A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ftb (old And Outdated Concepts)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um..wow, you could have at least made those posts relevant to the discussion instead of useless spam. But ok then.

Loving the concepts and designs so far. Can't wait to see how you guys balance the color pallet with these designs.

Might need to work on that intro, it sounds like the beat and melody aren't matching up quite right. Aside from that, pretty neat stuff! I'll definitely keep your stuff in mind in the future.

And who says you guys on the outside won't have fun? I have some fun right here! Faux-American Sonic art styled fun! (Done without reference to boot, and at school!)

ftbposter.png

I wanted to capture the rather crude, yet fun look of the American artwork, as well as intentionally made the badnik designs a bit more..off-mode? I dunno', that Battlesnake is rather accurate. I went back and added some details I saw on Ass-faced...I mean, American Sonic's design and such, but I kinda' think it came out a little too Japanese. Oh well, it was fun to do.

(Also, anyone who feels inclined to color/ touch this up in the style is welcome to, and also welcome to get replace those awful letters at the bottom. Just saying. Implying nothing at all!)

EDIT - Doh, looking at my game boxes, the flaws are obvious now. Fudge. Damn my knowledge of Sonic's standard Japanese design! :B

Puttin' stuff in spoiler tags to save space. Rock on.

I CULURD UR PICCHUR CUZ AM GOOD ARTIST I ONCE DRAWED A DOG

qmWeOOP.png?1

On a more serious, and possible 'spoiler' related note:

I've had this concept since I heard the music for the Moon Mansion Special Zone music from ATS, which starts off with a sort of... basic, tame beat and then suddenly, it just kicks in to all this badass music.

In my head, I saw Sonic on the top of the Mansion, with a great clock, which was counting down in time with the original basic beat (at the start of the stage, this is). And just as the clock suddenly hits '12' the floor drops open in to some big, scary looking level AT THE SAME TIME as the music kicking in to full gear.

Then I thought, 'hang on, could I use that here, somewhere?'. I looked through the levels and the best I could fit it for was Gear Gorge, due to the relation between GEARS and CLOCKS (a big mechanical clock would sort of make sense, here). So I came up with this concept (again, it's just placeholder art, not the actual thing):

8L2LuDg.png

Basically, the level would start, you see this big clock, the music is at a low pace, you run to the right, you see this door. Outside the door is LIGHT and FREEDOM. Below the platform you're on, is just darkness so you just ignore it and expect the timer will open the door for you.

But as the timer hits 12, the floor drops open and you find yourself in the dangerous inner-workings of the Dam (think burst pipes, big moving mechanical parts, everything's kind of dark and scary), and the music suddenly kicks in to gear (pun not intended)!

This would occur for the Third Act, after you've run through the main complex and reach the end, thinking it's all over.

AND AS I CAN SEE ON THE LEVEL LIST, the next zone is Cave Complex! Keeping in mind, you JUST dropped UNDERGROUND! It fits perfectly!

Oh, also, the clock wouldn't look like that in the real thing. I want it to look a bit more sinister... more gears and such. Has to look like it's crudely put together from random parts of machinery.

Here's the music I used for the 'inspiration', by the way: https://soundcloud.com/tunners/boogie-boogie-moon-mansion

If you were to shorten the opening slightly... then make the clock tick with every beat... then when it hits that main bit, you get thrown in to the darker areas.

SO, WHADDAYA THINK?!

Reply Time!

Lone, i like where you're going with the music.

Thank you Highwire! you'll see some REAL stuff once my school finals are done ( they suck, suuuck!)

And holy crap Gecko, that cover art is plain beautiful,let's get someone to color it and we got ourselves a Sountrack cover :P

EDIT: Reply Time 2!

Yup, there will be cutscenes, they're like comic book panels, here's what i mean.

It's just a LITTLE outdated, but it's basically the same deal, music for cutscenes would not be a good idea due to the timer based nature of the cutscenes, in other words, the cutscene might go faster in some computers than other, music would work if it just reflect the mood of what's going on,like some sort of loop.

And Chaos, that's a really good idea! :D

Puttin' stuff in spoiler tags to save space. Rock on.

I CULURD UR PICCHUR CUZ AM GOOD ARTIST I ONCE DRAWED A DOG

[qimg] qmWeOOP.png?1 [/qimg]

MY SIDES

THEY'RE REELING

On a more serious, and possible 'spoiler' related note:

I've had this concept since I heard the music for the Moon Mansion Special Zone music from ATS, which starts off with a sort of... basic, tame beat and then suddenly, it just kicks in to all this badass music.

In my head, I saw Sonic on the top of the Mansion, with a great clock, which was counting down in time with the original basic beat (at the start of the stage, this is). And just as the clock suddenly hits '12' the floor drops open in to some big, scary looking level AT THE SAME TIME as the music kicking in to full gear.

Then I thought, 'hang on, could I use that here, somewhere?'. I looked through the levels and the best I could fit it for was Gear Gorge, due to the relation between GEARS and CLOCKS (a big mechanical clock would sort of make sense, here). So I came up with this concept (again, it's just placeholder art, not the actual thing):

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/8L2LuDg.png[/qimg]

Basically, the level would start, you see this big clock, the music is at a low pace, you run to the right, you see this door. Outside the door is LIGHT and FREEDOM. Below the platform you're on, is just darkness so you just ignore it and expect the timer will open the door for you.

But as the timer hits 12, the floor drops open and you find yourself in the dangerous inner-workings of the Dam (think burst pipes, big moving mechanical parts, everything's kind of dark and scary), and the music suddenly kicks in to gear (pun not intended)!

This would occur for the Third Act, after you've run through the main complex and reach the end, thinking it's all over.

AND AS I CAN SEE ON THE LEVEL LIST, the next zone is Cave Complex! Keeping in mind, you JUST dropped UNDERGROUND! It fits perfectly!

Oh, also, the clock wouldn't look like that in the real thing. I want it to look a bit more sinister... more gears and such. Has to look like it's crudely put together from random parts of machinery.

Here's the music I used for the 'inspiration', by the way: https://soundcloud.com/tunners/boogie-boogie-moon-mansion

If you were to shorten the opening slightly... then make the clock tick with every beat... then when it hits that main bit, you get thrown in to the darker areas.

SO, WHADDAYA THINK?!

Hmm, a rather interesting idea. I've got some plans for Gear Gorge I've yet to drop in yet myself, I just need to draw 'em. :P

Anywho, I have this old piece of crap here that is both proof I can post my MIDIS finally, and to see if anyone is willing to suggest a new home for this old thing. BTW, totally going to work on Cave Complex compositions because of this recent development. That level seems to be my baby now. :x *Is totally breaking his suggestion of working on levels first, music later, because hypocritical asshat*

Hmm, a rather interesting idea. I've got some plans for Gear Gorge I've yet to drop in yet myself, I just need to draw 'em. :P

Ha! Go nuts, I just wanna worm that clock thing in there somewhere. It'll surprise the player + Timing stuff with music = Epic feeling when you're playing.

I really only threw in the rusty underground bit because I thought it might work better with that type of music (and underground -> Cave Complex works well).

But ALL IS WELL.

Here's a concept on how the last 5 zones will connect.

[qimg]http://jassbecspot.webs.com/photos/undefined/me_0003_NEW-1.jpg[/qimg]

Running out of ideas you say? I'LL SAVE YOOOOOOOOU

...when I get more stuff drawn and all that. :P

I do think that Caliente Carnival would look good with a green and orange color scheme similar to Wacky Workbench Past, but with Carnival-themed tiles and such (and of course your ground tiles) :P

scd-ww-appearanceimg3.png

The last few zones...I've put some ideas towards 'em, but not much. You're right about Eternal Elevator being the hardest to work for, lol.

Also, Battlesnake sprite is being a bit troublesome, but I'm working on it!

Reply Time!

Lone, i like where you're going with the music.

Well thanks! I'm almost done. I'll post what I have so far later

[quote name=JEdit Reply Time 2!

Yup' date=' there will be cutscenes, they're like comic book panels, here's what i mean.

It's just a LITTLE outdated, but it's basically the same deal, music for cutscenes would not be a good idea due to the timer based nature of the cutscenes, in other words, the cutscene might go faster in some computers than other, music would work if it just reflect the mood of what's going on,like some sort of loop.

Oh no not music, I meant animation.

https://www.box.com/s/gsvqj8w74ypt5elsuvjn

I'm calling this version one just in case anything needs to be changed.

So far it sounds really good! Just let me get my earbuds and listen more carefuly.

EDIT: yup, it's really good, but the piano part in the middle, sound good, but it's a little, well i dunno, you should shorten it or something, other than that, i like it a LOT.

EDIT: you know what, i'm not good at giving criticism at music, i'm to blinded from the awesomeness of the song.

Oh no not music, I meant animation.

Ooh, didn't know you made animations, you can show me something and i'll see, but i can barely animate and i'll rather have you as a composer and keep the cutscenes the same intead of letting you do animation.

Look at it from my eyes. :)

Speaking of which, should i insert dialogue into the cutscenes, or keep them mute like Lake's cutscenes?

EDIT: crap, i'm sorry for my triple post, forgive me <:D

https://www.box.com/s/gsvqj8w74ypt5elsuvjn

I'm calling this version one just in case anything needs to be changed.

Oh wow, this is really cool! I've still got my iffyness about the beginning, but the rest sounds great! Also, am I the only one who hears Modern Sky Troops in the first part of the main melody? Maybe you should reference that in another act. XD

Also, I think that as far as music goes, I'm (kinda'-sorta') callin' dibs on Cave Complex and Gear Gorge: I've got some ideas for both of 'em, and since they'll be MIDI compositions, someone can go in and remaster the tracks with better instrumentation.

I'll just say I have some ideas towards musical nods to past Sonic tracks. ;)

EDIT - Also, I vote for mute. As a preference. :3 Also, Botanik Badnik did give me vibes of Perilous Paradise admittedly, though I'm sure more original concepts can be suggested towards it!

Back to the drawing board! :|

I'd vote sticking with the robot creation theme and make it more of a sort of... Laboratory Base style level. E.g. Instead of being a holding place for the animals, make it the actual place where they become 'roboticized'. As in, more off a mass-production base. Since Sonic gets turned in to a robot earlier, we know Robotnik can do it whenever he chooses but going round to every animal himself would take forever.

Therefore:

Act 1 - Similar to Perilous Paradise, everything is eerily 'okay'. This is like, the animal pen where the roboticizer accesses the animals that are then place in the machine (robot arms and stuff).

Act 2 - Then you find out the reality of what's going on, following the path in to the roboticizer itself.

Act 3 - Deep in to the machine, you find the roboticizer devices themself. I can see copies of the device Robotnik used on Sonic earlier, transforming animals as you run around and you have to avoid getting hit by the machine. If you do, it roboticizes you, much like earlier, and you have to tap 'jump' to break out (similar to the ice block freezers from a lot of Snow Levels).

Edit:A common interesting theme I noticed in the differences between acts in BTS (and especially the ATS beta) is that the Zones start off relatively calm in the first Act, then become more active as you progress to the second and third act. My ideas are all based on this concept...

E.g. in this case: Tropical Ecosystem full of animals -> Pipes and conveyor belts with animals -> Machine roboticizing animals

NATURALLY: You would try to keep the 'ecosystem' theme throughout. The pipes/conveyor belts would be covered in plants and so would the machines in Act 3, HOWEVER, the plant life decreases as you go, showing the transition between a peaceful tropical hub to a mechanised forest.