A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Fate of the Master Emerald

Blue Emerald

Cstyler: You have a sprite sheet of this? O_O

Cuda Ahbuda: How right you are. Here's what our combined work looks like:

sonic4_sonicnew-1.png

I used Cstyler's whites and flesh tones. They do add a bit more balance and don't make Sonic look so bright. I kept my blues, because I always liked the blues the artists used in Sonic's Japanese artwork.

Hey, Cstyler, could you make a sprite sheet with this palette? By the way, I'm definitely adding you to my credits.

Thanks for the link, dnlhern. I never knew HyperCam was a free program. I've seen HyperCam used all over YouTube, but the big issue with it is that it always has less-than-stellar quality, with slow framerate and skipping. Is there any way to optimize HyperCam to avoid those problems, or is that something I might have to deal with unless I buy one of the high-quality screen recorders? To me, this is very important, because I want the video to be as viewable as possible without detracting from either framerate or visibility.

Well, here's my tutorial...

post-2136-138639762977_thumb.jpg

post-2136-138639762979_thumb.jpg

post-2136-138639762981_thumb.jpg

post-2136-138639762985_thumb.jpg

post-2136-138639762986_thumb.jpg

I'm new at this whole attachment thing... I might as well go back to picture hosting...

Cuda Ahbuda: How right you are. Here's what our combined work looks like:

[qimg]http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k151/cloudstrife2006/sonic4_sonicnew-1.png[/qimg] .

Your welcome, thanks for pitchin in my idea.
I used Cstyler's whites and flesh tones. They do add a bit more balance and don't make Sonic look so bright. I kept my blues, because I always liked the blues the artists used in Sonic's Japanese artwork.

Hey, Cstyler, could you make a sprite sheet with this palette? By the way, I'm definitely adding you to my credits.

Am I gonna be in the credits? Lol...just playin, keep up the good work

I like that Summer Hill zone or whatever its called, although I think part of the background looks like something out of Mushroom Hill zone. Still a cool-looking level though.

It is Mushroom Hill; I took the sprites from a screenshot by hand, then rearranged them. I was thinking of maybe using one of the Sonic CD forest sprites for the back parallax, though. It's something for me to think about. Also, lmerrill, I'm still interested in getting some GBs for my site; I think I have enough content to make a decent website right now.

Anyway, here's the main issue I wanted to post about today. Many of you will be happy to know that I just started designing the levels today. However, with this comes one big request that I wish to propose.

I'm not willing to leak the level design to all the viewers of this thread. This being the case, I'm looking for only a few people who think they're up to the job of looking over my levels and critiquing them. These people will also have the responsibility of playing the actual levels once they've been designed in the game. There are many things in this game that I've kept a secret from you guys (to give you an idea, I currently have over 50 pages' worth of written game content), and only the people I choose will be able to see these secret concepts. It's a big job; level design is no walk in the park, so that's why I'm looking for some sharp tacks who want to try their hand at adding/subtracting/moving around any pieces in the levels.

To begin, the design I'll be giving the chosen few is not yet 100% completed (I don't know how much space I'll need), but just an overview of what I have drawn up so far. If you believe you're experienced enough to help peform a little level maintenance, I invite you to give it a go. To those reading this that are currently hard at work on their own projects, I am not asking you to abandon your project for me. However, if you are working on a project, but still want to help a bit, that's fine. Reps will be awarded for any constructive critiques or edits.

And that's all I have to post for today. If you're interested, either post here, or PM me if for any reason you want to keep your role in this "semi-team" a secret. I'll PM you if I choose you for the role.

Hey, Blue Emerald, I think I can help you with level sprites.

Do you wish to use level sprites like on screenshots?

[qimg]http://smages.com/i/5c/67/5c6780ef401e4162d52730f54ef8845f.png[/qimg] [qimg]http://limg.ru/out.php/i5504_2nd.PNG[/qimg] [qimg]http://limg.ru/out.php/i5503_1st.PNG[/qimg]

I can give you project-file with all these things.

Thats realy awesome Cstyler :) , I'd use it if it was offered so I genuinely "!LOVE!" it. Keep it up dude.

Cstyler, those are terrific! :) Those foreground sprites in the top two screens look almost exactly like what I was thinking about creating for Techno City Zone. The tiles in the bottom screenshot would really fit in for Egg Citadel Zone. I would love to use these tiles, Cstyler. Many thanks again!

Also, I'd like to update today by announcing that, as of yesterday morning, I have finally finished the level design for Summer Forest Zone - Act 1. I'm still open to having a few members who'd like to drop in and critique or fix the first level. I believe I have successfully fit all the gimmicks I wanted to use for the act into the design, but if anyone would like to check it out and see if any paths need fixing, you're welcome to help out.

That's all for tonight, so I'll finally be getting me some shuteye now. G'night, all! :)

Pretty cool, Cstyler. I think I may use that for Dark Mountain Zone, just minus the grass, since it's going to be an entirely rocky level, kind of like Mystic Cave from Sonic 2.

I also think it fits in too. (as long as Blue Emerald edits the rocks to be a darkish purple.)

Hi Blue Emerald,

I personally think that if you took some sprites from Sonic CD's Palmtree Panic level (that's the only forest level in the game that I know of), you'd have to take the whole background...otherwise the sprites wouldn't fit really well with the background (and other elements) you're using now for Summer Hill.

If you think you have enough content and would like to start creating a site now, please either send me a private message or an e-mail (at [email protected]) if you want to get started.

Currently waiting on a few things right now, so in the meantime, I finally decided to work on designing Techno City Zone. Behold!

TCZ-1.png

Special thanks to Cstyler for the awesome foreground sprites. This is certainly what I pictured a city with a busy nightlife to look like -- lots of bright colors, lots of flashing lights, and a huge dose of neon! You can probably guess from the picture that your skills with the pinball flippers are going to come in very handy here. What should also be noted is the neon cannon ahead of the flipper; if your aim is true (trust me, this cannon will be farther away in the actual level), you'll be launched speedily through the air, from one cannon to the next! Sound like fun? Well, the fun doesn't stop there, because this zone is focused on getting around fast!

You'll be interested to know that those red buildings in the background are planned to cycle through the entire spectrum, giving the city background the life it needed. What should also be noted is the Badnik with the bumper on its head. Wanna know what it does? All I can say is, good things come to those who wait. I realize I also have that Badnik in Crystal Tundra Zone to talk about, but that will also have to wait. You all have a lot of waiting to do. ;)

I can already tell that this level is going to be really complex, both design-wise and programming-wise. Once this level reaches and completes its programming phase, I've got a feeling this may end up being one of the favorite levels among the players.

Until then, stay tuned for more info. Happy holidays, everyone!

Well, I'm going to be honest, I really don't like its current look much. It's mainly because of those colors. The red towers with those blue buildings, they seem a bit messy together. I know you intend to make Techno City a zone full of lights and neon, but that's a bit much.

In my opinion, though.

Well, I'm going to be honest, I really don't like its current look much. It's mainly because of those colors. The red towers with those blue buildings, they seem a bit messy together. I know you intend to make Techno City a zone full of lights and neon, but that's a bit much.

In my opinion, though.

So do you think I should just stick with one type of building?

I don't know which one I should keep, though. If I ditch the front buildings, I'm afraid it'll look more like a light-up village, but if I get rid of the back buldings, it won't look as bright anymore.

Hmmm.... should I put neon signs in the background?