A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Fate of the Master Emerald

Blue Emerald

i've been following this thread for a while, and it's the main reason why i joined this site! this looks like an awesome game...have all the sub-titles been thought up? i think that's a brilliant idea :tgrin:

please don't judge me- this is my 1st post on this site, too...

Bumped... Here... to refrain you from bumping...

Look at the date of the post. If it's older than 2 weeks, DONT POST.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"I'm back, nerds!"

College has been a lot of work for me for the past five weeks, but it's also been a lot of fun. However, I still managed to find some time now and then to work on this game. So, here's what's been going down so far.

As some of you should already know, I've had major issues in the tile department. This has been the big drag-down in Sonic 4's development. However, just recently, I got myself a lucky break! DNXDelta, spriter and level designer of Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Retro Remix, has given me permission to use the foreground tiles from the January 31st build of Retro Remix' Cascade Valley Zone. If you've played the game before, you know the tiles look fantastic, which is why I'm so happy to be trying them out in Sonic 4. I have been doing some minor edits to the tiles, however, for the sake of getting them to work in a 128x128 grid. It's noticeably sped up production. So, special thanks to DNXDelta for his generosity.

The forest level is going to look great, overall. I'll post a mock-up sometime when I get enough of the tiles together.

I haven't put any of the sprites in the game yet. Also, there's still a lot of programming I've left to do, like the new "flowercopter" gimmick and the swinging platform that breaks at the end (like from Aquatic Ruin). I also want to program the Buzz Bomber so it rises up and flies around when Sonic gets near, and I'm going to make a more custom act title card where the act number flips onto the screen.

Mock-up's coming soon. I'm just about done with it.

[EDIT] Here we go.

s4previewretro-1.png

You ditched the brown wood tiles?

Yep. I kept struggling with the logs. They hadn't turned out so great, in my opinion. I kept trying to make the logs look better, but no avail. That's when I decided I had to try another kind of tile while still making the level look like a forest level, and a good-looking one at that.

I guess I just don't see the forest anymore (I suppose it's cuz there isn't a large amount of trees in the pic tho)...I noticed the parallax looked very nice and it seems to match with the foreground well. with out the logs being somewhat jumbled and distracting...I like it.

Jungle anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

[uPDATE] I Had Some Fun with Audacity Today

What do you know! A new song finally made its way into this thread! Today, I decided to take an existing song from a Sega game and create a new track for the Power Sneakers using Audacity. I personally think this little mix is awesome. Tell me what you think about it.

Also, DO NOT STEAL THIS TRACK! It is intended for use in my Sonic 4 game only! I don't want to find out that someone took this song and is using it in one of their games.

With that out of the way, enjoy! :)

powersneakers.wav

• 4 months later...