A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Does the whole background move as one or each part moves separately or...?

I like it, although the colors don't seem to fit in some way. They seem to call other color or something. Perharps you should consider putting an outlined logo or something on the black part.

Also, I don't wanna be a jackass, but your game name seems to be

Sonic Overdrive

:D cool.

(Will delete this once you see it)

Keep guessing, lol.

Also i'll keep in mind your suggestion :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people. I'm new in the place, as first step I want to share my work with you guys to see what you guys think about it, and start on the forum.

First of all, I am remaking old school levels in 3D and using with UDK/SonicGDK. the level style may vary, may not be complete replications of the originals.

Turquiose Hill (old screenshots without objects and I already mapped the UVs of the objects now.)

acg1.png

0xsi.png

uzs1.png

Rusty Ruin Act I (Vídeo)

Took me a good amount of time, but was worthy, I used modular design to reach to final result, and everything in the level is real geometry, lots of optimizations on background and custom textures and objects, as the ones above, all a lone work using 3ds max, photoshop and udk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwTzW9vJbqg

I have a list of level that I plan to remake, that involves some uncomon levels like Botanic Base, also I am making other project levels, I may be posting here soon.

Nice work, Shadow Belmont but you're need to learn how to optimize your stuff better. Like the ground floors, instead of being a square each tile, could've been just a few big squares with a texture and a normal map. Same goes for the brick wall pieces which I know are meshes and good I don't even wanna know how many polys there are in those Sonic/Tails/Knuckles figures.

As it is right now may be ok, but on the long run, you'll thank the extra work (and so will people with lower specs PCs).

Nice work, Shadow Belmont but you're need to learn how to optimize your stuff better. Like the ground floors, instead of being a square each tile, could've been just a few big squares with a texture and a normal map. Same goes for the brick wall pieces which I know are meshes and good I don't even wanna know how many polys there are in those Sonic/Tails/Knuckles figures.

As it is right now may be ok, but on the long run, you'll thank the extra work (and so will people with lower specs PCs).

I planned from the beginning to make everything of geometry for this level and see how it would go(it's mostly a portfolio piece, since I cant make enemies AI, and failed to set the camera as isometric), still it run smooth in 60 fps in medium resolution in my PC, whitch is a phenom x6 with radeon 6850, there are some wall planes with textures too, low poly for background that I was experimenting to cull the geometry from far and the place with texture shows up.

You right, if I was wanting to target this in low end this kind of stuff would never be a good idea, except if the isometric camera worked, that I could go for more strong cullings and pre computed visibility

The Sonic,tails knuckles statue have 8000 polys counted in UDK, but since everything is using UDK LOD system - Simplygon -, this get to 1000 polys from far. Since in this level wasn't too many objects I didn't minded get everything in high poly, also there is culling, LOD and precomputed visibility going on.

The blocks from ground and walls are elements os a bigger object exported from 3ds max, so I dont have a high call to draw every object, but groups, for example, there are 2x2,2x4,2x8,2x16 of evach object tile, block and leafs, I made tests with single objects and it eats the resource very fast.

P3edr0, I have read some of your posts in Sonic Retro you research a lot of stuff, so since you know the way around here I want to ask you something, you think there is any project that my skills and remaking process could be of use? Thanks.

Jassbec - Dont worry, I already corrected the mapping of the textures, those shots are older.

I planned from the beginning to make everything of geometry for this level and see how it would go(it's mostly a portfolio piece, since I cant make enemies AI, and failed to set the camera as isometric), still it run smooth in 60 fps in medium resolution in my PC, whitch is a phenom x6 with radeon 6850, there are some wall planes with textures too, low poly for background that I was experimenting to cull the geometry from far and the place with texture shows up.

You right, if I was wanting to target this in low end this kind of stuff would never be a good idea, except if the isometric camera worked, that I could go for more strong cullings and pre computed visibility

The Sonic,tails knuckles statue have 8000 polys counted in UDK, but since everything is using UDK LOD system - Simplygon -, this get to 1000 polys from far. Since in this level wasn't too many objects I didn't minded get everything in high poly, also there is culling, LOD and precomputed visibility going on.

The blocks from ground and walls are elements os a bigger object exported from 3ds max, so I dont have a high call to draw every object, but groups, for example, there are 2x2,2x4,2x8,2x16 of evach object tile, block and leafs, I made tests with single objects and it eats the resource very fast.

P3edr0, I have read some of your posts in Sonic Retro you research a lot of stuff, so since you know the way around here I want to ask you something, you think there is any project that my skills and remaking process could be of use? Thanks.

Jassbec - Dont worry, I already corrected the mapping of the textures, those shots are older.

That's great to hear, man. At Retro (or even here, but I believe he is more frequent in there), hit a PM to Xaklse and I think he'll be able to help you out with your camera problems.

About your question, people with projects are always looking out for extra modelers. From GDK users to Sonic Generations modders, I feel most of them would love some extra help, try hitting them up at Retro's since they're more frequent in there than here.

Oh derp. Probably should have said what they were for.

They're for my ESTATE project.

I got some critique from other sites and fixed up some stuff.

-Changed number of colors in grass and bush pallet to 4

-Completely reworked the bush sprites. Once again I've got them numbered as 1 and 2

-Made some brick wall sprites, including the basic pattern, curved wall edges, and the end of the pattern from the top side

-Attempted to make a carpet/rug flooring. Looks horrible I know. Probably too many colors again.

-Tried to cut back on the aliasing this time

-Shitty analog stick graphics are left unchanged

03mj.png

Still not sure about them bushes though. What do you guys think about the new ones?