A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog - New Screenshots! (Shadow is finally seen!)

Redsonic

Well normally I would say "right," but this is a reboot. So they've started over with everything fresh. None of the older games really matter anymore.

"wait, what if that new hedgehog is the Iblis that Sonic "accidently" triggers?"

::gasp:: Plot twist.

I'd like to say that.. if anyone somehow DOES find out leaked information about the game. Do NOT tell us what the final beast will be or anything. Just figured that needed saying. People tend to randomly just type things or go "spoilerhedies" and then I end up reading it and wanting to strangle you.

Basically, Silver thinks Sonic is the Illibis Trigger, which hie isn't. Silver wants to kill SOnic so he won't go and kill a bunch of other people (from what I've heard in a magazine, it SOUNDS like SIlver is teh time traveller. Don't take my word on that, though)

The Illibis Trigger is the thing that will kill millions, which is the fire dude.

I got the story thinger from Redsonic's scan.

"...and somehow you guys translated that to 'We're rebooting the series?'"

Erm.. no. I'm saying it's a reboot because the story is incredibly underwraps, we haven't see anything more than the first 2 or so levels, we don't know anything about Sonic/Shadow/Silver, we have no idea where the rest of the cast is (Tails, Knuckles, Amy?), and the setting is completely different and unlike the last two games in the series. It seems like a reboot to me. If it wasn't I don't see why the devs can't simply say "Shadow's story continues after StH/Heroes" or something along those lines. Yet they haven't. Also, if this is canon it would have to be set into the future, which would be the first time the characters actually aged (you can't say "two years after Heroes" as then pretend that no one's aged).

So no, it's not just the "back to roots" comment. Do you not find it odd that we knew what Shadow the Hedgeog was going to be about before it came out, what other characters would be in, all about the new characters, etc... yet that isn't the case here. In a game that's supposed to be "reimagining" the series, and totally redesigning it. That in combination with the the fact that it's being treated differently than for a normal Sonic team game causes me to think that this is a reboot, and as such that is what I refer to it as. Granted that may not be the case, but who's to say it's not a reboot either, at least I have some sort of reasoning for thinking so.

...Sonic has never had 'continuity'. I honestly don't understand why people care about the storylines of the newer Sonic games when Sega obviously doesn't try to make them important. I mean, we're not talking about Final Fantasy here. It's just a vehicle for the gameplay.

I'm sure thats why they had a cutscene budget for Sonic Heroes which probably outweighed that of the rest of the development. It's not really that anyone cares about the story, it's more to the point that people don't want something so laughably retarded as "Shadow is an alien, Sonic has the real super power of Team Work, and The more the merrier!"

"...Sonic has never had 'continuity'."

... Haha. What about Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. There was obviously no sort of relation between those two games.

"I honestly don't understand why people care about the storylines of the newer Sonic games when Sega obviously doesn't try to make them important. I mean, we're not talking about Final Fantasy here."

Maybe that's the problem. This is no Final Fantasy. Square Enix takes their game ideas (well, from what I've seen with Kingdom Hearts and FFX) into their loving, caring, almost mother-like hands and sculpts it until they have something that no one else could've done the same way. Prime example being Kingdom Hearts, had Disney been in control of the majority of that it wouldn't have been a quarter as good as it was. Maybe that's the goddamned problem. Like I said, sure the oldschool games didn't really have "story" persay, but there WAS some form of continuity that flowed between the games. Why can't that be done again? It's obviously not impossible, as it's been done before. Sonic Adventure was awesome, there were opportunities for continuity there- various things that could've been expanded on, but they weren't. I've no idea why, but maybe that's the problem.

Perhaps if they took time to really sit down and write out a story for Sonic Next that was really, honestly inspired by the oldschool games we'd have that "Final Fantasy of a Sonic game" that, were this really a reboot, revived the series by giving it some form of continuity and actually gave two ____s for character development we'd actually be somewhere. I'm sure that if Sonic Team felt they were delivering something that was somehow epic or that had a story that was actually a work of art not just a jumbling of "cool" scenarios thrown together they'd have a new energy to put forth a good game. No director wants to deal with making a movie off of a bullcrap story, and it's the same for gaming. The lot of you say that you don't want a story in Sonic games, but I'm pretty sure if someone had the sense to come up with something that was so completely out of left field- something that was totally awesome, yet didn't make you go "what the heck is Sonic doing, this isn't a Sonic game at all"- you wouldn't complain. Naturally when you're given "I r teh bettar hedgehog" you don't really care, but if something truely unique and colorful was written that really put some energy and spirit back into the games you wouldn't mind.

Seems very odd that the majority of us here seem to think S3&K was like.. the prime of Sonic. Hmm.. or maybe Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles had nothing to do with each other at all and I'm thinking of the Death Star. Your call.

But, SEGA's addressing complaints. Sounds to me like they are respecting the franchise. They Got rid of hunting and shooting in Heroes, but left all the characters in cause people have their favorites, so they created the 3 team system instead of a bunch of separate stories. Then people said Sonic was best when he was old school, so now they're at least trying to bring it back to it's roots. The effort is there.

Sure, Shadow the Hedgehog was the Poochie of the series, but now it looks like it's back to business.