A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Fate of the Master Emerald

Blue Emerald

You can actually put it a gradient through a program (like paint shop pro or I believe photoshop) to dither it for you... just so you know. Euan introduced me to the idea, it's how he does his skies for Sonic XG too.

You can dither it by hand if you want, but it's just more work.

You can actually put it a gradient through a program (like paint shop pro or I believe photoshop) to dither it for you... just so you know. Euan introduced me to the idea, it's how he does his skies for Sonic XG too.

Do you mean the 'Define Pattern' method, or an alternate method?

LCZ-2.png

GIMP works! This is definitely what I was looking for. Thanks, dnlhern. :) +Rep

Believe it or not, but the sky was made with both GIMP and Paint.NET. I used Paint.NET to make the gradient since it allowed me to easily control the range of the gradients, and used GIMP to create the dither. Having three paint programs (four if you count the basic Paint) is really quite helpful. And since this worked so well, I'm going to do the same thing with Summer Forest's and Techno City's skies.

Actually, dithering in Paint.NET is cake. A quick way: Just save the image as a GIF, then adjust the dither slidebar how you like it. Close the image, reopen, voila.

Or even better, get a dithering plugin at the forum, along with the Boltbait & Pyrochild packs.

EDIT: The "EdHarvey" pack comes with a series of dither plugins, try these out and see what you can get.

Neat level art, it somewhat remembers me of Quack Shot... Ah, a pretty fun game.

Actually, dithering in Paint.NET is cake. A quick way: Just save the image as a GIF, then adjust the dither slidebar how you like it. Close the image, reopen, voila.

Or even better, get a dithering plugin at the forum, along with the Boltbait & Pyrochild packs.

EDIT: The "EdHarvey" pack comes with a series of dither plugins, try these out and see what you can get.

Neat level art, it somewhat remembers me of Quack Shot... Ah, a pretty fun game.

When I saved it as a .GIF and altered the dithering on it, nothing changed, so for now I think I'll stick with GIMP for dithering.

I might actually try the plug-in, but I've read that it slows things down.

Strange. I just tried and it worked.

I might actually try the plug-in, but I've read that it slows things down.

Well, I have 103 plugins, and I don't see any difference. Unless you call the plugin function through the menu, they don't do anything at all...

I used the plug-in just now and it works, and it has a lot of dithering options, but I don't like the way it handles the effect; the dithering makes it look too layered in comparison to GIMP, and I really like what GIMP has produced for me. So, from here on, I'll be sticking with using Paint.NET for gradients and GIMP for dithering, but thank you for helping out, gsoft. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, it's time for another sprite update!

This time, I'm concerning myself with Sonic's look. In the past, I've been using the Sonic 3 sprite with a palette swap to match the Japanese Sonic CD artwork. Of course, you may have heard the occasional groan about how the S3 sprite's eyes are too small and it looks too plastic. This, however, is not the reason I've decided to alter Sonic.

You see, I personally feel that, in order to stand out in the crowd of Sonic fan games, I should make a Sonic that looks a bit more original -- one that I can call my own. If you look at games like Retro Sonic XG, Emerald Ties, Time Twisted, and The Fated Hour, they all have their own style of Sonic. Of course, there's a lot of hype around these games (also helps that they have something playable, but if you read the main Worlds thread, you can see that I'm still working on stuff for it), and I feel that if I want to join that crowd, I should make a different Sonic that makes my game stand out with them.

In that case, I made a Sonic with a little of Sonic 3 and a lot of Sonic 1/2/CD. However, the Sonic 3 also has its merits, as I always felt it had more expression to it when compared to its predecessors. In this case, I'm leaving this up to my faithful readers to decide. I'd like to construct a poll as of now, and you can decide which Sonic you think is best for the game. After 15 votes, the winning Sonic will be used in my game.

Here's the old Sonic:

sonic3old.png

And here's the new one: [Edited as of 3-7-09, 2:00 PM CST]

sonicCD3new2-1.png

Which one do you all like better?