A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog 4! FINAL DEMO OUT!

Spike

Yes, the Sonic 4 booth is here.

Booth link

FINAL DEMO RELEASED! Some changes are:

-New, charging spindash

-New Act segments added

-Sonic can now Wall Jump

-Spiffed up level design

-Two new gimmicks

-New minigame in Sonic's story

-All mentioned glitches fixed

CREDITS: (Did not have time to put them in the demo)

Sprites, Backgrounds, programming by Spike

Original engine by Damizean

Music by Huepow00 and Sonic Team

Yes, the Sonic 4 demo is now up for download on the booth.

Booth link

Some known glitches are:

Sometimes when landing, the rolling animation will still play.

Pressing CTRL resets the game. (I used this for testing and forgot to remove it)

The game is still totally usable, though. I plan to have these glitches fixed by late tonight.

CREDITS: (Did not have time to put them in the demo)

Sprites, Backgrounds, programming by Spike

Original engine by Damizean

Music by Huepow00 and Sonic Team

Exactly where is the download?

Click DOWNLOAD in the booth. It's under the instructions.

Okay, everyone. Due to people saying the two acts run slowly, should I cut them in half (And have act 1 part 1 and part 2)? I guess It couldn't hurt. Looks crappier though.

Very good. All-around nice demo.

One note and it's probably just something you haven't got around to yet: On the third level, though maybe for all of them, I noticed that you have no borders too keep Sonic from running out of the screen from the left or right. Since I'm used to going right fast, I ran right past the spike pit and right out of the board.

Man! That one of the best Fan Games i ever saw! Really Cool!

I think you have good chances to win on this Sage!

But one question - in the OST catalog i Found a music for RailRoad Zone, but in Demo i Didnt find the level. Small Error, Doesnt it?

Thank you! I took the Railroad music out of the .Zip for the demo, because you're right. It isn't needed. (The railroad zone was planned to be in the demo, but one of the main gimmicks ran into problems.)

Kain: Thanks, fixed. Try the new version.

it might have been something with having other windows open, but the game ran in slow motion and the controls as a result were unresponsive. It was really good otherwise, and the special stage was a blast, good work

is there a way to run it full screen? I tried pressing F4, but no go

it might have been something with having other windows open, but the game ran in slow motion and the controls as a result were unresponsive. It was really good otherwise, and the special stage was a blast, good work

is there a way to run it full screen? I tried pressing F4, but no go

It has to be because of open windows. You did download the new demo, right? The one with the fixes?

As of now, no fullscreen. I would have it, but GM runs it with a fullscreen window but with the game still at 620x480 in the middle. Might as well just not have it at all.

Huepow00 : Exactly where is the download?

Spike : Click DOWNLOAD in the booth. It's under the instructions.

For anyone else who might have had this problem, refreshing the page clears the cookies and *duh* refreshes the page. (XD, thanks Spike)

The ParadoxX : What I most liked in this game was the music, specially the boss song. Man, it rocks!!

Thanks Very Much! That would be My Music your praising.:aparty:

OK, I finally played the game.

Pros:

+Awesome presentation

+Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles are all playable

+Music is great

+Boss is simple, with a touch of difficulty. Perfect for a first zone.

Cons

-Level design is either boring or terrible. About 85% of the time, I held down the right button or just coasted by on a flat piece of land. A more apt example is the HUGE BOTTOMLESS PIT in Act 2. Bad. I quit because of it.

-WTF SPINDASH? WHY do I scoot back when I spindash?! The camera is supposed to shift, not Sonic himself. Plus, the spindash is very weak. I shouldn't have to press space 10 times to go anywhere.

-The foreground needs more variety. It's very repetitive and dull to look at after a few minutes.

-Running straight into walls doesn't require that action of falling backwards and being stunned for a bit. It's really annoying.

That's all I got now. If I have any other comments, I'll add them later.

OK, I finally played the game.

That's all I got now. If I have any other comments, I'll add them later.

I'll fix up the spindash soon (The scooting only happens while on an angle, not sure why), I was planning on making it a charging instead of reving thing.

That bottomless pit in act 2 is the ONLY one in the entire game, and there is a spring right before it, you can easily jump over it if going fast enough, and a there is continue spot not very far from it. You can't tell me that you gave up because of this.

Thanks for the Pros, though. Appreciate it.

EDIT: A chance of getting 3rd at SAGE maybe? Behind Nexus and XG I presume?

I'll reserve major comments till you release the final demo Wednesday...

My only complaint was really was the level design... Felt a tad bit too Sonic Advance 2ish, as in, hold right and jump occasionally like Slingerland said...

But the music was great, presentation great. Enemy destruction was fun to look at and different from the norm. And you seem to have different starting locations for each character... could lend itself to some interesting replay value later on...

Overall, I like where this is going... I'll be writing a full review of every fangame featured in each booth and so far, this is in the top few best I've seen this show...

I agree with what Slingerland said basically. Level design needs a lot of work. You should add some gimmicks and get rid of that bounce back after you hit the wall (there is a reason that only in Sonic 2 Beta and not the final). There are spots where you have way too many badniks in one spot I remember a beach spot in act two that was just ridiculous and doesn't look very professional. The springs that shoot you diagonal are very buggy. That green palm tree is horrible too. Its way too green. I also think the ring you chose doesn't match the rest of the game I'd switch to like the Chaotix ring or something.

As far a the good stuff which is always nice to hear even if its more helpful to hear the bad. I love the load game screen that's sweet. Sonic, Tails, and Knux heck ya. And of course the music.

One last thing behind Nexus and XG? Don't forget about Retro and possibly ETCF.

I agree with what Slingerland said basically. Level design needs a lot of work. You should add some gimmicks and get rid of th.................s always nice to hear even if its more helpful to hear the bad. I love the load game screen that's sweet. Sonic, Tails, and Knux heck ya. And of course the music.

One last thing behind Nexus and XG? Don't forget about Retro and possibly ETCF.

Retro Sonic doesn't have a demo, and neither did ETCF the last time I checked. Oh well, I can dream, right?