A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Nice. Are those bumpers fully working? i may need help with them if my way backfires. I was going to look at the code for the springs in sonic worlds and then depending on which player sensor is overlaping the bumper in realtion to the bumpers position then use the appropriate spring code (for horizontal, virtical and diagonal), don't know if that would work but it sounds like it should :S

Nice. Are those bumpers fully working? i may need help with them if my way backfires. I was going to look at the code for the springs in sonic worlds and then depending on which player sensor is overlaping the bumper in realtion to the bumpers position then use the appropriate spring code (for horizontal, virtical and diagonal), don't know if that would work but it sounds like it should :S

Sounds like how I write code... SOUNDS like it should, but the damn runtime finds a way to screw it up... For example, mine registers that you partner has pressed jump when:

(Y( "Player" )+30<(Y( "Partner" )

...But it won't register HOLDING jump... It really only works on the ground... Plus they will only make one attempt each time these conditions are met... I checked, and there are no "Only one action when event loops" commands!

Well, I presume we all had to learn how to spell basic syllables in the latin-based script we call the English alphabet at one time. Also, I think it's just Romaji. No 'n'.

I don't really see the need to be all Waponese though. Katakana makes sense I guess if you are pushing English words in Japan, but when you are pushing English words to English speakers... I would think the English characters would be more appropriate. I'd get it if you were wanting to call it Midori Yama (disclaimer: that could be totally wrong for all I know, I don't know much about Japanese) or some such business that you'd go with Japanese characters... well, Kanji anyway... because that would be Japanese words in Japanese for the English audience. That's at least acceptably tasteful.

I think I'm not a Sonic fanboy anymore, I know nothing about Japanese. I don't even know what's Romaji, Katakana, Midori Yama, Jumanji, Panaka, or that whatever shit you guys are saying. Was I supposed to?

EDIT: @Blazefire: Concetrate on making a cool titlecard now, only a little people here really reads Japanese.

EDIT2:

Panaka

This was a joke, but only people who speaks Portuguese will understand. You guys got the point of the discussion? :B

It has nothing to do with Sonic. It's just linguistics. Japanese has three phonetic systems of writing, one of which is just using roman letters to spell anything (Romaji), one of which uses symbols which are blockier than the other to represent onomatopoeia (words like Snap, Crackle, and Pop) and foreign words called Katakana, and then one which is used just like katakana only for Japanese words with softer lines. That's called Hiragana. There's also a fourth writing system which is borrowed entirely from Chinese (but swapped around a little), but it's based entirely on pictograms sort of like heiroglyphics (that's ancient Egyptian pictographic writing, but you probably already know that), and it's called Kanji.

So no, you weren't supposed to know that, but language buffs tend to know these things since it's one of the things that makes Japanese stick out. Most cultures tend to settle on one writing system over time, but every writing system in Japanese shares a high level of prevalence, and that makes it weird.

@LH

Yeah, Panaka is a dude from Star Wars. They too probably know about it, babaka.

@BlazefireLP

Make it so the japanese subtitle is actually a amusing comment about the level or something.

...But, you DO know what you're writing, right?

Attached file: while fooling around pxtone i tried to make a duel theme for my game. Since i don't really know what i'm doing, i failed miserably and made a somewhat creepy song instead. =T

The Horror (WIP).zip

...Do you really have to LEARN romanji?

Sorta' kinda... it's like taking English and throwing out any grammatical matters, and turning everything into a 1-3 character-per-syllable mess... Plus it's easier to learn Romaji, then learn whichever other form you like, since you already know what words should sound like. "Watashi-wa Talisena." would be perfectly acceptable, last time I checked. Since "Sena" is already Romaji, it get's left alone. "Tails" isn't actually a word in Japanese, so it just get's garbled/butchered.

About the whole japanese subtitle thing, it's pretty much likely that Blazefire simply didn't cut that off yet. We know where Neo Green Hill comes from, anyway.

Quick idea: Maybe as a more creative (and multilanguage!) approach, you could add a scrolling string of level names just like the one in japanese. "Zona de Base del Motor" indeed. As for japanese itself, there are tons of phonetic chart JPGs floating around, just google 'em if you need to. (Google translate works just as well.)

^ very literal translation up there, lol

... Because GDK is awesome. :3

Don't mind about some physic glitches (it's just bad configuration) or the high contrast (testing ambient inclusion).

More the way the scenery doesn't get textured beyond a certain point is what I noticed - not finalised? That said, I do like what's been done here. Could make for a section of a level!

The problem on the scenary is related to the ambient Oclusion. I've seted a low value (More for interiors) by mistake. So the Ambient Occlusion just gets a small radius thowards Sonic. :P

But thanks, I made this quick piece of level just to try out some configurations and some ilumination factors. Not really for anything...

• Like 1

@TailsSena: I like this Advance 3 style character co-op. Is it AI? And um, this "online" thing... does it suport online multiplayer?

Yes, it's a shitty AI that I'm still working on. It worked flawlessly under my own engine, but now that I'm using Worlds, it has more than a few errors.

Yes, the online is functional, but not exactly "complete" yet... All you see is a name tag and a Monochrome Sonic where your friend is. No representation of their partner, and they'll be Sonic regardless of who they actually are.

@Shockey Rai: I really like the look of that, Gives the game a more dark and gritty feel. You should make a few of your levels in that style, Theres quite a lot of colorfull mainstream levels in fan games, I Like to see this sorta stuff.

@ TailsSena, Instead of having the sonic and tails sprite just make the outline of sonic and tails actually glow on the picture below?

I Still think its too zooomed out but its a whole new take on sonic,

Im not saying its wrong, Just different :)

@ TailsSena, Instead of having the sonic and tails sprite just make the outline of sonic and tails actually glow on the picture below?

I Still think its too zooomed out but its a whole new take on sonic,

Im not saying its wrong, Just different :)

Well, I don't want to recreate the camera from Sonic Genesis (GBA)... You never had a clue what you where going to run into unless you memorized it all. So instead of running Genesis sprites at GBA resolution, I'm running GBA sprites at PSP resolution. That's why it's zoomed out. :tgrin: