A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Genesis

toaster1

like the music, but halfway through i thought it was a remix of the first stage of Sonic Advance 2.

Edit (5/4/11): I thought of Leaf Forest Zone piece so much when making this piece, haha. I suppose it was part of the inspiration for the act 2 track.

• 1 month later...

Toaster, may I suggest you to draw some lava on your background? I mean, just the Hidden Palace stuff looks too dark to have lava in the bottom of the cave, or volcano.

DJ espeed, he didn't answer you yet, but this music is SOOO amazing.

Awesome! It's just a shame that I haven't found the time or inspiration to work on Sonic Genesis at the moment. :[

T'will go in when I have time, though. :D

Also, lava is one of the things I was considering having. I probably should do it at some point, but this engine doesn't support animated backgrounds...(??)

In MMF2 at least, I know how to make an animated background with the Background System Box object. Say, for example, that you want to animate a 320x240 background. Multiply the total height based on how many frames of animation you want (so for 4, that would be a total height of 960), then place each frame of the background together like a film reel. Then, in the Event Editor, add these events:

Always

+ Set position of Background System Box to (X Left Frame / 1.05, Y Top Frame - (Value A "Background System Box" * 240))

Every 1'00

+ Add 1 to Value A "Background System Box"

Value A "Background System Box" >= 4

+ Set Value A "Background System Box" to 0

If there's something in Game Maker that's similar to the Background System Box, you could probably do the same thing. :3

• Like 1

Game Maker has static backgrounds at default, you can only animate them building your own background system, and you can´t really use animated tiles for that, because Game Maker doesn´t support them yet :(

Anyway, it´s doable if you aren´t already using too many resources for the game.

• 2 months later...