A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Worlds Delta V1.2

Aikocho

How could Sonic Worlds be more user friendly than it already is? It couldn't be more neatly organized and thoroughly documented. You just have to take the time to fully read it and understand it. And this forum of course is always available if you have any questions about how stuff works.

Felik, you obviously haven't played it properly. Otherwise you wouldn't saying that. Its different and improved in many ways.

On another note.Lark, Why is the camera so complicated?

He was responding to your comment, not the build.

Also, you should pay a bit more attention to how the camera works. Almost every aspect of it is modifiable through the use of alterable values, and the camera performs a lot of auto-management to keep shifts within boundaries you can set, and to attempt to smoothly scroll into boundaries should you define them when the camera is not properly inside.

The code that you worry about is rather simple though. If you look near the top section of the code below the initialization, you can see Action values. You set an Action which tells the camera what type of action is taking place, and you normally set the boundaries for each action. That way, if you activate a boss, you just change the action value from normal to boss and the boundaries are set automagically.

Below that are camera Modes, which relate specifically to the scrolling technique the camera is using. Mode 0 is standard, in which the camera scrolls with the player. This part of the code is actually simpler than the default Worlds camera; all you do is set the CameraX and Y values directly, and directly modify the CameraShift values to scroll the camera offsetted from the Player; easy-squeezy.

The other two camera modes just move the camera into the boss zone and then back to the player when the boss is done. This helps to prevent lingering snapping issues when unexpected boundaries are created and released and the player/camera may not be in a workable situation for the camera to attempt to scroll normally. ( Initiating the boss without Mode 1 may still work, but when relying on the normal scroll-inside-of-boundaries technique, you'll notice issues due to the player being able to rush out of/to the ends of the zone quickly before the camera can center. )

The rest you really don't need to worry about, but you can take a look and try to understand the inner-workings a bit better if you like. The big bolded comments should make things slightly more self-explanatory. ;>

tl;dr

Just worry about setting the camera Action and camera Mode.

-Action lets you tell the camera what's going on; good for setting boundaries in a single step.

-Mode allows you to change the scrolling technique for custom movements; mode 0 is the default follow-the-player mode.

How could Sonic Worlds be more user friendly than it already is? It couldn't be more neatly organized and thoroughly documented. You just have to take the time to fully read it and understand it. And this forum of course is always available if you have any questions about how stuff works.

Actually I'm thinking we are going to phase this forum out once we commit this build and just have people ask about it in fangaming assistance from now on.

I'm thinking I just need to focus more on the coding and that's the largest obstacle holding me back. Art - Not an issue. I do have several questions, but wish someone could take me through it instead of posting topics about them to get help. Anyone willing to assist me 1-1?

Otherwise, I do agree that everything is nicely organized.

Surely. I am capable of altering certain events to an extent, but the main issue that I want resolved is mostly about the end of act events.

1.) Score tally is still out of whack and i'm needing to know what specific set of events are what I should be looking at to fix it. I did get some help on the SW Help topic but unfortunately wasn't able to understand the coding associated with that event.

2.) I need to know how to allow a frame to go to the next as if you've passed an act or zone and going to the next.

I hope I didn't make it seem like a whole lot to take on with so little details but if you could direct me to a good source to learn the event editor better, as well as some detailed coding information, that would help me out tremendously.

Surely. I am capable of altering certain events to an extent, but the main issue that I want resolved is mostly about the end of act events.

1.) Score tally is still out of whack and i'm needing to know what specific set of events are what I should be looking at to fix it. I did get some help on the SW Help topic but unfortunately wasn't able to understand the coding associated with that event.

2.) I need to know how to allow a frame to go to the next as if you've passed an act or zone and going to the next.

I hope I didn't make it seem like a whole lot to take on with so little details but if you could direct me to a good source to learn the event editor better, as well as some detailed coding information, that would help me out tremendously.

1. By score tally, I assume you mean the end of the level event and you are referring to the fact that he holds onto total bonus from the previous run through am I correct? If so, you should fix that by resetting the value whenever you start your events for loading the next level.

2. You'll need to replicate your frame. When you create an event that would end the level and load the next one, you might need to reset some relevant values (global values specifically) and then simply use a change frame action. Make sure changing the frame is the last action in the queue, because otherwise it'll skip over other actions.

• Like 1

1. - Yes but what happens is.. Sonic passes the sign, then the score is tallied up: It adds the score up + time bonus and ring bonus, but when it's done, it automatically throws in another 5000 points every time, which I know isn't right. It happens no matter what. I think I might have screwed up some coding (or something) while I was replacing the number fonts in the animation frames. I can't say for sure though.

I seriously don't know what I would have done to it just by replacing the numbers in the animation frames. I did it to all of them including the GUI but that's working fine. I was thinking of comparing my current event list editor to the base engine events to see if I could spot what's different.

2 - And you solved the next frame issue for me, it's great thanks DW!

So, I was thinking of doing a two act thing. However, I hear making the level super long could have perforamce issues. I think I'll still try it out thought.

Also, I plan to do a few (like 2-3) gimmicks.

Also.

So, I was thinking of doing a two act thing. However, I hear making the level super long could have perforamce issues. I think I'll still try it out thought.

Also, I plan to do a few (like 2-3) gimmicks.

Also.

Darn you Azuuuiuu~! You and your super flashy special effects!

I'm actually not sure if it would be best to rebuild my levels in this recent engine from scratch .. probably would be. Rather than trying to tackle the end of level score issue I 'somehow' created and wasting time.

Is it difficult 'at all' to alter the sprites in this version due to the additional neat stuff added in to the Sonic 3 sprites?

Nope. Not at all. You will need to add some events to control the animations, but I can walk you through that if you need me to.

Great! I'm going to attempt it eventually so if I bump into any ruts, i'll be sure to address it, thanks.

This version is rather nice and I don't mind the scrolling as it is. That being said, Sonic Mobius will be built with this one - and currently replacing GUI fonts, etc. now and then eventually sprites. Woah, going to be my first attempt at making a new Sonic sprite sheet, should be much interesting but not impossible.

Hey guys, I've added Hyper Sonic to the newest build of Sonic Worlds (Delta), I thought you guys would like to try it out, so I built an exe with Hyper Sonic playable for you all XD. Here's the link http://www.mediafire.com/?ejj4xjmnvoj, I've also included the mfa file if someone wants to know how I did it. The Changes to the last build are:

1. Added Hyper Sonic, he's separate to Super Sonic =P

2. Added the Hyper Form Monitor

3. Gave Hyper Sonic his Abilities from Sonic 3K, but I haven't figured out how to make the screen fllash, so if anyone wants to take a crack at it, be my guest ;).

4. I'ved changed the Sonic Sprite to the older SW one, I hope that doesn't upset anyone :( (Mkaoso please don't come after me for this x_x), If it does I'll switch it back.

5. Finally I can't figure out how to get the HS afterimages to work right and cycle colors, I got pissed at the events so when I get more time or when I feel like it I'll try again :P, or you guys can try it :)

Edit: Press the B key to set Chaos Emeralds to 7 and the N key to set Super Emeralds to 7 (Do not use both, or you'll end up turning into just Super Sonic, then you can only transform to Hyper with the new monitor). The monitor looks like the Super Form monitor with a cyan "S".

Just a little note; you could have made Hyper Sonic by changing the colors in the palette object to his hyper colors. The engine would have handled the rest. ;>

According to Kaosu, this method was already used ( I didn't actually look at the build =[ ).

He'd still have to add the special double jump attack.

As for screen flashes, I've done the effect before. In fact, it was part of the Pristine Palisade Nexus demo. On the boss there was lightning that would make a rather spectacular flash.

It's a simple effect really. You just have a box thats slightly larger than a screen width that fixes its position to the player's and destroys itself after so and so many frames. Create them whenever you need the flash. Alternatively you could have an object that doesn't get destroyed but merely changes its animation state, though that might be more overhead in the long run. Place the box on the top layer and thats that.