A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Ftb (old And Outdated Concepts)

Oh wow, this is really cool! I've still got my iffyness about the beginning, but the rest sounds great! Also, am I the only one who hears Modern Sky Troops in the first part of the main melody? Maybe you should reference that in another act. XD

Also, I think that as far as music goes, I'm (kinda'-sorta') callin' dibs on Cave Complex and Gear Gorge: I've got some ideas for both of 'em, and since they'll be MIDI compositions, someone can go in and remaster the tracks with better instrumentation.

I'll just say I have some ideas towards musical nods to past Sonic tracks. ;)

EDIT - Also, I vote for mute. As a preference. :3 Also, Botanik Badnik did give me vibes of Perilous Paradise admittedly, though I'm sure more original concepts can be suggested towards it!

StaticBlu is supposedly working on Gear Gorge, though he has not started yet.

Yeah, you should insert a Sky Troops reference in act 2 of something!

by the way i have this idea for Raindrop Ruin:

Act 1 - Act 2 - Boss - Act 3, let me explain, the boss was somehow controlling the weather, when you beat the boss, act 3 starts, it stops raining and there's a rainbow and a sunrise in the background.

And i'm keeping the cutscenes mute like i planned.

EDIT: yeah, let's stick with your idea Chaos, i also like the robotizer gimmick you mentioned, it could also be used to get through tight spaces or something.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I see. My idea for Gear Gorge was centered more towards a tune that played during a certain moment in gameplay, so yeh. :P

Act 3 after the Boss? That's an interesting twist - it's almost like a reverse Metropolis Zone: people would assume it would be a 2-Act stage, only to find the breather level afterwords. Pretty clever in my eyes at least.

Oh, and more Cave Complex badnik stuff:

ccbadniks.png

Awww, look at how blind they are.

Also, I noticed Arid Bluff Boss music at 0:24 sounds vaguely like the Excercise Mode from Bean Machine. I personally think it would be hilarious if during the song's second loop, it played a version of that. XD

Ah, I see. My idea for Gear Gorge was centered more towards a tune that played during a certain moment in gameplay, so yeh. :P

Act 3 after the Boss? That's an interesting twist - it's almost like a reverse Metropolis Zone: people would assume it would be a 2-Act stage, only to find the breather level afterwords. Pretty clever in my eyes at least.

Oh, and more Cave Complex badnik stuff:

[qimg]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/892/ccbadniks.png[/qimg]

Awww, look at how blind they are.

Also, I noticed Arid Bluff Boss music at 0:24 sounds vaguely like the Excercise Mode from Bean Machine. I personally think it would be hilarious if during the song's second loop, it played a version of that. XD

Now that you meantion Arid Bluff, i need to get in contact with SG again.

Oh wow, this is really cool! I've still got my iffyness about the beginning, but the rest sounds great! Also, am I the only one who hears Modern Sky Troops in the first part of the main melody? Maybe you should reference that in another act. XD

Hmm really? Well, I guess that's a pleasant coincidence.

Oh hey, I just got an idea so those sprites don't go to waste, AND it goes along with my idea for Botanic Badnik.

Okay, so my idea was that the level isn't just an enviroment in a dome, but its divided into an entire animal distribution and badnik production center, one act of which I'm imagining looks like Smolg from Ratchet & Clank.

Smolg.jpg

Anyway, I pictured robotizers in the background of one of the levels, and those mini-Battlesnakes would be rolling/looping endlessly on the conveyer belts/background! Seems like a good idea to me, at least. :x

Oh hey, I just got an idea so those sprites don't go to waste, AND it goes along with my idea for Botanic Badnik.

Okay, so my idea was that the level isn't just an enviroment in a dome, but its divided into an entire animal distribution and badnik production center, one act of which I'm imagining looks like Smolg from Ratchet & Clank.

[qimg]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090110042932/ratchet/images/d/dc/Smolg.jpg[/qimg]

Anyway, I pictured robotizers in the background of one of the levels, and those mini-Battlesnakes would be rolling/looping endlessly on the conveyer belts/background! Seems like a good idea to me, at least. :x

Wow, 3 pages already, anyways.

Capture.PNG

For Botanik Badnik, based on the picture. I used emerald hill's grass and the 16-bit Sunset Park tiles (IT'S A PLACEHOLDER NOT ACTUALLY IN GAME)

Those lack contrast,I suggest either using the palettes from the Sonic sprite being used,or another Genesis sprite with smiliar colors.

Edit:

Jassbec,if you're gonna use Modern Sonic,that's up to you,but you should at least be consistent about it,the player sprites are Modern,but the other graphics so far seem to use the classic design.They might be placeholders though,so just a heads up.

Those lack contrast,I suggest either using the palettes from the Sonic sprite being used,or another Genesis sprite with smiliar colors.

Yeah, truthfully my experience with spriting at this point is rather primitive. All of the badnik sprites I've looked at so far lacked a proper "white" main color, so I was unsure of how to confront it. :B

EDIT - AAAAAAAAND immediately afterwords I realize Clucker has a white palette. How in the world do I miss this crap right after the moment I need it?

Edit:

Jassbec,if you're gonna use Modern Sonic,that's up to you,but you should at least be consistent about it,the player sprites are Modern,but the other graphics so far seem to use the classic design.They might be placeholders though,so just a heads up.

I honestly don't know what you mean by consistent, it's just a sprite. Classic, Modern, it's still Sonic.

I honestly don't know what you mean by consistent, it's just a sprite. Classic, Modern, it's still Sonic.

To be fair, this IS a prequel to Sonic one we're working on; if we intend to follow the timeline, I suppose it would be imperative to use the design appropriate for such. :P Besides, nothing says we can't make our own version for this eventually.

Also, I'm pretty sure he's also referring to consistency in the sprites; I suppose that is something else to keep in mind, lest the game comes out with a very clashy, odd look.

To be fair, this IS a prequel to Sonic one we're working on; if we intend to follow the timeline, I suppose it would be imperative to use the design appropriate for such. :P Besides, nothing says we can't make our own version for this eventually.

Also, I'm pretty sure he's also referring to consistency in the sprites; I suppose that is something else to keep in mind, lest the game comes out with a very clashy, odd look.

Then i guess i'll start ripping the SonicBooster sprites from Mod.Gen

Then i guess i'll start ripping the SonicBooster sprites from Mod.Gen

I dunno', we might wanna' just use Sonic 2 or CD sprites or other for the moment; after all, your backup team needs something simple to work with. :B

In this way, we would have assets more consistent, thus looking a bit more impressive, and as such making the game more attractive to people...in theory? :B

I dunno', we might wanna' just use Sonic 2 or CD sprites or other for the moment; after all, your backup team needs something simple to work with. :B

In this way, we would have assets more consistent, thus looking a bit more impressive, and as such making the game more attractive to people...I think. :B

Since i haven't done way to much to the code... Should i attempt at moving the project to the lastest version of Sonic Worlds? I kinda don't want because it works a little different and i don't want to install all of those extensions.

Since i haven't done way to much to the code... Should i attempt at moving the project to the lastest version of Sonic Worlds? I kinda don't want because it works a little different and i don't want to install all of those extensions.

If the newest version of Worlds is mostly superior to its older counterpart, I would suppose that the effort would be worth it. I mean, I've had no way to get my hands on the software itself, but that's how it sounds to me.

On the other hand, are older versions of Worlds archived in any fashion under the circumstance of wanting to revert to such?

I'd ask someone who uses/has worked with the current version, honestly.

If the newest version of Worlds is mostly superior to its older counterpart, I would suppose that the effort would be worth it. I mean, I've had no way to get my hands on the software itself, but that's how it sounds to me.

On the other hand, are older versions of Worlds archived in any fashion under the circumstance of wanting to revert to such?

I'd ask someone who uses/has worked with the current version, honestly.

I'll see what can i do, i'm still going to keep my lastest doings in 0.5, i'm just going and try to "port it", but in some way i'll be starting at zero. (Programing wise)