A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

I'd take it a bit further and go for spindashing as well. So, yes on rolling.

Perhaps I should be explain the usefulness of rolling as opposed to spindashing.

In a 3D game where you are constantly moving forward, it helps to go slower than normal most of the time. This is so you can see things coming at you and better react. This is why Sonic Pocket Adventure's special stage was easier to play than Sonic 2's.

In the Saturn version of 3D blast, rolling was available in the special stages so that you could slow down and better react to things coming at you, just like dashers were also available to speed you up and make everything look cooler, but also made it more difficult to react to that string of bombs.

Think about the spindash for a second. In 3D Sonic games, it allows you to stop on a dime, then launch forwards super duper fast. This also usually comes at the cost of making Sonic more difficult to control.

You are in a tube where you are moving forward, only now you have a variable speed rather than a constant speed. Why would you want to sacrifice control and reaction time to make something look impressive?

Then again, Poe already said that it didn't work anyway, so I think I've only succeeded in wasting my breath and time here.

Well to be honest, I started thinking about 3D stuff a bit more after I read this post that Serephim had made. I didn't reply in it because at the time I didn't really have anything to say that could be contributed to the thread.

I actually have a lot more that I could talk about on the matter of 3D design and what makes it work, but that's for another day, another thread, and another forum section.

In order to add something relating to this thread, I'll post a small test that I did with some wavy sprite code.

hj8f.png

I don't know what gave me the idea to use pictures of Alfonzo Ribeiro, but I did add a function that plays "It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones if you press space.

http://www.mediafire.com/?x2u23ipcpl33102

Love the visual effects going on I can't tell if they're kinda moving to music or if it's just too late for me to be messing around with this.

Also I've been in a rotten mood all day and for some reason this has cheered me up considerably, I'm not sure that was the intended effect haha.

With SAGE being around fairly soon, the demo for Sonic: Edge of Darkness is nearly complete. All there is to do is add an options menu and fix a few last bugs. Here are some screens:

Title Screen:

Qs0lWv1.png

Temporary Menu System (most likely will change after SAGE demo release):

Ng4L6iI.png

And the typical in-game screenshots:

mozAKX6.png

l1sYWvg.png

In the coming weeks Delta and I plan to release a SAGE demo trailer as well. Stay tuned guys. ^^

I haven't heard squat about SAGE this year. Last year, we had been talking about it since May 4th. And here we are, with the "normal" date for SAGE only a month away, and we haven't discussed it a bit! Heck, the topic for Q&A about it was started July 17th!

Seriously, can we start a thread in General Discussion to talk about SAGE this year? With the lack of talk about it, I'm starting to get worried.

Freak out aside, the screens look good Delta. Really looking forward to playing Edge of Darkness.

It looks good from what I can see, though you should tweak the HUD in the normal levels, because it looks like it's still flashing even though you got rings...

Also, I really wish someone would make an HQ version of those Special stage sprites, they're so ungodly ugly when they're resized.

Okay so I've realized just how easy it is to update the Special Stage graphics.

cud.gif

That's a potentially ideal interpretation of what the graphics should look like at that resolution. The way they appear originally is due to the fact that they are stored at a size as small as 64 X 112 in the rom. When the special stage data is called upon by the game, the graphics are taken, mirrored or tiled to match what part of the tube is being drawn, and then blown up to twice its size. That's why the special stages aren't full screen when you access them in Sonic 2.

That looks beautiful.

Anyway, Poe, yay to bumpers. Also, you're second half/speed up idea gave me one of my own. If the player gets enough rings for the emerald, how about a bonus section? The character would get launch from a spring and through NiGHTS-esque loops, allowing them to stay in the air and collect rings? Also, for the entry of the Special Stage, how about an extension of the ending sequence if an act, sort of like this:

Just my ideas.

Well in the first level there are way too many loops. Old Whirlwind Level design 4 has four loops in the same shot, and that's about one loop too many. I also think there needs to be more flow in the level. Place a shallower slope at the bottoms of all the hills so that it gradually slopes up instead of a stark angle, and maybe add some more half pipes to the level design so that you can ramp up with a rolling attack and get some air. Other than that, you might want to add more background things to the level to give it some life and make it pop.

Finally got around to redoing my game's HUD.

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/xIV8E8k.png[/qimg]

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/ikjxd98.png[/qimg]

I'll make some adjustments to it later on. More so on the shape and on the colours

Oh and I forgot about SAGE. Haven't got anything for it : S

Just remake a Classic level in Modern style and label it tech demo. It's what I'm doing to showcase a WIP engine by a certain lovely russian. :P