A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Oh, shit. That's because I only posted it on SSRG. I thought for some reason I posted it here.

Here it is anyway, I really wasn't ready to show you guys yet but fuck it.

Note: You'll notice their are some jumpcuts, I don't think I have to explain why.

Really big thanks to Felik and DW.

@LarkSS

actually, yeah

when it touches the wall it will act like one

it was also inspired by one D=

@BlazefireLP

Well, almost the whole zone is already done changing everything could be a little tough.

anyway, i will leave like this until i show a video of this zone because all seems to look a lot better in motion.

But, Mario?

well... it wasn't intentional anyway

@Spike

well, they where constant moving in different speeds so you will be able to distinguish what is touchable and what is the BG

@Strife

thanks!

One of the things i love about the genesis Sonic games are the backgrounds.

I know I don't have anything to show, but I want to admit that every single one of you who posted in this thread gets my kudos. All of the stuff I saw in this thread is absolutely delicious, and is the reason I come here to this forum, to see talented ideas (in Sonic fangaming and some indies) go to great work.

You guys have great minds. xD

Yes, I'm not touching the SonicWorlds crap. Mostly because I hate having everything done for me. It ruins the fun and feeling of one's own work.

Not to belittle your efforts Blazefire, but tweaking an existing engine to suit your needs is still very much what you are doing. All Sonic Worlds provides that your engine didn't is a few extra amenities like an attack hitbox on the player, sample gimmicks, items, characters and their associated abilities, a few sample enemies, and a more robust action management system. It's still very much a matter of putting work into it in proportion to what you want out of it.

Yes, I used a pure 360 base. However, It's quite modded now. The last part of the mod is to fix some parts in the physics and reposition all the sensors to suit the SonicAdvance sprites. I even redid the angle detection now too. So it's now even less Damizeans.

What I do, is not common anymore. Due to so much heavily premade stuff.

Except, some of us seriously expand upon it. The part I like when people do stuff themselves "for the most part" is just the general experience and pride you get from actually doing something yourself and seeing it work. At least, that is the reason I do it. Mainly also because it WILL feel different to the premade engines. I cannot find myself interested in any fangame that uses SonicWorldsDelta. Yes, the engine is good but I know what the game will feel and play like even before I play it. This is one thing I usually look forward to in a game. Hence, I get bored and/or just don't care for them.

Except, some of us seriously expand upon it. The part I like when people do stuff themselves "for the most part" is just the general experience and pride you get from actually doing something yourself and seeing it work. At least, that is the reason I do it. Mainly also because it WILL feel different to the premade engines. I cannot find myself interested in any fangame that uses SonicWorldsDelta. Yes, the engine is good but I know what the game will feel and play like even before I play it. This is one thing I usually look forward to in a game. Hence, I get bored and/or just don't care for them.

But Worlds can customized just as much as any engine, even the one you used. Just because some people choose or don't know how to customize it very well doesn't make it any less of an engine.

No doubt one could move sensors in Worlds, or program their own shields, monitors, a new ringloss system, change the sprites to advance ones, or change the way rotation works. In the end you could do everything just like you did in your engine demo above. The only difference would be the underlying 360 base would be better.

I just did this random edit to the SonicAdvance End Capsule. Honestly, my best sprites/edits are just me randomly messing around in paint..

New%20End%20Pod%20Difference.PNG It should be obvious for the DO NOT USE. That includes you lurkers who have yet to discover a site goes with this forum.

What do you guys think?

But Worlds can customized just as much as any engine, even the one you used. Just because some people choose or don't know how to customize it very well doesn't make it any less of an engine.

No doubt one could move sensors in Worlds, or program their own shields, monitors, a new ringloss system, change the sprites to advance ones, or change the way rotation works. In the end you could do everything just like you did in your engine demo above. The only difference would be the underlying 360 base would be better.

Speaking of 360 degree movement, how would one impliment Damizen's 360 engine into a game using the Platform Movement Object for movements?:asweatdrop:

EDIT: Got it ported, but how do I make the angle sensors follow me when I jump?

Hmph. I guess I'll have to keep in mind that the next time you are praising my shit, you are actually totally uninterested and thinking it's completely passé on account of it using an engine that I helped to write.

Just one thing.

Worlds was conceived as a project to help fangamers concentrate on what was a rather important element: Levels and their features.

Before Worlds, you could find tons of games, each with their own engine, some with the dreaded Platform Movement. But most of them had level sets extracted right from the Genesis games. Go check 'em out. Green Hill and Emerald Hill were basic essentials.

There were some exceptions, of course. But this applied to the majority.

Originally it was just a small base with 360 movement and few other features. Collaborators then added new things while keeping the classic Genesis behavior. Thanks to this, many developers are creating some very promising games with innovative level design and creative application of new gimmicks, enemies and features (e.g. Sonic Axiom.)

I'm not saying you should force yourself to use Worlds. But I'm sure it will be a great help to you as a developer, don't be afraid to use it as a helper. If you want to add a Sky Sanctuary style laser-beam-teleporter, you can check Worlds to have a basic idea and implement something by yourself. In the end, we're all trying to emulate the Genesis games' behavior.

Worlds is designed to be expanded upon. This is why it's modular. You can shut off a part of it if you don't need it, and you can add your own. Developers add their own spin to Worlds for their projects.

And if you really want nothing about Worlds, but want to build a 360º engine, there's the "Dami Minimal engine" which has a very basic rundown of Sonic moving, jumping and running. Great base for custom engines. You mentioned using a base, dunno if it was this one, but might be handy to keep in mind.

I'm sure your game will stand out because of its uniqueness, and you've made good progress. Keep working on it. But:

Yes, I'm not touching the SonicWorlds crap. Mostly because I hate having everything done for me. It ruins the fun and feeling of one's own work.

The SonicWorlds crap? That's a bit far.

It's nice to build your own engine, and it's good to see you're eager to make things with your own hands, but hey, just a bit more respect is okay.

Your engine looks pretty nice, I do not belittle it. So don't belittle other people's work.

@TailsSena: I don't think it'll work. The platform movement won't work well if you try to "overlap" it with a 360º engine. I don't think the Platform Movement object (the extension) will let you, either.