A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

I'd say very far from it. I get that sometimes most people think that start of that lots of shades for a color = better looking. I have found this is entirely not the case. Use fewer colors. You don't need to use over 9,000 shades of a color for a sprite for it to look good you can even use 16 or 8 or less and it'd look fantastic.

My second piece of critique is that it is pillow shaded. This is definetly something you need to stay away from. Pillow shading is where the source of light always resides in the center of the sprite. If you think about it now, it doesn't make much sense does it. You should always work from a light source. Top right or Top left are common ones. This may help explain it

Sometimes less is more as I'm sure you've heard this before. It really is as true to it's phrase. Try and keep away shading from the bottom of Sonic's eye as well. Most people make the mistake of adding shading here when there clearly can't be any for their is not brow on the top of his eye to create a shadow.

One final thing, I think you used pure white as a transparency color. It has kinda ruined your white on your Sonic though.

So yeah, that's about all I have to say.

That doesn't look pillowshaded to me -- the light is clearly coming from the front of his face. It looks like he simply built off the original sprite. If anything, it just has too many light sources. Try to pick one and have everything else cast a shadow. That puts more contrast on the light source and achieves a greater effect.

Aside from that the actual shading is fine to me, my issue would be with how difficult it'd probably be to keep that up in an animation if you did it by hand. I tried to count the colors in Sonic's sprite and stopped somewhere at like 10, which is far too many when i can't see you ever needing more than 3 or 4 per color. It may look better on a completed sprite, but in all actuality it'll only make your life harder when you realize you have to keep all those shades and colors up through every motion. It's detrimental to actually finishing something.

So yeah, work on establishing values a bit better. Try making the shadows on sonic a bit sharper in some places, like his shoes or under his leg. Other than that it isn't a bad sprite.

@Blazefire and Serephim: Thanks for the criticism.

I'm understanding what to do a little more.

Also, there wasn't supposed to be any transparency in it.

I'm not sure why a white block isn't behind it.

I'll look into fixing the colors and what have you and make less.

That tutorial is really helpful, Blazefire.

I did like over half the sheet.

(It's the Sonic 3 look as I always liked it the most.)

I shall return with a better one.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it guys.

OK, so it's been a while but I think I've gotten all shading down.

So, give it to me straight.

How did I do on the shading.

Be honest because I want to learn from my mistakes.

[qimg]http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g458/snowtoilet/Animation051.png[/qimg]

I can't wait to show you guys more.

Until then, keep it real.

Why do you have so many shades in such a small sprite?

Proof that Inferno is being worked on for the next Demo:

[qimg]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5505419/Inferno%20LOL.png[/qimg]

The engine is being remade in a much more stable base. So now most of the physics glitches are now gone and it runs a lot smoother.

You should rearrange the destructible blocks so that they appear in front of the Sonic sprite. Otherwise it messes with the illusion of them coming towards the camera.

Also, consider having half of them going the other way and going behind the player.

• Like 1

Why do you have so many shades in such a small sprite?

I know.

I'm working on it though.

Just practicing is all and thanks to Blazefire for the tutorial I'm understanding what I did wrong indeed.

Something for you guys here.

I literally created this in less than a minute out of boredom and decided I like it.

It's a working look but I'm going to put in my own creativity.

The first thing you guys are going to see of Sonic the Hedgehog: Grand Prix.

Here is a palm tree trunk concept design for the first zone of Grand Prix, (Yes, my Green Hill "remake" of sorts) Turquoise Tropics:

Untitled-6.png

Pretty nifty, huh?

The design I thought of is going to be a few "carvings" within each piece.

Two for the big ones and one for the small ones.

The top, where the leaves are going to be, will have two carvings as well.

In TTZ, there will be normal sized palms and small ones.

The small ones are just shorter.

Anyone like?

@P3DRO AEY WANNA PLAY THUS

@FGR Long time no see. I like what ou got here, I'd also like to see more from this project of yours.

@Mr. S

r0bae0.png

^ These green tiles are just a recolor,but they look familiar to me...

wtf.png

I might be wrong, yet you should explain this.

Also,they don't fit.

EDIT: PLEASE IGNORE THIS. I was so dumb that I didn't recall this wasn't the recolor I made.

I guess LH is mad because of the pallete. But... Meh it's just some colors, bro.

Also, looking very unique, FGR. Need some tweaks here and there like... A better background and some adjustments on the character (It's kinda hunchbacked)

And the enemies I supose they're placeholders due the lack of shading, right?

Anyways, looking foward to see more.