A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Fate of the Master Emerald

Blue Emerald

Just to clarify, Zenor wasn't saying the grass is repetitive, Blue Emerald. He was saying the foreground - as in, the logs - are repetitive. Anyway, glad to hear you're taking my suggestions into consideration. It's coming along nicely. By the way, your grass sprites are absolutely fantastic. I think I said that in my last post, though.

Regarding SAGE, getting a booth set up should be the least of your worries. It only takes a few minutes to make a freewebs site and slap some screenshots and a link to your demo on it. That shouldn't be a problem. I would definitely recommend participating in SAGE, it's a whole lot of fun. If you do, I'll definitely review this game when I SAGEcast.

Zenor: Concerning the grass, I was aiming for a Sonic CD style when I made that, so 1) the grass is meant to be as repetitive as it is

Just to clarify, Zenor wasn't saying the grass is repetitive, Blue Emerald. He was saying the foreground - as in, the logs - are repetitive.

Yeah.

As for the monitor, it's meant to be a forest-themed version of the classic monitor, so it has a grassy log for the base and a vine-framed monitor.

I know that, and that's not what's bothering me about it. I think it's because the log (Its base) is weird in my eyes.

Antron's face looks fine to me, but do you mean that his left eye should be farther away so his face is looking more forward?

It's because the angle of his eyes are different from the angle that the rest of his body is.

Today I decided to give my diligent thread-checkers a heads-up on the current progress of the game. I just finished with the sketched layout for Act 1 of SFZ. Personally, I don't find it looking as complex as other green-zone stages, but then again, I didn't add any trees or other details to the rough sketch, so my opinion should change when I put the sketch to screen. Hopefully, you'll all enjoy this level -- it's a real challenge to design a good stage.

Also, I'm pretty much finished with editing the sound effects; the only thing I've left to do is edit the spindash sound effect so it doesn't play over itself. I'm currently editing the results screen so it looks different than the one already in Worlds, and I've been trying to figure out how to set the camera limit so that at certain points Sonic can only go as far as the camera limits will let him. You know how, in the Genesis games, when Sonic would get close to the goal, the game wouldn't let you backtrack? That's what I'm trying to do.

Also, thank you for the Antron edit, Zenor. :) I'll be sure to use this in the game.

[uPDATE] Results screen is complete. Still working on the camera limits for the end of the act.

I've been trying to figure out how to set the camera limit so that at certain points Sonic can only go as far as the camera limits will let him. You know how, in the Genesis games, when Sonic would get close to the goal, the game wouldn't let you backtrack? That's what I'm trying to do.

For the end of the level I would just figure out how wide your camera is, then, at that distance away from the end of the level you make two solid, invisible blocks that apear when sonic reaches a certain point right before the goal.

If your trying to do somthing along the lines of bridge zone....with game maker there is a string of GML that label view_xview and view_yview that you can tool around with....but I have no idea how to do it (if it's even possible) in "worlds."

Wait just thought of somthing (albiet somewhat choppy) as the screen moves to the right two invisible solid blocks move at the edges of the view at the same speed as the scrolling motion, (this of course, makes it hard to accelerate the speed of the view, however)

No need to worry, FanGameRevolver. Appo and I worked on this yesterday and it's working great; no blocks necessary. :) Now, my next plan of attack is the spindash sound effects.

[uPDATE] Pause screen now stops all sounds, SFZ Badnik designs have been renovated, ring animations changed and completed

New screenshot to show what I've been up to today.

sonic4springs.png

Springs are being given extra animations and are being redesigned from their original Worlds sprites. I also wanted to show off a little bit of Sonic's spring animation; I personally think it looks awesome. Other changes to the engine include:

- Rings and monitors no longer give you points

- Changes to the results screen: includes time bonus, ring bonus, and total score; points are added to the total score and your current score

- Changes to music and sound effects

- non-MIDI background music that loops successfully

Yikes, that sky is no good for two reasons: 1) Clouds should NEVER have a single color that is darker than the sky behind them and 2) It's waaay too light in the bottom. It really clashes with the grassy mountains. Go for a more vibrant color. It's a really harsh gradient.

It's looking good besides that!

Well, here's what I managed to get done today:

-Sky is fixed, so it's much bluer now; as for water, there's none yet, but I'm considering it

-If Sonic runs fast enough, he'll enter peel-out mode, much like in Sonic CD

-Speaking of Sonic CD, the peel-out charge now behaves like it did in that game

-Landing animation was added, but currently can't be used

Stuff I'm trying to work on:

-While revving the spindash, I want the sound to stop playing over itself, but with no gaps in the sound. (5/2/09 COMPLETE!)

-When charging the peel-out, I want Sonic to start out walking instead of running (5/2/09 COMPLETE!)

-When Sonic hits an upward spring and peforms the spring animation, I want Sonic to perform the landing animation when falling down. (5/3/09 COMPLETE!)

Green hills in the background look too bright to me. The rest is OK.

P.S. Your foreground tiles look cool. When I first time seen them they looked simple and weird but when you added some grass patches they look great.

That's pretty delicious.

You still haven't fixed the little pieces of grass in the ground, by the way. :awink:

I have them edited on an image file, but I just haven't gotten around to putting the new tiles into the level.

I have, however, finally fixed the spin dash sound effect so it doesn't play over itself. Now, all I have left to do so far is getting the landing animation to work after the spring animation.

Well, I guess we'd better change these trees, then. How's this look?

[qimg]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k151/cloudstrife2006/bluersky-1.png[/qimg]

UPDATE: Peel-out charge now starts off with walking, and the charge shorts out if Sonic isn't running in full peel-out mode.

Make the transition between sky-clouds smoother. Saying this now may sound pretty weird as you've been told to make them brighter. Just darken them a bit but making sure they won't be darker than the sky.

Eh.. I think I care too much about little details.

Also I like the change you did on the trees. They fit much better with the sky now.

Hey, you guys! Guess what I finally got working!

landinganim.png

Took me a while to figure out what I needed to do, but it makes me so happy to know that the landing animation finally works!

[uPDATE] Added a goal pointer sign to the game, like the ones in Sonic CD

[uPDATE] Implemented the victory pose -- when the signpost is done spinning, Sonic performs a victory pose once he's done moving, and then the results screen will appear.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahaaa~ Very nice. Veery niiice. Everything looks nice so far. Even the invincibility looks authentic, but I bet it would be nicer, if we could see it all in motion. That's just me though, but I like the screenies of what you got so far.

landinganim.png

I know this is just opinion, but I absolutely hate that sprite. It's abused constantly in fangames, and it always looks so out of place. Why not just not have a falling animation, like in the originals, or at least use one where he isn't rotated towards the screen and glaring at the player?

Pedro, I'm not really seeing the problem...

He means that the leaves end abruptly, and some are cut in half. I see it too.