A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Well in the first level there are way too many loops. Old Whirlwind Level design 4 has four loops in the same shot, and that's about one loop too many. I also think there needs to be more flow in the level. Place a shallower slope at the bottoms of all the hills so that it gradually slopes up instead of a stark angle, and maybe add some more half pipes to the level design so that you can ramp up with a rolling attack and get some air. Other than that, you might want to add more background things to the level to give it some life and make it pop.

Noted! Also I normally add detail when the level is finished.

SO I'm on a team of about 30 other people working on a fan game that I can't really talk about but I can show off all I like. I'm a concept artist and level designer and we're working on a desert theme.

sft_desert_01_by_sonicbommer-d6g44s8.png

Kind of a painted canyon kind of look is what I'm going for. The theme for the level isn't final yet so any ideas for a desert level would be appreciated.

@Highwire4

Pretty impressive, I like it. I'm guessing it's a full 3d fangame with 30 people? If not,a really good 2d one.

Anyways

As for themes, I like the current one with it being in a canyon, that's pretty original for a desert theme in a sonic game.

It's just an idea, but i've always wanted to see a desert zone that takes place in a densely populated area.

@highwire

I KNOW I'm gonna be talking to on Skype about this soon. (I saw your tweet asking for ideas but I couldn't think of any good ones at the time)

@Mr. Patatobadger

Wouldn't that kinda be Arid Sands in Shamar? I can't think of examples, off the top of my head, to tie in canyon and an urban-ish area... Well there is the Native American Pueblos dotted in the Southwest, but most of those are abandoned...

@Mr. Potato: Thank you so much! It is indeed a full 3D game.

Glad to see that the canyon idea is different, since nearly any idea I get involves that xD

As for the theme idea, back when I was working on my own sonic fan game, Project Dash, the second level of the game was a desert level taking place in an arid metropolis. So considering that I kinda want that for my game, I may or may not do some concept art of it for this project. I'll probably end up drawing up something similar that has something else twisted in with it to give it more character.

@Libi:

A few of my ideas actually do combine the urban and canyon theme, but I'm finding it hard to focus on one or the other due to how different they can be despite their sharing of a theme. So I'm most likely going to draw up something like that next.

Well, the art of the first zone in our game, as you probably know, is getting a makeover, here's a mockup on how the floor's coming along.

The grass has also been completely re-done.

[qimg] Nla1v3_zps055a90c1.png?t=1375555202 [/qimg]

Any opinions/suggestions?

HOLY CRAP, that is freaking beautiful.

Also, why not change the green grass in the background to a darker green to it goes better with the grass' palette?

Well, the art of the first zone in our game, as you probably know, is getting a makeover, here's a mockup on how the floor's coming along.

The grass has also been completely re-done.

[qimg] Nla1v3_zps055a90c1.png?t=1375555202 [/qimg]

Any opinions/suggestions?

Add around 10 pixels of grass shadow under the foreground grass.

Guest Mr Lange
Werp, her it done gos

I'm considering switching to genesis sprites, because there aren't enough mod.gen sprites. Things are starting to get an inconsistent feel, and don't fit together well. Practically every sonic character has a sornic 1 or 2 styled sprite, so it would fit together better.

The people's opinion?

As quality as the mod gen sprites are, I've never preferred them over the original Genesis sprites. They're harder to make edits for and a little too stylistic; they stray just a bit too far from the classic Sonic look. Given a choice I'd go for the Genesis sprites.

Werp, her it done gos

I'm considering switching to genesis sprites, because there aren't enough mod.gen sprites. Things are starting to get an inconsistent feel, and don't fit together well. Practically every sonic character has a sornic 1 or 2 styled sprite, so it would fit together better.

The people's opinion?

Well assuming you do go to here for all your MdGn sprites, there is something to be said for that. A lot of the main driving forces behind the project moved on... I know Shinbs is still around here, which made me smile when I found that out. But people like Deebs, NinjaRaccoon, Gardow, and everyone else who is mentioned in the kudos page in the archive have like vanished to my knowledge. IRL stuff does stop progress, not to mention the MFZ Act 5 forums is now offline, so now we can't even look at the old threads.

Now that being said, the last thing that was being made was a tier list for the characters that I'm sure you are all familiar with. Good progress was made, although I can't show that because I didn't pull any down to my knowledge.

In terms of the version 1, what I call MdGn1, NinjaRaccon would be the person to bug for sprites. To the best of my knowledge he pretty much has sheeted a good 10 characters.

So to answer your question, it would be probably be best to use Genesis Styled sprites, for the time being. Until the project somehow gets it's feet in gear and get's going again, I don't see a lot of Modern Genesis styled sprites getting pushed out.

Now that being said I am starting my own little booster sheet to help be get back into the groove of things.

o0xl.png

Kinda the same thing Lake was going for when he was making the sprites for AtS, but I figured I would give an attempt at it. Also the idea of finding a middle point between the "growing phase" between the main modern version and the classic booster sheet version.

Would it be possible for me to get some critique on this? Credit given where it's do. (Yes Shinbs, those are your shoes)

Edit: Oh, and Patatobadger, if you want me look in the depths of my computer to see if I can find some more mod gen sprites, feel free to shoot me a PM.

@Libi

Yea, I do go there for the modgen sprites. And I like that sprite btw.

Anyways, I don't think I'm going to make you search the deep, dark, depths of your computer, as that sucks and it takes forever. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm switching to genesis styled sprites at this point, so that would be a waste.

The only thing that would convince me to keep using modgen at this point is if you have a full fledged sheet with mighty sprites, which I'm sure you don't.

In the beginning stages of my projects development, someone told me that they thought the genesis sprites were overused. I think about it now, and realise that they're underused for the most part.

So yea. Genesis sprites it is.

WEEEELL

LET ME LOOK AROUND

I got V1 of Mighty's Sheet, I just saw it... But it's not worth looking at...

The most complete one Mighty Sheet you are gonna find is Shinbs, which I I know I do not have. Or if you know Perigi, ring him up, I KNOW he's got the sheet.

I did just find this, but's again, not worth anything.

^

Except I don't have a Mighty sheet,just a sprite:

sth___mighty_and_espio_by_shinbaloonba-d5qjjrt.png

Never sheeted him,because if I were to do so,I'd give him only unique poses,rather than making him Sonic in a wig.

Perigi did have some good progress on his sheet,but I never heard of him since MFZ went boom.

_________

And Libi,that's a cool sprite btw.

If you want crit,the quills could use better shading,using more of the darker blue shade,and the highlighting on the middle quill seems kind of random.

Apart from other nitpicks I have,it's actually kinda cool,and would good with some tweaks,shouldn't be hard to sheet,so I'd like to see you sheet that.

..I see much more in it than just my shoes though : p

Speaking of sprites, I made an animation that you reach before you reach peelout.

PtQ1gIy.gif

It looks really weird at that speed, but it looks awesome in game. The gif maker I used wouldn't make it any faster. You can match it with any frame of the peelout and it will fit that particular frame. It's just out of order to look right here.

to reach full peelout, you need to be going about as fast as you need to be in ATS/BTS needs you to be to reach it's version of the peelout. Ya know, the max speed thingy.

Whatever.

@Patatobadger: JASC Animation Shop 3.0. It's old, but it works well, and you can set the duration of a frame down to 1/10th of a second.

gotta pirate it, but it's so old you shouldn't be paying for it anyways q:

@Shibs: Holy crap that Mighty sprite has changed ALOT since I last remember seeing it!

The only place I've recently seen Perigi is on Facebook and once on Hammerspace, but that was awhile back.

In regards to the sprite, it's well... like, kinda mostly yours. Speaking in terms of stuff taken from both sprites. (I actually used the main sprite as a base though lol) I'm kinda purposely trending away from the way I shaded my FC as of late because I think it would be for the better, so I will certainly be tweaking the shading ALOT.

Hell I'd be working on it right now if it weren't for the fact I was at work and I left the sprites on my home PC.

I know it's kinda irrelevant, but, Shinbs, are you planning on making any tutorials for people trying to replicate the style?

It would making spriting fan characters so much easier.

What? I like fan characters, so long as they aren't my own original character, Blonic clones.

@Libi:

You mean this?

walkingmighty.gif

It's really old,prolly 2010 or 09,I think.

I lost that sheet,but I should probally revamp what's left of it and make a full Mighty sheet sometime.

And I figured so about the sprite borrowing from mine,but you only mentioned the shoes for some reason lol

I can help you with that,just ask if you want.

@Alex:

I think tutorials are redundant,and it's not like I'm good at explaining things.

The way I make sanics nowadays is a bit different from the main modgen projects in a few things,but I don't think i should be hard to replicate at all.

I..could give you tips I guess,but not here,it's indeed irrelevant to the topic.

@Potatobadger:

On the TSR forums,there's an gif making app made by a member called Previous.It's free and easy to use,I suggest you dig that up.

I think the animation itself looks a bit odd,as if the feet are moving too little between frames,but that might look better ingame and with the correct speed,so..

I think the animation itself looks a bit odd,as if the feet are moving too little between frames,but that might look better ingame and with the correct speed,so..

YES. The animation in game is MUCH faster, and it looks like hes about to break into peelout, it looks pretty awesome.

I tried to make the feet move little inbetween to give it a blur effect as if hes about to peel out.

Trust me it looks fantastic in game.

I gave alex a mini build, so what do you think of it, alex?