A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Project

Armada

Thats all fine and good and all, but then why bother making sprites and artwork for it? None of that stuff is necessary anyway. You can just use placeholders instead of messing around with all of this disposable art.

We don't have a public release of ProSonic yet, so it's not like we're pissing away time making shit when we could be handling the engine at the moment. I'd agree with you if we were able to get started, though.

We don't have a public release of ProSonic yet, so it's not like we're pissing away time making shit when we could be handling the engine at the moment. I'd agree with you if we were able to get started, though.

Or you all could be working on character sprites that don't suck ass, more animations for said character sprites that don't suck ass, more general purpose art, more level art, etc.

PS: I mean, come on. He looks like American Kirby.

Alright, I may not be on this board a lot but I've got stuff to say, mostly covering said stuff.

I've seen a lot of negative reactions to this project, but we did get some on Retro too, such as refusing to add Adventure style elements to the people who were getting involved in the project. You've all got your own opinions, the main point of the Sonic 4 Project is to be community-based, people are joining the project forums, some lucky people'll end up becoming part of the team & contributing good stuff to the project. I rarely play fangames, the ones I've got is Sonic XG, Retro Sonic & Sonic Nexus, other than that I have tons of ROM hacks. These fangames that I mentioned have good features, a good concept, that's what Sonic 4's trying to be. We're not trying to say "ha ha we are superior than you ha ha" but have you seen contributions made to the project? It doesn't matter what field it is in ie: art, music, descriptions, people are contributing to it & are showing that Sonic 4 could work.

That's what I'm saying, I suck at typing long posts so cocks.

the Sonic 4 Project is to be community-based, people are joining the project forums, some lucky people'll end up becoming part of the team & contributing good stuff to the project

I'm sorry to sound condescending, but I stopped reading or holding any desire to contribute to this project here. I mean "maybe if you're lucky you can contribute to this community project." In what sense is it a community project if you deny entry (denying content on the grounds of quality control is a different thing)? Never assume that anyone's going to take it as a great honor to work on a vastly-unproven project. Exercise humility. Also, perhaps you should think about what it is that differentiates a community project from a high-number team project and why both have such high rates of dissipation/failure to produce results.

That being said, I wish you luck for whatever it is you wish to accomplish since it's not my business to wish failure on any manner of hobbyists.

We're not trying to say "ha ha we are superior than you ha ha" but have you seen contributions made to the project?

No... we haven't... And that's the problem...

For a community project, it's pretty locked up and hidden...

It should be more public and visible, so that people do see the project, see some of these contributions and current status, get more interested, etc...

You guys may see the super awesome stuff that the project is made of. We see a few pieces of artwork, most of which is temporary...

You guys may see the super awesome stuff that the project is made of. We see a few pieces of artwork, most of which is temporary...

Which, honestly, is something we have seen since this community's inception. Each one of these threads is usually driven by the topic starter, who is under the belief that what they are doing has not been done before. Like so:

but have you seen contributions made to the project?

When you enter under that thought process, the past ten or so posts is what happens every time (plus the added bonus of having the same name as someone else - which we are DONE talking about, btw).

We have seen community project proposals come and go, we have seen "Sonic 4s" come and go, and quite frankly, this attempt is no different than the rest. It's like the yearly appearance of the overambitious new member asking for help on his 3D fangame with ripped Sonic Heroes models. Both appear on a seemingly regular basis.

Now, I know what you're thinking. Why am I pessimistic about this project when I agreed to be of some minute assistance? When you guys asked me at Retro, I agreed to help in the smallest way possible, only because I felt obligated to Phoebius and I am e-buddies with a few of the members on the project's staff. If you actually reach the point where you need me, which is level design, I will throw you some layouts on grid paper as promised. I am there when you need me, which is a long way down the road.

Also, the level art is incredibly bland.

The level art is actually from my hack...so it was drawn with the Genesis limitations in mind. (both palette wise and VDP space wise..)

I offered it to be used for the Sonic 4, obviously since there's not so many limitations the level art will go under a major reworking.

Also...not everyone over at Retro hates fan games. You shouldn't generalize like that. -_-

Some people just prefer ROM hacking, it doesn't make them anti-fan game. Is there some bad history between the two communities that I missed? There seems to be a lot of negative feelings here...

Alright, I may not be on this board a lot but I've got stuff to say, mostly covering said stuff.

I've seen a lot of negative reactions to this project, but we did get some on Retro too, such as refusing to add Adventure style elements to the people who were getting involved in the project. You've all got your own opinions, the main point of the Sonic 4 Project is to be community-based, people are joining the project forums, some lucky people'll end up becoming part of the team & contributing good stuff to the project. I rarely play fangames, the ones I've got is Sonic XG, Retro Sonic & Sonic Nexus, other than that I have tons of ROM hacks. These fangames that I mentioned have good features, a good concept, that's what Sonic 4's trying to be. We're not trying to say "ha ha we are superior than you ha ha" but have you seen contributions made to the project? It doesn't matter what field it is in ie: art, music, descriptions, people are contributing to it & are showing that Sonic 4 could work.

That's what I'm saying, I suck at typing long posts so cocks.

If you all had any real sense at all, it wouldn't be so-called "lucky people" who end up being part of it. See, that mentality is why this project will fail. It's the egotistical community project mindset that plagues it. There will always be this attitude that someone else can pick up the slack whenever someone falls behind, and no one ever does, because the only real difference between a community project and a normal project is name, and the only difference name makes is in attitude.

As for the contributions made to it so far, they are really not very indicative of what a sequel to Sonic 3 would be. Not at all. That isn't to say none of the sprites are worthwhile, it's just that they don't in any way live up to the standard you set out to have when you claim you are making the spiritual sequel to Sonic 3. What you all have here isn't anything remotely resembling a sequel to Sonic 3, what you have here is just another fangame, masquerading as a spiritual sequel to build up hype.

And generally speaking, we have a rule here about topics for fangames...

If all you have is concept, you don't have a topic.

I knew I had seen it somewhere! This game doesn't even have original material, aside from concept art and a cheesy sprite. But that doesn't amount to anything.

WHAT? My level art IS original material, and I haven't even released my hack yet. Just because it was originally drawn for my hack, makes it not original somehow?

Actually, since my hack is unreleased...it is unique to this project. I have posted screens of my hack and even video on youtube, but it hasn't been released. I assure you it's not a ripoff of level art in another hack.

What's with all the hate? :(

Spike, I'll go as far as to say that it shouldn't really be a concern...

The main problem we were having was that we don't really see any content at all. Purely original or not...

Basically, what I'm saying, you should have shown this when you guys had something a bit more to show.

I know it can be exciting, but waiting a bit longer to show off stuff rather than saying essentially 'we have awesome stuff, but you can't see it yet unitil it's ready' would have been a lot better...

Uh, Armada, you do realize that you're a huge douchebag, don't you? Good. Quit getting so upset over a blue hedgehog that was only legitimately cool in the 90s. Don't expect to get help by badgering the members of this forum, and weaseling in insults among your bits of ePoliteness. It somehow blows my mind that you and the rest of the Retrococks never seem to get it through your head that as a community, you've got the same vibe and maturity level as Sonic Cult. But then again, when I think about it, it really doesn't.

Also some more nitpicky things:

1.) Tweaker doesn't make his own music, he steals MIDIs and runs them through soundfonts. He has told me this himself. It's frankly insulting.

2.) You misspelled "characters" in your flowchart. Real professional.

3.) Who cares if a game engine perfectly emulates the original Sonic engine? Fuck that. The general SFGHQ motto is to try to make the game fun using characters we enjoy, not be total posers.

• Like 1

Eh. I'm totally oblivious to Sonic Retro. I only heard about it because Nexus got a page up there, then TFH did.

Anyway, due to events that Armada is probably well aware of, I won't be contributing to this project. The events in question really showed me that the game is being run by wishfully-thinking elitists. Not meant as an insult by the way, but I can't have fun if the higher ups act that way.

Good glad to see we're all elitists here. Just lock this topic. I'm not up to giving a rant to you idiots about how imature everyone (including myself) has been in this topic. I only ask this, seeing as this topic isn't making anyone happy.

Also some more nitpicky things:

1.) Tweaker doesn't make his own music, he steals MIDIs and runs them through soundfonts. He has told me this himself. It's frankly insulting.

2.) You misspelled "characters" in your flowchart. Real professional.

3.) Who cares if a game engine perfectly emulates the original Sonic engine? Fuck that. The general SFGHQ motto is to try to make the game fun using characters we enjoy, not be total posers.

1: I'm not all too familiar with the way Tweaker does things, however, he can take pretty much any song and get it into the right format to be used in a Genesis Sonic game. Weather they are original songs or not, this is still something pretty impressive.

2: Person who wrote up the flowchart has English as a second language, so there's bound to be typos here and there.

3: Sonic 2 was made off Sonic. Sonic 3K was made off Sonic 2. All these games had the same feel. (Heck, wasn't it shown that even Sonic Advance was made off of Sonic 3K?) So when making a "Sonic 4" type project, obviously we're going to try and stick to the same thing that was in all previous Sonic games.

Isn't the whole "I give up! You guys are all idiots!" thing grounds for a ban on this forum?

Oh, I'm not giving up on this project. WE aren't, it's not just me. And you guys were acting rather rude. You can't possibly deny that. Anyway, do whatever, seeing as I broke rules.