man. Jump Man Junior. Dragon's Lair. Prince of Persia.

Either your repertoire of retro-games is very limited or you aren't trying very hard.

No, that doesn't have anything to do with this topic, so don't bother to comment on it.

I also kind of am urked by the name. "Sonic 4" itself is fine, but the fact is it is pretty unpolished compared to a lot of projects to go calling it "Sonic 4"... not to mention a lot of edited sprites/backgrounds for good measure. I don't think if the quality literally isn't near or better than the real thing, it can possibly be named as a sequel. Just gives me a n00bish vibe :P...

Strangely enough, I initially ignored the game due to this fact. (I downloaded it out of boredom to see if it held up to its name; which it did not.) I thought that it was some n00b who thought that they had a 1337xorz game that deserved the title Sonic 4. Personally, think it has potential, but I did not really like it due to a number of things:

1. Sonic just doesn't go fast enough. It is hard to go around loops, and the Spin Dash just doesn't work right.

2. The rocks in Act 1 look like foreground objects when they are in reality background objects. Then in Act 2, they are magically foreground objects.

3. The enemies were a little senseless. e.g. Compare your bees to the ones in, say, Sonic 2. The Sonic 2 ones are more so passive enemies than ones that hunt you down and gather over your head.

4. While the idea of combining Sonic 3&K and Chaotix bonus levels is interesting, the depth perception is a little wrong. It is too easy to misjudge a jump and fall off.

5. The level design is a little awkward. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but something is just not right.

6. Those rail cart things are hard to ride on. They tend to take off right before you land on them.

7. I am not sure of the reason that the levels are broken into parts, but I find it really annoying. Loading times = bad.

8. The fixed jump height. I think that has already been addressed.

9. There is a reason that Sega left out the detail of Sonic bouncing backward after hitting a wall in their games.

10. The game is glitchy overall. I have tried a few times to get through the surfing part, but there is a random glitch that causes me to crash at the ducking sections. Even though I am ducking, it still says that I hit the wall.

I hope that I am not coming across as unkind, but these are ways that I can think of that would better the game. Keep working on it, and maybe one day it will hold up to its name.

DimensionWarped:

Sammy Lightfoot. Pitfall. Piftall 2. Miner 20'49er. Donkey Kong. Jump Man. Jump Man Junior. Dragon's Lair. Prince of Persia.

Either your repertoire of retro-games is very limited or you aren't trying very hard.

lol well, you're right :] Unfortunately, I wasn't really into any of the ones you mentioned, thus the "off the top of my head"(actually I way preffer 2D fighters to platformers). All of the non GG Sonic style games(which I'm assuming he is trying to mimic the features of- physics-wise) did have it though :P

Rael:... we do. I have always <3ed you ;P Just that you don't read intro posts and I am temporarily not on AIM much due to *living on an effing boat(>:B)*.

1. Sonic just doesn't go fast enough. It is hard to go around loops, and the Spin Dash just doesn't work right.

2. The rocks in Act 1 look like foreground objects when they are in reality background objects. Then in Act 2, they are magically foreground objects.

3. The enemies were a little senseless. e.g. Compare your bees to the ones in, say, Sonic 2. The Sonic 2 ones are more so passive enemies than ones that hunt you down and gather over your head.

4. While the idea of combining Sonic 3&K and Chaotix bonus levels is interesting, the depth perception is a little wrong. It is too easy to misjudge a jump and fall off.

5. The level design is a little awkward. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is, but something is just not right.

6. Those rail cart things are hard to ride on. They tend to take off right before you land on them.

7. I am not sure of the reason that the levels are broken into parts, but I find it really annoying. Loading times = bad.

8. The fixed jump height. I think that has already been addressed.

9. There is a reason that Sega left out the detail of Sonic bouncing backward after hitting a wall in their games.

10. The game is glitchy overall. I have tried a few times to get through the surfing part, but there is a random glitch that causes me to crash at the ducking sections. Even though I am ducking, it still says that I hit the wall.

1. Alright.

2. Oh well, you can tell by how high off the grass they are.

3. So? This isn't Sonic 2.

4. Not for me.

5. Yes, yes, yes. For christ sake, I get it. I have even stated that these won't be in the final game. Get over it.

6. What? You shouldn't even be able to get to the carts in this demo.

7. Would you rather have a stupidly tiny/ slow running level? Didn't think so.

8. Yes, it has, along with almost everything else you said.

9. Too bad, people, it's staying.

10. Again, I explained this.

Sorry for being so rude, but come on people. Think of some new material. Every time I view this thread, it's the same damn review posted again. I can take criticism, but I got it the first time. I understand. The issues are being adressed. Aside from bouncing off a wall, that is. I like that. Plus, it isn't annoying like in Sonic 2 where you hung in midair for several seconds and laid on the ground before you got up. This is just a light tap backwards, and I had it in this game before the Sonic 2 early prototype was even released, so don't give me that "There is a reason they didn't include it!" stuff. This isn't even modeled after that.

DimensionWarped:

lol well, you're right :] Unfortunately, I wasn't really into any of the ones you mentioned, thus the "off the top of my head"(actually I way preffer 2D fighters to platformers). All of the non GG Sonic style games(which I'm assuming he is trying to mimic the features of- physics-wise) did have it though :P

I see you both chopped off and ignored the last, most important sentence of that post.

And for that, I will now haunt your dreams with strange fantasies involving cheese cake and gelatin.

6. What? You shouldn't even be able to get to the carts in this demo.

They are the little grey platforms that ride on the orange vines/ropes.

7. Would you rather have a stupidly tiny/ slow running level? Didn't think so.

I hate to compare fangames like this, but there were quite a few games in Sage this year (like Sonic Nexus) that did pretty much what you are doing without the load times. I am not sure what kind of program you are using to make the game, but I am just pointing out that it is not impossible to do so.

Sorry for being so rude, but come on people. Think of some new material. Every time I view this thread, it's the same damn review posted again. I can take criticism, but I got it the first time. I understand. The issues are being adressed.

Hey, I'm not trying to be rude either. I was just giving my take on it. These are the things that jumped out at ME. (Not what someone else thinks.)

I will be looking forward to the next release. It will be much better once some of these wrinkles are ironed out.

Some new features coming:

Air boost system:

While coming off of a ramp, spring, or anything that launches you into the air, you can now pull off a boost depending on which button combo you press.

More character-exclusive abilities:

Sonic will be able to perform the downward slam, Knuckles will break certain walls to create paths that other characters do not have, and Tails will have some Tails Adventures powerups.

Alright, from now on, I'm holding a name contest. Anyone who can come up with the best name for this game (Sonic 4 has been somewhat working title for now) will get to choose a (reasonable) feature for the game. Be it an unlockable character, short stage, or whatever. Go for it.

Hmm... it would probably be easier to come up with names if I knew something of the story for Sonic 4. Unless you just want to name it something generic. What I mean by that is a name that could be used for pretty much any Sonic game.

Err if you did want to name is something generic. Maybe and tell me if this is crazy... Sonic Euphoria?

Ahhh... I know of at least 2 other ones with that name granted they suck. But it might be worth changing just because of that. If you are planning on going with what Damizean said and have genesis in the title you might try like Sonic: Genesis Revival or revamped or something.

It took me a long time to settle on Sonic Time Twisted. To be honest I don't even like that name that much but it would be a pain to change now.

Now I'd like to make a game using this name Sexy Sonic: Shaking and Baking. But it would have to be a joke game of sorts and I wouldn't want to start it before I finished Time Twisted. But that's probably the greatest name for a Sonic game ever.