A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic Genesis

toaster1

Doesn't working with 4x4 tiles make you want to pull your hair out though? I use a 32x32 system to make 128x128 tiles (which Sonic 3 used... Sonic 1 and CD used 256x256 tiles) so I don't want to kill myself by dragging over so many little tiles and placing them properly.

By detailing, that's what I mean by the dark bumps. =P

EDIT: Another reason to continue as currently going! =P

Don't get upset we're all just trying to help. You'll learn that we are overly critical in this forum it doesn't mean we don't like your stuff it just means we're going to critique your stuff until its as elite as this:

arcticapextest6.png

and we can do nothing but drool.

<3 thank you overbound

I'm just trying to help, I don't mean to come across too strongly but when I see someone doing something that I know is counter-productive I can't help but point it out. I had to learn certain things the hard way when I started out background design and I try to prevent other people from some of the mistakes that I've made. I've already told you I'd do some of it for you to help, but if you don't want me to that's fine. I hope you take my advice for future background sets you make - it's a lot easier to design levels with larger tiles than with small 4x4 pieces.

edit: And I want to QFT (quote for truth) Overbound's comment about how critical this forum is. Like he said, it doesn't mean we dislike it - on the contrary, I love the way your game is looking and I don't mean to discourage you - we just offer as much criticism to each other as we can so we can make our games the best they can be.

Good god 1x1 is way worse than 4x4. Especially in Game Make because in GM you click where you want the object placed rather than drag the object and setting it. In game maker you don't actually see the object until its place.

try holding down the mouse key while placing the object, I've never had this problem. also Ctrl + left = dragging existing instances.

Stop messing with them, Spike. =P

Also, I'm not using 4x4 tiles. I'm using tiles that are multiples of 4x4. Sorry I didn't make it clearer, just saying =P

Anyways, I am really annoyed. I go into the Sonic Worlds trailer topic, and I suddenly realise one of the enemies looks EXACTLY the same.

gog

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

This is really annoying. Does this make my enemy an unintended ripoff, a victim of circumstance or just the same enemy? =/

Oooh, no. I'm very aware that my Skybuzzer isn't very original, and it doesn't have that helicopter rotor.

It's actually a half red, half blue Crabmeat called the Crabnet. That's what I was so annoyed about. For a moment there I thought it was widespread. Thank gog for that! =P

Also, I'm not using 4x4 tiles. I'm using tiles that are multiples of 4x4. Sorry I didn't make it clearer, just saying =P

OH.

Jesus Christ, I thought you were literally building the level out of 4x4 tiles. Spike and I were talking on AIM about how you must be some kind of masochist or something. Carry on!

Well, progress, guys.

I've coded a bumper, despite not actually needing one for any of the upcoming zones (You never know...), made some more level detailing (I'll get around to making the indents better, I swear! As soon as somebody helps me with them so I can tweak them a bit) and a Boss collision system. Oh, and my personal logo, which will be revealed with the first beta.

This isn't actually as much as I made it sound. School is busy. =(

However, I've thought of some more enemy ideas. Not saying them here because although I know you guys are cool and not enemy stealers, there may be people reading this website right now, waiting for ideas. o.o

Also, I haven't made sprites for them.

Also, Pescrobat, the new 'leaping fish' enemy (No coding yet, but it's a blue and green S2 Snapper). My limited Spanish knowledge is put to use. Nobody would want to steal that. It's not very original. =P

EDIT: I also need help to find a level start screen (What is it called? =/ )

Well, seeing as I now have a Title Card, I'm working a bit more on level design, detailing, Badniks and Bosses.

Here are the first three.

1sonicgenesis7.png

I'm getting really proud of this project. I hope I finish it! =D

Also, Debug is on because when I first started working on Badniks that actually moved it got really laggy. I managed to fix it, but forgot to turn it off.

(Note: By 'I hope I finish it', I mean that I hope my normal bout of bad luck, broken computers and lost memory sticks doesn't happen again. =P )

You fixed the issue I had with the floor yes!!!

Couple of things:

The blue and green the chomper aren't quite contrasted enough you might try making the green greener.

I'd tend to stay away from using foliage right out of GHZ it will make your levels seem more original if you find other sources of it. There are tons of places to go Sonic CD and Chaotix of tones of foliage.

I'll PM you later I have to go to work. We also need to talk about GSI if your serious about making a quality fan game its a must.

Thanks! =)

The Blue and green were intentionally made very similar colors, as to give the effect of a waterdwelling robot all washed out.

The biggest problem with CD foilage is that it doesn't really fit the area. However, I will try to add some more variety. I can't find any Knuckles Chaotix level sprites for some reason, huh.

GSI? What the-? You want to talk to me about the UK Government's secure intranet, or the Geographical Society of Ireland? I'm confused. =/

There are tons of Background tiles here:

http://www.themysticalforestzone.com/Sprite_Archives/Sonic_Backgrounds.htm

Also keep in mind that sometimes all things need its to be recolored and reshaped a bit. I made these to match your level reasonably well without much effort at all.

toastplants.png

GSI is a system made by Dami that allows you to take objects that don't move and delete them when they off screen so to increase speed of your game. You will find that as your levels get bigger and full of more objects that they slow down your game on even some reasonably powered machines. I've included the latest version of GSI along with a example on how to use it below. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Please, please use this Toaster if you plan on making a Game Maker game with levels on the same size and scale as Time Twisted it does have bit of a learning curve as it can effect the way game maker works sometimes. But you must use it you have no idea how slow Time Twisted would be without it probably something like 20 FPS on an average machine. At very least you should set up all your terrain to use it keeping in mind that you will have to work around the moving platforms as they are child objects of terrain.

Once again I'll get back to you on the PM I worked a night shift and am extremely tired right now so I'm going to bed.

GridSpatialIndexing_015Update.rar