A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Genesis

toaster1

I've been working on this for about a week now, but the idea has existed since when the Needlemouse trailer 1 appeared. Everyone, I welcome you to...

1sonicgenesis1.png

Full credit to Rogueyoshi and Damezian for the engine, The Spriter's Resource for the original sprites, and me for modifying, editing, respriting and coding some stuff.

1sonicgenesis2.png

This is a typical GHZ style level. The level is unnamed and would do well with some suggestions, which I will award singular rep points for, regardless of whether or not your suggestion is picked!

1sonicgenesis3.png

This screenshot took ages to make, mainly because I was trying to get the sliding animation. Also, you'll notice a beebot - the Skybuzzer. It has no coding right now, all it does is float and blow up. I haven't even been able to code Sonic's bouncing off when it gets destroyed yet. If somebody who is also using the Sonic Dash engine for Game Maker could help me with that code (the bouncing off code), I would be incredibly greatful and award 2 rep points!

1sonicgenesis4.png

Sonic looks like he's on the ground, but if you look closely you'll see it's his spring frame. There's a hidden spring down there, just off screen.

1sonicgenesis5.png

Rings, speed and slopes, oh my! This area actually took an hour to work on, mainly because the lines weren't matching up at first.

1sonicgenesis6.png

There's a bit of mis-alignment here in this loop-de-loop, but I actually can't think of a fix. Sorry.

No beta for now, so just stay put with these screenshots.

Thanks for reading. I hope you guys like it!

~toaster1

• Like 2

By the look of this, it could turn into something really great. The title screen looks nice, I love the background and the foreground looks good over all, I still think you need to make those changes I suggested in your help forum topic because the darker parts just kind look like they are hanging there and not part of the ground itself.

I'm using the same engine as you to work on Sonic Time Twisted if you need anything or wanna talk and compare notes my aim and msn are in my profile.

Overall +Rep

• Like 1

Oh look, it's that toaster again! That's some funky toast you're spitting out!

I like the look of those screenshots, bright and colourful. Perhaps the level could do with some trees and plants in there for extra detail, as it looks like there's something missing, but I definitely like what I see so far!

I know you're not supposed to play with your food, but if you spit this toast out in playable form, I'll HAVE to make an exception, LOL!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. =)

Okay, now that I've got it all prepped up I can work on those small graphics. I'll need some help, but...

Also, sure! I don't have MSN or AIM so do you mind PMs? Thanks for the rep. Here's some rep back!

Yeah, I will definetly be working on trees, bushes, flowers etc now that I've pushed out these screenshots.

If all goes well I won't need to restart it. This took way too long to start, restarting will be a failure.

EDIT: Wow, that's cool! Thanks, but it's called Sonic Genesis not because of the name of the console also called the Mega Drive, but because of the fact that the 'book of Genesis' is regarded as history by Christians. Not implying anything religious, just saying that the title basicly means 'Sonic History'. =P

~toaster1

Yeah I wondered if that was the case when I was making it but I needed some practice with Illustrator anyway so I won either way.

I don't know if your any good at making logos and stuff I myself didn't used to be but have been getting better if you would like a logo such as the one in my signature (though I didn't make that one) I can create an original one for you. Just be sure to post any specifications you have if any. For that matter if anyone else wants a logo I'll do theirs too just be sure to pm me and not clutter toast's thread.

I think its the lack of foreground objects spike and the smaller than normal shading on the loops. It will probably go away in a more complete version of the level but I do see what you mean.

Toaster do you have any ideas big picture ideas for this game? Is Sonic going to be the only playable character? How many levels you are hoping to have? Is this game going to be strictly Classic Sonic or are you do you have any ideas to set it apart?

Yeah, the lack of detail was noticable. Hopefully these flowers, palm trees, and bushes (All recolored and slightly edited from GHZ) will work.

That is a good name, but makes me think of Olive trees... and I hate Olives. =P

Thanks! I thought that would have been the bare mimimum for a loop myself - I didn't give it the outside shape. =/

I'm working on enemies now. It will be tricky, getting them to go up and down slopes, but I hope it works. =)

I like this a lot! I like that you gave a try at mixing/matching stuff to make a background yourself. A few suggestions for improvement though! The first being that it's weird that the hills in the background are in the reflection, but the trees below them are not. I mucked aorund with some ink effects too... didn't turn out how I wanted it to at all, but maybe it'll give you an idea or something:

reflectionthing.png

Also, it's cool to make a semi-transparent shadow object and tile it over itself several times to make a faded shadow effect:

fadeshadow.png

Are you using MMF2? I could show you how I did it.

And lastly, the little indents in the ground don't have perspective. It's all just a dark color! Take a look at Green Hill's indents:

010.png

Notice how it's darkest at the top left corner, lightest at the bottom left corner, and a little darker in the center. This is because th elight source is coming from the top left, so it's striking the bottom and right sides of the indent directly, and the top and left sides receive the least amount of light.

If you want me to help you out a little, send me some of your tiles and I'll get you started!

Oh and I wanted to ask... did you save any of your tiles as jpg files? Some parts of them seem fuzzy and it looks weird. Why is that?

Besides what I mentioned above, I really like the way this is looking! It's great to have a new member with a promising new project. Hope you stick around!'

edit: oh, I wanted to ask you if you're working with a 32x32 system with your background, because if you aren't, you should be... it should prevent any alignment issues such as the one in your loop. If you need help with aligning tiles, you should send me what you've got and maybe I can help you out.

oh and...

I love the fact that you're tidying up the loop and giving it a real shape; a lot of people tend to just cut a circle and call it a day. Keep up the good work. :D

:( guilty...

He's using GameMaker Rael but the shadow can easily be done in photoshop, that's how I do it anyway. I warned him about the 32x32, 16x16, and 128x128 he doesn't seem to be listening XD. But you really need to do that Toaster especially since your using GameMaker and everything in the room editor deals with grids.

USE THE 32X32 SYSTEM OR I'LL BEAT THE NONCONFORMICISM OUT OF YOU! :#$%!:

no, seriously, you have to. I've tried not using a set system and it's literally impossible to get the tiles to match up right.

anyway I only asked if he was using MMF2 so I could just give him my example so he could see it for himself... it's really not hard, I just made the grass object into a solid brown color with the same shape, set it to a certain transparency level, and stacked it over itself several times (each time a couple pixels lower than the last) and it made the faded effect. not necessary, but it can look nice!

Uh... I really did not notice that with the background, silly me =P

I am sort of guilty. Everything's a 4x4 (which is a quarter of 16x16, right?) system at the moment, and the only problem I've had is the loop. Everything else has been fine.

The indents were just filler, to make the level seem intresting while I worked on flowers and stuff. I'll be making them better as I go along. =P

No, I will not be using MMF2 as I paid good money for Game Maker and it's an awesome system with cool engines, tutorials and an easily understandable code system.

The shadow can be easily done in Photoshop - which I don't have. I am a MSpaint master and a MSpaint master I shall stay =P

Also, the platform's minor artifacts are NOT because of JPEG - they are because of these being taken in fullscreen and shrunk to one quarter of their size.

4x4 is too small! You're going to have to stick to 32x32 as your minimum. 4x4 allows you to build it up into combinations other than 32x32 and they won't tile right at all. You'll probably ultimately want to end up with 64x64 and 128x128 too. Again, if you give me the tiles, I'll get you started with things.

And MSpaint is great, I use it too! I just occasionally use paint shop pro for ink effects and MMF2's graphics editor for shadows.

Rael, I'm sorry I was considering snapping at you for a moment, but you're hammering these ideas into my head. I UNDERSTAND that 4x4 can end up in problems, but it's working for me, I've made at least half an act, and I don't want to start over with tiling.

I'll do 16x16 with the other zones, but I seriously cannot edit these tiles (except the detailing, which will be less like an unshaded floating object and more like an indent) without major repercussions. I am sorry, and thank you for your offered help, but nothing in the screenshots - excluding the loop - is evident of bad tiling design.

4x4 is too small! You're going to have to stick to 32x32 as your minimum. 4x4 allows you to build it up into combinations other than 32x32 and they won't tile right at all. You'll probably ultimately want to end up with 64x64 and 128x128 too. Again, if you give me the tiles, I'll get you started with things.

And MSpaint is great, I use it too! I just occasionally use paint shop pro for ink effects and MMF2's graphics editor for shadows.

Sonic Pocket Adventure was made with 4x4 tiles, I heard

:awink:

I'm such a tease

On a serious note I don't care how a level is made as long as the final result looks and plays good. :V