A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Genesis

toaster1

Yay! Progress!

1sonicgenesis8.png

Overbound I sent you a PM containing what I've done of the game so far. It's basically for testing and sharing code because I trust you most and I have only finished one act (well, maybe 2/3 of one act) so it can't be put out as a beta.

OH YES SEMIFINAL BOSS CONCEPT ART.

:aparty:

Well half of a boss anyways.

:tbored:

And it's not the attackable half.

:smidge:

Oh well. Here we go, it's the one, the only...

1sonicgenesismechaconcept.png

Metal Sonic and his many variants are the best Sonic characters because their designs haven't changed much from the Genesis days. =P

• 1 month later...

Sorry for dropping into radio silence. I hope I'll be able to release a beta soon, but I fear that the challenge that is coding a boss has only just begun...

1sonicgenesis9.png

I coded Sonic's death and spikes, yay! I haven't coded level restarting, however, and GSI is making it incredibly hard for me. =P

And there he is running round some nicely crafted level design. Yay level design.

Hey, did I JUST REDESIGN THE NORMAL SHEILD? It's green? It looks exactly like Rael's? NAWWWW. It can't be. It must probably just be a coincidence. Or a case of 'not so great minds think alike'ism.

Oh look, it's Dr. Robotnik! He looks like he did in Sonic 2's Metropolis boss fight (the bubble clone, actually!) but with a whole new set of coded faces. I can't show them to you because I couldn't printscreen them while he was flashing white and he ran out of health. But that's okay because Sonic 2 Metropolis bubble Robotnik was cool in his own right.

So comment away! =)

Basically, when Sonic dies, he checks a variable that stops him from losing lives forever. He then loses a life, it holds for a second, and then uses room_restart(). I understand what GSI could have caused, so I make it so it clears '_Grid' in objGameController using the appropriate Script at the same time. However, it's only evident how the room restarts by the slow ticking down of his lives - something that would have never happened if it hadn't restarted the room. The time also doesn't stop going up. Should I PM you the file? =)

I don't know when SAGE is, and I'm too young to go travelling to any conventions. Is it internet based or something?
Is on internet, relax.

When the SAGE starts, probably Slingerland or someone else will create a topic "SAGE 2010 subscriptions"

There you'll find solution for your questions, like how to participate, when will be, how to enlarge your penis 3 inches in 3 weeks, etcetera.

SAGE means, Sonic Amateur Games Expo and will be on the site: http://www.sagexpo.org

But SAGE isn't just an expo between us on SFGHQ, is a big expo with people of all the world and all Sonic forums showing their projects. Some are pathetics, others pretty amazing.

Anyway, it may be arround agoust or july...

Have I got the chance to say this game looks fantastic? I haven't? Well, it certainly has a very pleasing look to it, and the only two things I have to say that aren't quite right is rehashing the GHZ palmtree and the lives icon looks a little smudged. Besides that, this is a very clean and beautiful game you got here, Toaster!

• 2 weeks later...
[qimg]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/TTOT/SonicGenesis/1sonicgenesis6.png[/qimg]

There's a bit of mis-alignment here in this loop-de-loop, but I actually can't think of a fix. Sorry.

Make a separate collision mask for the loop that doesn't include the indented part. Color the mask solid black as to use minimal memory and set it as the mask in the loop's object properties. Of course, I'm assuming you're using Game Maker here.
room_restart()
looks like game maker to me lol

He is using Game Maker. He's using Dash so there is a mask and I think that it should include the indented part. But he's actually talking about the graphics bing miss aligned so I believe you miss understood him.
Ah, I thought he wanted to make Sonic run through the loop Sonic-4-style. I don't really see how the graphics themselves are misaligned @.@