A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ftb (old And Outdated Concepts)

Well personally I imagined a bunch of super high skyscrapers standing tall above deep gorges covered in glistening crystals that divided themselves into different caverns that make up the underworld of the city. Kind of a jarring and direct transition between the two levels.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankya' for the sprites, I'll save those away. Also, I'm trying to figure out what your implying for the Special Stage with showing us that, sorry. XD

Also, pulling this quote from earlier:

though music actually gives me ideas, Caliente Carnival pretty much came out of the SG's songs i showed you.

It's actually been the same idea with me; I've been listening to different songs that I felt went with my view of the level concepts. For example:

Raindrop Ruin Zone keeps making darker, more dramatic music come to mind, since I keep imaging an enormous amount of blues and some green in the level, and rain and thunderstorms and such.

When I was initially coming up with ideas, for Cave Complex Zone, I used these songs as inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRg69vtX3FA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwZ_BzGO_e8

Not quite Sonic-y yes, but meh.

Still thinking about Frozen Foliage, though I've been listening to this song quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqEtoWTffKo

Thankya' for the sprites, I'll save those away. Also, I'm trying to figure out what your implying for the Special Stage with showing us that, sorry. XD

Also, pulling this quote from earlier:

It's actually been the same idea with me; I've been listening to different songs that I felt went with my view of the level concepts. For example:

Raindrop Ruin Zone keeps making darker, more dramatic music come to mind, since I keep imaging an enormous amount of blues and some green in the level, and rain and thunderstorms and such.

When I was initially coming up with ideas, for Cave Complex Zone, I used these songs as inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRg69vtX3FA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwZ_BzGO_e8

Not quite Sonic-y yes, but meh.

Still thinking about Frozen Foliage, though I've been listening to this song quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqEtoWTffKo

I don't know if you remember we talked about in in the screenshots thread, Special Stage Zone is Zone 11, the Zone after Scrap Skies, where Eggman finds the emeralds,bla bla bla. I pretty much mean i want Special Stage Zone to look like Radiant Emerald from Sonic R.

EDIT: For Frozen Foliage, i had something like this in mind, desolate and happy at the same time.

http://http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H7v-fNrzhms

Or look for Kirby aurora area.

I don't know if you remember we talked about in in the screenshots thread, Special Stage Zone is Zone 11, the Zone after Scrap Skies, where Eggman finds the emeralds,bla bla bla. I pretty much mean i want Special Stage Zone to look like Radiant Emerald from Sonic R.

EDIT: For Frozen Foliage, i had something like this in mind, desolate and happy at the same time.

http://http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H7v-fNrzhms

Or look for Kirby aurora area.

Ooooooooh yeah, now I remember. I was wondering how the heck Special Stages got involved in this, considering the circumstances. I remember now though. :P

Also, that fits pretty well too. I've got some ideas in mind for it, but those'll be for later. In the meantime, I've got layout ideas to post soon.

EDIT - Also, spoilered some posts for size reasons and stuff. I'll probably do that with ensuing posts.

So I assume we're focusing on Caliente Carnival zone atm?

Jassbec says he was currently working on graphics for that (strangely enough I haven't drawn my own tile ideas for that yet), and says he'd try out Cave Complex next. I've got more sketches level-aesthetic wise I'll be posting up soon to help get ideas off of the ground (Green Gate and Cave Complex FYI).

Level layout concepts and a WIP sprite.

levelconcepts.png

Messed around with mixing Green Gate's original tropical-beach Act 1 with some of my own, including the mountains and the roots and such. Still messin' around with this, but yeah.

Cave Complex has been a hard one for me, since the main inspirations for it were rather pretty yet simple. For this idea I implemented creepy tidbits, since it goes along with the fear atmosphere of the level. Also, note that that is indeed water along the bottom of the level that the mouths are spilling into.

Also, random loop and platform idea.

Whatya' think?

Also, beta Battlesnake sprite for testing in the works! Note the badnik sprite sheets and etc I'm using for reference. :P

battlesnakewip.png

Level layout concepts and a WIP sprite.

[qimg]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4918/levelconcepts.png[/qimg]

Messed around with mixing Green Gate's original tropical-beach Act 1 with some of my own, including the mountains and the roots and such. Still messin' around with this, but yeah.

Cave Complex has been a hard one for me, since the main inspirations for it were rather pretty yet simple. For this idea I implemented creepy tidbits, since it goes along with the fear atmosphere of the level. Also, note that that is indeed water along the bottom of the level that the mouths are spilling into.

Also, random loop and platform idea.

Whatya' think?

Also, beta Battlesnake sprite for testing in the works! Note the badnik sprite sheets and etc I'm using for reference. :P

[qimg]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8176/battlesnakewip.png[/qimg]

I like where you're going with Green Gate.

I think i know exactly what you want with Cave Complex, i'll try to make something; Also those faces in the walls spilling water are pretty unique details!

Battlesnake is looking really good, good job man!

EDIT: I'm using this song as a placeholder in Raindrop Ruin Zone

I like where you're going with Green Gate.

I think i know exactly what you want with Cave Complex, i'll try to make something; Also those faces in the walls spilling water are pretty unique details!

Battlesnake is looking really good, good job man!

Thankya'! I wanna' work on the creepy girl badnik sprite soon too, which I might work on alongside. Also, nice to see you approve of the level designs so far.

Speaking of which, I'd guess the classic multi-route secret-riddled level designs are what we're looking at here? Have you thought about how difficult you want each level to be? I figure it's important to figure out stuff like this before getting ahead of ourselves. :P

Thankya'! I wanna' work on the creepy girl badnik sprite soon too, which I might work on alongside. Also, nice to see you approve of the level designs so far.

Speaking of which, I'd guess the classic multi-route secret-riddled level designs are what we're looking at here? Have you thought about how difficult you want each level to be? I figure it's important to figure out stuff like this before getting ahead of ourselves. :P

Well, let's put it this way.

Hard Meter 1-5

Green Gate-1

Crystal City-2

Frozen Foliage-2

Gear Gorge-3 (Water Sections)

Cave Complex-4 (Water Sections)

Raindrop Ruin-4 (Lava Sections)

Caliente Carnival-3

Eternal Elevator-4

Botanik Badnik-4 (Water Sections)

Scrap Skies-5 (Lava Sections)

Special Stage-5 (Basically a boss rush with platforming in-between)

I'm aiming for Sonic 2-like level design.

EDIT: Oh, it's my 101 post!

EDIT 2: I'm trying to port gimmicks from the lastest version of Worlds to 0.5.

Ah, Sonic 2 level design sounds good. Also, the hard-o-meter makes it a bit easier to figure out what sort of badniks I should be makin'. :P

For Gear Gorge (which I keep imagining as a gorge filled with smelted metal and clockword machinary) for instance, I had the idea to make a badnik that was composed of two giant interlocked gears like in Metropolis/Mad Gear. They look like normal gears until Sonic gets halfway past the first gear (which were previously going against him), and then the eyes on each gear pop open and both gears speed up a little and reverse towards the insta-death crushing center. Thankfully they're quite large and thus offer a lot of space to get away, and that's all they can really do. It's just one of those "oh shit" moments I enjoy inducing. :B

How are things looking on your end by the way?

Ah, Sonic 2 level design sounds good. Also, the hard-o-meter makes it a bit easier to figure out what sort of badniks I should be makin'. :P

For Gear Gorge (which I keep imagining as a gorge filled with smelted metal and clockword machinary) for instance, I had the idea to make a badnik that was composed of two giant interlocked gears like in Metropolis/Mad Gear. They look like normal gears until Sonic gets halfway past the first gear (which were previously going against him), and then the eyes on each gear pop open and both gears speed up a little and reverse towards the insta-death crushing center. Thankfully they're quite large and thus offer a lot of space to get away, and that's all they can really do. It's just one of those "oh shit" moments I enjoy inducing. :B

How are things looking on your end by the way?

Pretty good, i'm playing with the Sonic Worlds a little bit, looking at the code, learning some stuff.

Ah I see, I hope that your further endeavors into the program prove fruitful towards the project. :3

Looking back at placeholder music,

strikes me as the perfect fit for Cave Complex - a dark, echoing and mysterious atmosphere, even rather creepy, yet still has that somewhat Sonic-style beat to it. The same goes for
, another favorite of mine. At least, that's my opinion thus far. :P

After all, this is a dark creepy cave full of badniks based on blind cave animals and ghostly children, with ghastly faces all over the place, and OH NO WATER IT GOT WORSE.

Ah I see, I hope that your further endeavors into the program prove fruitful towards the project. :3

Looking back at placeholder music,

strikes me as the perfect fit for Cave Complex - a dark, echoing and mysterious atmosphere, even rather creepy, yet still has that somewhat Sonic-style beat to it. The same goes for
, another favorite of mine. At least, that's my opinion thus far. :P

After all, this is a dark creepy cave full of badniks based on blind cave animals and ghostly children, with ghastly faces all over the place, and OH NO WATER IT GOT WORSE.

Yeah, it fits.

Pfft, ended up digging into more "technical" stuff after a 'bout of minor insomnia.

'twas diggin' through SFGHQ's Sound section, and found (the ever wonderful) Mr. Lange's sound rips from Sonic Spinball ~ which contained to my twisted joy a HQ version of Scorpius's screech, labeled under SS_015, only than discovered a slightly more fitting, feminine, and discordant sound under SS_048. This was perfect for Little Transister (yes, I'm calling the creepy little thing that), and I then expressed a desire to employ other Spinball sounds for her animations: for instance, SS_31 plays when her slowdown teleport aura is active, SS_66 plays if the player fails to escape in time and SS_36 plays after the player gets teleported to the last checkpoint.

I'M SORRY GUYS FINDING THE SOUND SECTION WAS A VERY BAD IDEA

(And I regret nothing...I'm totally going to sift through more sounds and stuff from the site for ideas!)

EDIT - Also, I'm starting to wonder if I should start making these idea concepts and such more private and such; considering the fact the game being peppered with concepts, and there are likely some ideas that are likely to or desired to be kept under wraps until later, perhaps it might be better to post stuff that evidences that actual game ala sprites, backgrounds, gameplay videos, etc. Considering how much we've stuffed the thread so far...:BBB

Pfft, ended up digging into more "technical" stuff after a 'bout of minor insomnia.

'twas diggin' through SFGHQ's Sound section, and found (the ever wonderful) Mr. Lange's sound rips from Sonic Spinball ~ which contained to my twisted joy a HQ version of Scorpius's screech, labeled under SS_015, only than discovered a slightly more fitting, feminine, and discordant sound under SS_048. This was perfect for Little Transister (yes, I'm calling the creepy little thing that), and I then expressed a desire to employ other Spinball sounds for her animations: for instance, SS_31 plays when her slowdown teleport aura is active, SS_66 plays if the player fails to escape in time and SS_36 plays after the player gets teleported to the last checkpoint.

I'M SORRY GUYS FINDING THE SOUND SECTION WAS A VERY BAD IDEA

(And I regret nothing...I'm totally going to sift through more sounds and stuff from the site for ideas!)

EDIT - Also, I'm starting to wonder if I should start making these idea concepts and such more private and such; considering the fact the game being peppered with concepts, and there are likely some ideas that are likely to or desired to be kept under wraps until later, perhaps it might be better to post stuff that evidences that actual game ala sprites, backgrounds, gameplay videos, etc. Considering how much we've stuffed the thread so far...:BBB

Can you tell me where did you find those sound rips? I would like to test with them.

EDIT: Yup, but i don't know other way we can share things between us, skype perhaps?

Can you tell me where did you find those sound rips? I would like to test with them.

EDIT: Yup, but i don't know other way we can share things between us, skype perhaps?

I linked 'em in the spoilered paragraph, as "sound rips" next to Mr. Lange's name. :P

I dunno', I'd have to check out Skype first and all. As far as I'm concerned, PMs are fine ATM until another alternative arises.

https://www.box.com/s/qsd7zztsic67dkbtrii5

Would this work?