A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Genesis

toaster1

Like I said on Retro, I played it, and highly enjoyed it and I've had quite a great time playing it. Very beautiful game, too. However I'm now noticing some flaws you might wanna take into consideration:

1) Rolling isn't exactly making Sonic go as fast as expected. Like for example, you know the big halfpipe type area with the bee badnik in the center? It's near impossible to get up that using Sonic's rolling physics alone, and it's almost like it's only there for you to Spin dash up. Something's got to be done to where the rolling physics are more forceful and make you faster even on the slightest slopes, because that's just how it's always worked in the MD/Genesis Sonic titles. Spin dash alone isn't what made the classic games different from the modern titles.

2) I love the challenge behind the crab robot, but I have to say to improve the game some only really put it in areas where it wouldn't break the flow of speed so much. Also considering this is a first level, please lower the badnik rate a wee bit, as it seems a little much at the moment.

3) Third thing is a basic suggestion. How about for the quickstep, instead of pressing up twice really quickly you make it where you press the opposite direction you are moving twice really quickly? It'd honestly feel alot more comfortable. Also a cool animation for when Sonic does the quickstep would be nice.

Overall I like this game. Alot. I hope you can get these improvements in however. :)

I like the presentation, but I hate the crab badnik. Really, it's not fair at all. It's annoying, the way you're using it. While I was typing this I realized Azukara said it better than me, so listen to him.

Just tried it out myself. Hate to be a bit harsh, but the game just seemed annoying to me..

1. I don't know about anyone else but the stripe design on the ground really bothered my eyes... and looks really ugly IMO.

2. I like the Crab badnik but I think there was waaaay too many and I consider it really annoying not only for constantly bumping into one every few seconds, but for being the only real challenge in the whole demo.

3. Didn't like the level layouts so much..found them to be really short and bland with a lot of slopes. I suggest more gimmicks and more alternate paths.

4. The boss was incredibly easy & repetitive plus took too many jumps to kill. Although, almost all 1st bosses in sonic games are like this so I suppose you'll slide. However I would suggest adding another attack pattern for it.

The game does has potential, don't get me wrong but it needs a lot of work.

Im just going to go out and say i DONT like the crab badnick. It's possibly the most annoying enemy in any sonic fangame i've ever played. Its like you put random springs facing the opposite direction all over the map.

You should find another use for them, or make another alteration to them, or set most of their initial directions to something other than left.

Thanks everybody!

I am not going to touch the level design itself much (if at all) because the majority enjoy it, and no major graphic changes because the majority are fine with it. Sorry to those who do not like the striped walls. But there will be fixes for the rolling in the U shaped valley at the end of Act 2. The boss will be given another attack as well.

And the Shellbeater. It will be toned down in difficulty; it will randomly face a different direction when created, so it will be less likely to bump off. There will be less of them as well, and that annoying Skybuzzer on top of a spring will be removed.

That is the feedback I have recieved so far! Thanks for the compliments, those who made them. RGX, later levels shall have more exploratory, less 'hold right to win' level layouts. I hope to show a new zone mockup quite soon. =)

4. The boss was incredibly easy & repetitive plus took too many jumps to kill. Although, almost all 1st bosses in sonic games are like this so I suppose you'll slide. However I would suggest adding another attack pattern for it.

This could easily be fixed by making Robotnik move higher up when he is on either side to shoot. This would make it so you could only hit Robotnik when he moves from side to side. I guess I already suggested this though.

Man i really wish my laptop would play certain GM games faster. It plays at like 10 fps on my win7 64-bit.(which is strange because some GM games play just fine) I have 2.10 ghz & 4 gigs of ram so I don't think those are the problem. I thought it was because GM just couldn't perform well on Win7, so I ran the game on my virtualized windows xp from win7 host, but I only get a black screen. I use the default crappy mobile intel 4 series express gfx card, however I can play games like TF2/L4D fine and I highly doubt this game is somehow using more resources than those.

Tried searching for similar problems but didn't get anything. If it was working, I'd do a video recording, but alas it is not.

I just tried your demo, and overall I enjoyed it. The only thing that really bothered me was you added too many badniks, and they all seemed to be clustered together. I also have trouble with enemy placement, especially since the sonic worlds camera seems to not let you see an enemy until it's to late.

I really liked Robotnik's animation and the way it played, but you need to take down the number of hits to kill him.

Keep up the good work.

Does it play Time Twisted ok? Game Maker does take up crazy amounts of memory.

It plays much faster than his, but compared to your Sage 09 video, it looks like I'm running it at maybe a constant 40 fps. Actually, I was able to record everything on my screen at full speed and only the GM game was slow. Seems i'll just have to use my other computer which is default 32-bit WinXp with a better GFX's card. (wanted to avoid installing the recording program on it)

I made a quick video to show you the comparisons. You'll notice in time twisted everything is working fast until I get to the level. (I don't remember, but wasn't there some discussion before about GridSpatialIndexing.dll being cpu consuming or something?)

I dont think there's anything to worry about. it seems im the only one having this problem.

Yeah that sucker is slow wow. Its not GSI or at least GSI generally has helped the FPS in all my testing its what keeps STT from being ridiculously slow. In fact I would wager its helping you out too if Genesis runs slower than STT. This is simply due to the fact that more objects are deactivated using GSI in STT than objects in Genesis. Its really odd though dude I don't know what to tell you. If its bothering you you could search google specific to game maker, your systems and slow downs. I just don't know.

And even before SAGE has begun, I'm already working on stuff for the next beta. =P

Feast your eyes on this un-named Lava zone, evocative of Lava Reef act 2.

1sonicgenesismockup3.png

Currently thinking about names for this zone. Graphics not entirely final; but don't expect a total do-over.

I'm part of this project, too... so I might as well start doing the work I said I was going to do! I've been kinda holding off on making any REAL BGM for Jade Hilltop because at the time during SAGE submission, I lacked inspiration. Well, I FINALLY got something and I thus (re?)started on Jade Hilltop. I've taken a lot of inspiration from the Splash Hill Zone track in some parts. So here it is, Toaster1 and all viewers of this thread!

Jade Hilltop WIP I

Do note that this is a work in progress, first one to be specific.

Hey again, got WIP II uploaded. I was getting ready to upload it when I noticed your PM there, Toaster1, haha. I changed the lead synth, and I tried to change the notes in its part so it wouldn't seem AS repetitive, and I added some higher notes to the last part. As for your request for a little Green Grove-esque part, I'll definitely see what I can do.

Awesome job so far with the tunage. =D If I were to make a suggestion, I'd recommend adding another instrument to back up the synth and add another layer of depth to the song. As it stands, though, it sounds like quite a catchy 16-bit style piece.

And even before SAGE has begun, I'm already working on stuff for the next beta. =P

Feast your eyes on this un-named Lava zone, evocative of Lava Reef act 2.

[qimg]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TTOT/SonicGenesis/1sonicgenesismockup3.png[/qimg]

Currently thinking about names for this zone. Graphics not entirely final; but don't expect a total do-over.

Fuuuu- I love it. <3

It's a pretty zone indeed. Can't wait to see it in action. Actually looks more original than the typical "Marble Zone 2.0"

Hey Strife! =D

Aren't you from the CQ fora? I'm Zorchdude there, although I almost never visit now that I've lost a lot of work I made on World Trek. D=

Also yeah that is awesome. =D

=O

OMG, the Internet just got smaller. xD

Yeah, I'm from CQFF. ^_^ Sorry to hear about losing most of your work. D: As for me, I just sortof drifted away from the forum as time went on. Though I do try and pop in every now and then to say Hi.

Good luck with this project. =D