A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ftb (old And Outdated Concepts)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ugly placeholders.

I'm trying to replicate the palmtree in the concept you made for Green Gate.

Ohoho, that tree; it's based off of a tree I photographed at the St. Louis Botanic Gardens. If you would like, I can draw a larger version that would be easier to reference.

I can draw up ideas for Acts 2 and 3 too. You said the former was in the forest and that latter...erm, I can't remember. :P That, and starting badniks.

Ohoho, that tree; it's based off of a tree I photographed at the St. Louis Botanic Gardens. If you would like, I can draw a larger version that would be easier to reference.

I can draw up ideas for Acts 2 and 3 too. You said the former was in the forest and that latter...erm, I can't remember. :P That, and starting badniks.

That would help a lot!

EDIT: By the way, Lone and SG started to remaster Arid Bluffs for Caliente Carnival.

StarvingGecko here with even more conceptual goodness from today's sketching.

ggzoneideas.png

Originally I was drawing ideas for Cave Complex again, but I decided that Green Gate needed love. I began messing with various color palletes for the previously conceptualized tiles and such, like the roots and grass, and came up with an idea for Act 2 similar to Wood Zone or Mushroom Hill. Also, I reinterpreted Jassbec's green gate from earlier as a green crystal formation, which I'm also considering making into loops and stuff. :P Also, an old badnik given colors and a name: as before he basically drops himself on Sonic when he's close beneath him, unless Sonic is above him, where he can hit the grappler and send him plummeting fruitlessly.

Also Jass, here is that tree you wanted!

ggzonetree.png

Also, here is something I snuck into a class assignment:

ivysicle.png

Just a badnik idea for Frozen Foliage. Note the half-assed level mockups. His attack pattern is listed, so need for that, unless to note that Verticals are basically motionless, whereas Horizontals can change direction.

Enjoy the fruit of my sketchy labors. :P

StarvingGecko here with even more conceptual goodness from today's sketching.

[qimg]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4458/ggzoneideas.png[/qimg]

Originally I was drawing ideas for Cave Complex again, but I decided that Green Gate needed love. I began messing with various color palletes for the previously conceptualized tiles and such, like the roots and grass, and came up with an idea for Act 2 similar to Wood Zone or Mushroom Hill. Also, I reinterpreted Jassbec's green gate from earlier as a green crystal formation, which I'm also considering making into loops and stuff. :P Also, an old badnik given colors and a name: as before he basically drops himself on Sonic when he's close beneath him, unless Sonic is above him, where he can hit the grappler and send him plummeting fruitlessly.

Also Jass, here is that tree you wanted!

[qimg]http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/921/ggzonetree.png[/qimg]

Also, here is something I snuck into a class assignment:

[qimg]http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6952/ivysicle.png[/qimg]

Just a badnik idea for Frozen Foliage. Note the half-assed level mockups. His attack pattern is listed, so need for that, unless to note that Verticals are basically motionless, whereas Horizontals can change direction.

Enjoy the fruit of my sketchy labors. :P

Yay! Green Gate stuff!

Act 2 seems suspiciously similar to this

springbreezefg2.png

which is not a bad thing 'cuz i love Kirby!

And i'll start working on the tree.

Also, i really like that Badnik for Frozen Foliage!

Ha, that Act 2 tree style also reminded me of:

tiny-toon-adventures_2s.jpg

Which is epic because that was my second favourite game on the Megadrive and that was my most favourite level. I was planning on using a similar design in my FUTURE YET TO BE NAMED Sonic game but I approve of something else using it before me (less work for me!).

I laughed my ass off at the "whatever" moniker. Also, pretty neat concepts! I like how inventive you're being with the roots, especially since the were originally one-off ideas. :3

Also, herp-derp-American-coverart-concept-sketch.

[qimg]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7599/coverconcept.png[/qimg]

Robotnik's hand is weird because 'MERICA.

Shut-up-and-take-my-rings.png

Haha, nice to see I've got a good reception.

I've been trying to draw up ideas for Raindrop Ruins, though its been rather tricky; I keep going for a slightly Aquatic Ruin feel, but with more rain, jungles, and Native American-inspired architecture. Also, random wrecked ships for some reason. I also considered lending some creations intended for my own project for the stage, since it's been giving me a little trouble.

...also, Frozen Foliage needs to have this in an

Hurr Durr, here's some concepts for Raindrop Ruin and Caliente Carnival i made when i was bored in class bla bla bla...

I just need a solid concept so i can make the zones >.>

So, here's what i've done.

Raindrop Ruin

me_0001.jpg

(Made an Eggmovile based on the one on the "cover" art.)

Caliente Carnival

me_0002.jpg

(I have a solid idea for the foreground... But i can't think of a background :scool: )

Yup, yup, yup.

EDIT: And yay! new Sonic game announced for the Wii U!

Alrighty, tomorrow's my last day of high school forever and ever, so here is some Green Gate concepts I drew based on Jassbac's ideas:

ggzobeconcepts.png

Mostly stuff concerning the boss, and some of Jassbec's layout and object concepts, including some mixed with my own.

Also, I'm going to personally make it my mission to insert a secret Classic Big into every level of the game in DAH MOST SECRET OF SPATS. Also, I had no ref for Big so NO GET MAD AT ME.

I'mma be more productive after this nightmare is over, I promise!

Alrighty, tomorrow's my last day of high school forever and ever, so here is some Green Gate concepts I drew based on Jassbec's ideas:

[qimg]http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8531/ggzobeconcepts.png[/qimg]

Mostly stuff concerning the boss, and some of Jassbec's layout and object concepts, including some mixed with my own.

Also, I'm going to personally make it my mission to insert a secret Classic Big into every level of the game in DAH MOST SECRET OF SPATS. Also, I had no ref for Big so NO GET MAD AT ME.

I'mma be more productive after this nightmare is over, I promise!

I still have 3 weeks of school left, damnit.

I had an idea of inserting Easter eggs in the stages WAAAAY before starting the game. Big the cat seems a reasonable Easter egg =P

Also...

How about each boss is an Eggman dummy? i mean, not the real Eggman?

Same story here, i'll be more productive when summer break starts.

(I still have a couple of years left, shit.)

That was the idea Highwire! :D

The entire game is pretty much a build up for Sonic's and Eggman's face-to-face meeting.

Anyway, i was bored at school, blah blah blah same story.

Concepts for Botanik Badnik

me-1.jpg

I'm starting to figure out what to do with it, i just need more solid stuff. (And i'm also doing some concepts for the Robotizer gimmick in Act 3)

Unlike...

Eternal Elevator...sigh...

me_0001-1.jpg

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH IT, HALP!

That was the idea Highwire! :D

The entire game is pretty much a build up for Sonic's and Eggman's face-to-face meeting.

Anyway, i was bored at school, blah blah blah same story.

Concepts for Botanik Badnik

[qimg]http://jassbecspot.webs.com/photos/undefined/me-1.jpg[/qimg]

I'm starting to figure out what to do with it, i just need more solid stuff. (And i'm also doing some concepts for the Robotizer gimmick in Act 3)

Unlike...

Eternal Elevator...sigh...

[qimg]http://jassbecspot.webs.com/photos/undefined/me_0001-1.jpg[/qimg]

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH IT, HALP!

Hmmm Botanik Badnik is starting to look a little like metallic madness. If that's the case then I've got some ideas for that. :Roll:

As for Eternal Elevator...hmm. Well what if it's a city being built by robotnik that leads UP to the Botanik Badniks Base...place. Sonic needs to enter, but there's a wall in the way. No way to get above it without flying. So sonic snatches up one of robotnik's planes and learns how to fly one.

Act 2 could be a more Starlight Speedway ad Future kind of deal (in terms of looks anyway).

Apparently, doodling during finals downtime is my equivalent to getting hammered. GO HOME ZACH, YOU'RE DRUNK:

eggmobile.png

eggangler.png

I...don't know honestly. I dig Emerald Angler myself, but considering my love of Spinball's eccentricities...

And Jassbec, I've been saving all of the concept art you've been posting; they make for wonderful references when it comes to what direction we wanna' go in (still calling Cave Complex though, srsly).

EDIT - And oh snap, I noticed you drew the Battlesnake idea I had. XD And Badnik Sonic is oddly adorable.

I have an idea for eternal elevator.

Why not just have it as one act. One giant vertically scrolling act.

You could achieve some really cool sense of progression if you have a parallax background that changes visually at different intervals instead of the differences being divided by acts?

I think you could have a very cool level here if the game play gimmicks focused on the feeling of progression, flight, boosting upwards, etc. Would be one of the more memorable levels.

Just a thought.

Alrighty, I've been following quite a few sprite tutorials, especially DerZocker's tilesprite tutorial, and I've been practing some tilework. I'll have some practice runs done soon, if Paint.net stops crashing on me. :x

Also Jass, I've thought about it a smidge, and I'd like to see some ideas out of you for Cavern Complex, that are in conjunction with all the ones I've spewed out. You've had some really great ideas and concepts lately, and I'm rather smitten with them as of late. :P