A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Worlds Delta V1.2

Aikocho

Found a bug...

If I go over the tunnel, by way of a Thunder Shield, Flying, or Climbing, then land on the little structure, I get rocketed in the direction I was facing.

EDIT: And looking at it, I know why. The entire structure is made of the stuff that rockets you forward if you're not moving. May want to wrap the outsides with some backdrops and climbable walls.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone!

I just thought it would be best if I clarified this ahead of time. Due to the depth of what's planned for Delta being changed drastically, I'll be releasing a build of Delta soon as 1.3 with all current additions, including the input manager, but NOT the level designer. Now would be a good time to put in a request for a small feature you'd want to see in Delta! For a short period of time I will support this release of 1.3 for bug fix purposes, but afterwards I will solely focus on the major reiteration currently code-named Delta 2.0. D2 will not be available for many months to come, and due to being highly experimental it will be closed-source until it's use with select projects have sufficiently proved to me that it is ready for public release. I do plan however to begin updating this topic with occasional milestone updates during the reiteration phase so you guys can stay updated as well as provide input while development occurs. Without going into detail (as concepts are still under brainstorm), D2's goals will be accuracy, efficiency, stability, flexibility, and collaboration. I wouldn't advise anyone to halt their current projects in anticipation for D2, and no it will not focus on cloning the Genesis Sonic engine; regardless, I hope you guys look forward to it in the future!

I assumed that even if it's not requested often, that the desire to have a helper with you was common among a lot of fangamers here, heh. Sadly to say though that feature would take too long for me to implement into Delta 1.3, nor would I want to deal with 2 concurrent engines in Delta's current state. D2's reworked engine structure will allow for multiple players to be handled pretty much seamlessly, so I'll be holding off on helpers until D2 reaches completion.

Eh I was more referring to core engine changes, bugs that you may have wanted fixed, etc. I mean in giving you guys Delta I was hoping you'd see the examples and code gimmicks and things like that yourselves. :P For example, one thing that was worked into the build is checkpoint time saving so you can't get bonus points by dying near the end of a level. I'll also be adding in a new function that Zero currently uses which reports what was the last action the player was doing upon landing so you can perform landing collision actions without worrying that you might land before your collision event triggers properly. Things of that nature.

Now would be a good time to put in a request for a small feature you'd want to see in Delta!

Fmod or Wwise integration. Preferably Wwise because it's far more powerful. Oh my god.

YEAH I JUST HAD TO GET THAT OFF MY CHEST, I'LL GO BACK QUIETLY TO MY CORNER NOW.

@Falk: As much as I know that's mostly a joke post, there is an Fmod extension for MMF2 already. :P I will be porting Zero's positional sound system I wrote into Delta 1.3 due to it being an extensionless technique, but I will leave it up to the developer if they want to use an audio extension instead for advanced features. As far as sound extensions go I'd highly recommend OpenAL.

@Topic: A little more info on Delta 1.3: Delta 1.3's main features include an input manager, positional sound system, and a ghost recording/playback technique. Sub-features include examples on multi-object badniks, efficient range-limiting techniques, proper water running, and of course bug fixes. I'll be cleaning up the boss example while I'm at it so those new to programming bosses can get an idea on how to avoid issues that the current one has and effectively use condition-based AI. Another week until release maybe, we'll see...

One thing I'd like to request is the Tails partner AI like Sonic 2 or 3, including the option to play him as player 2. Other than that, 1.3 sounds awesome :)

This. A million times this.

I know that Vexer included a Tails partner system in the latest version of Sonic Axiom, and I'd love to get my hands on that if he'd be willing to share how he did it. I hope there's a way to pull if off without needing to clone all of Player 1's sensors and such.

@Falk: As much as I know that's mostly a joke post, there is an Fmod extension for MMF2 already. :P I will be porting Zero's positional sound system I wrote into Delta 1.3 due to it being an extensionless technique, but I will leave it up to the developer if they want to use an audio extension instead for advanced features. As far as sound extensions go I'd highly recommend OpenAL.

The FMOD extension isn't anywhere near complete last I looked (granted, years ago)

Also