A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Genesis

toaster1

Woah. If I'm correct there's a version of GSI already contained within Sonic Dash, although I may be wrong. It keeps everything at an average of 57 FPS in my level so far. How would you go about implementation if otherwise?

Thank you for all your awesome help, I wish there was stuff I could do in return. =/

No worries you're new and you're learning quite quickly I might add.

To answer you question Game Maker disables objects but that isn't nearly as effective as GSI. To way to implant GSI is to copy all the stuff over from the example I used the GlobalControler object for that and then place all the objects you want to be deactivated right under comment "// Register all object types" the code should be something like: scrGridObject_Add(_Grid, objParentTerrain); Also any object that is deactivated in GSI should not be deactivated with GameMaker's deactivation. If that is too much for you you can send me your .gmk and I'll do it for you.

Yeah, when I finish my first act I'll send you it for GSIfication. Do you need to include the dll with the executable versions, by the way?

Also, can you have the two types of deactivation running at the same time - not interacting, both claiming an object, but side by side?

Yes you will be able to have both times just not on the same object. Since GM deactivation makes GSI think the object doesn't exist when it should it will create duplicates. So as long as you keep them each on separate objects it works fine. Time Twisted uses both as well.

You will need the DLL with the exe but its small, plus don't your games seem more professional when they contain multiple files? LoL I always thought so.

Send me a pm with the gmk and any other DLLs needed to run the game whenever you're ready. It should only take me twenty minutes or so.

1sonicgenesismockup2.png

This is a mockup, showing a new enemy and my new zone stuff. The backrgound was custom, but the tiles were edited off my grassy zone tiles, which in turn were based off GHZ tiles. But yeah, mainly my own work.

Also, yay PNGU-D2! The awesome name was contributed by my friend, who hasn't played Sonic for a while.

• Like 1

That looks good, I would suggest is turning those branch things on your tree upside down. I've often thought about turning those branch looking things into a tree myself though not a snowy one. It looks great either way. Also right now there's too much blue me thinks you need to have a couple colors at least. Try green for that second color maybe make the tree green with just some snow on it. You could also add some Christmas decorations if you wanted.

It's actually an Emperor Penguin. ???

Uh my bad. His outfit just reminded me of samurais.

You could also add some Christmas decorations if you wanted.
That's a good idea. You could also make them appear only during Xmas holidays.

I like the penguin! Oh, and the rest of the screenshot looks good too.

Overbound has a point about colours, the zone might look nicer with a little bit of other colour as well as all the blue and white, also, those stars look rather... organised. But it's all good, kinda makes me want to do another Sonic game.

Hmn, it's just that I can't make large, non 32x32 tiles without screwing up somewhere in tiling. I'll try for later levels... =/
It's better to start experimenting now. The same level appearances get boring real easily.
Sonic 2 did it with EHZ and THZ, why can't he?
Just because Sonic 2 did it doesn't mean it was good.

Hill Top seemed like one of the least interesting zones to me. : |

• 4 weeks later...