A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic 4 Project

Armada

I would like to have time to help on it but I don't think I will...

But I would like to say that it's a very interesting project, I like how it's starting! The music and the level are nice (I would just change the colors to look less like emerald hill)

Keep up the good work!

"How about we both change our names? Like, right now?"

Dude, I already solved this. You're making Sonic 4, and they're making Sonic the Hedgehog 4. It's totally nectar.

In all seriousness, though, the level art and that sprite look rather nice.

Wow. You guys are easily impressed (of course, I know that and exploited that fact successfully for years).

I for one don't even see one original concept in that concept art.

The art may not seem unique, but we're coming up with surprises that I'm sure will catch you off gaurd. The art itself is based on the "cliches" of Sonic, so that's why it may not seem so original, but I can assure you, it won't be humdrum retrowank.

Excuse my spelling, English has never been my strong point. XD

I completely agree with Dami. I've heard a Sonic Retro guy diss Sonic Worlds with some garbage like "No fan-made engine can properly emulate classic sonic gameplay - only hacks can. I would know, I've played quite a few hacks in my day."

This doesn't really offer anything we haven't seen before.

Long story short, you guys are basically doing what we have for years. Yes, I just love Sonic Retro's hypocrisy, hating and qualifying fangames as trash, but once they want to make one, they all go gay about it.

Heh, this isn't even a Retro project, and it never was. The topic was trashed and we split off into a separate forum for organization. Also, I do believe that unless someone uses the code from the Genesis engine and translates it, a fan game will never be able to replicate the classic feel off the physics. Oh, that, and free rotation. Eugh.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my opinion on the above comments. I do enjoy fan games though if they're done right. Don't get me wrong.

Heh, this isn't even a Retro project, and it never was.

Oh really? Never was you say?

I'm pretty sure the original topic over at Sonic Retro implied that it was originally intended to be a Sonic Retro community project. The staff consists entirely of Sonic Retro members, and to be quite blunt about it, the only thing that makes it anything less than a Sonic Retro project is an apparent inability for you all to get support for a subforum on the Community projects board.

In fact, I'd like to refer anyone who is curious about this project really to have a look at this trashed topic over at Sonic Retro...

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=11367

Oh, and Wetflame is in on it.

Also, what about this link? It seems you're trying to get the project back in on Retro.

http://s4.besonic.fm/index.php?showtopic=32

Hahahaha, this is exactly what I expected from these people.

Heh, this isn't even a Retro project, and it never was. The topic was trashed and we split off into a separate forum for organization. Also, I do believe that unless someone uses the code from the Genesis engine and translates it, a fan game will never be able to replicate the classic feel off the physics. Oh, that, and free rotation. Eugh.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my opinion on the above comments. I do enjoy fan games though if they're done right. Don't get me wrong.

First of all, even though it's not an official Retro project, the main supporters of this project are most of the Sonic Retro (or best said, S2Beta) "core" users, the ones who love to disregard our work :)

Also, can't you guys do anything without your ASM disassembly? A lot of people seem to have that ignorant mentality that leads them to believe fangames require no effort whatsoever. But we, instead of trying to learn how to use an already made engine from a 4 generations old platform; we took the path of fully developing our very own.

Without having any previous knowledge or materials on how the engines internally worked, nor how we could apply to our development tools, we developed our own methods and logic. With time, these methods progressed and evolved to the extent of fully achieving a decent approximation of the real thing (A very good example of this is Retro Sonic, which pretty much is a pixel perfect simulation of the older games).

And I must say this can be way more difficult than learning other's code (And don't take me wrong, I admire and respect the pioneer people who were able to learn and succeed to fully comprehend the engine internals). Making a perfect replica of the original physics doesn't matter much as long as you can correctly implement most of the concepts and dynamics of the game, and expand them further (something I don't see much with hacks though).

And as for free rotation? Uh, well, sorry for not being limited by 80's hardware technology.

-kthxbyegtfo.

Just because evryone here has a Retro "elitist core" or "ASM 1337ness v.s. programmin skillz" grudge doesn't mean that's ok to insult the project and myself personally. Just because the staff is Retro members doesn't mean we're heartless dictators that only choose what we want and ignore people who post rational ideas.

All your posts do hold some truth to them, but insulting me for my opinion (Dami) is not the way to go about it. Serious or not, I think some of the members who have been around here would've been more mature.

I don;t want this to turn into a flame or trash topic. If you'd like to give constructive criticism, please do so, saying "this sucks", "we're not limited by ASM and we can program all that with awesome skills" is not the way to go about it. i'm not looking for smooth sailing and lolipops and junk the entire time though. Sorry, just trying to keep this topic clean. Sorry if my topic has offened anyone.

All your posts do hold some truth to them, but insulting me for my opinion (Dami) is not the way to go about it. Serious or not, I think some of the members who have been around here would've been more mature.

1) How was Dami insulting your opinion? You made a comment that warranted such a reply.

2) The members who have posted in this thread have been far from immature.

Sorry, just trying to keep this topic clean. Sorry if my topic has offened anyone.
Also, I do believe that unless someone uses the code from the Genesis engine and translates it, a fan game will never be able to replicate the classic feel off the physics. Oh, that, and free rotation. Eugh.

You can't really expect to waltz in a fangame community, say how the hacking community is better, and not offend anyone. It's the equivalent of walking into Warner Brothers Studio, and telling them how their cartoons will never have the innocent child feel of Disney and are therefor inferior. How does this example make any sense? Both companies make cartoons with a different approach, both Retro and SFGHQ make Sonic games with a different approach.

I personally couldn't care less about some feud going on between Sonic communities, given the fact that I just recently woke up from hibernation, but some basic courtesy is in order.

Please, I'd like you to quote any point of my post that would point me as an immature person, or even an insult to your opinion or even the project. :)

You're right. The fault is mine, I shouldn't have accused you of such things at that level. Heh, I haven't been thinking straight, I'm trying to sweat out some sickness at the moment, so I'd like you to forgive me for being a bit of a nut.

But here's what I found a bit insulting/imature, since you asked.

Also, can't you guys do anything without your ASM disassembly? A lot of people seem to have that ignorant mentality that leads them to believe fangames require no effort whatsoever.

Prejudging all of us.

kthxbyegtfo.

I found that a bit immature, serious or not.

It can simply be disregarded, I over reacted a bit.

So whats the deal with this sentiment that you all are thinking about changing the name? Everywhere I look on that board, it seems you all are making some sort of graphic related to Sonic and the number four... whether it's a logo that just says "Sonic The Hedgehog 4" or a sketch of Sonic holding up four fingers... seems rather counterproductive to me if you aren't actually going to go through with that narcissistic title.

So whats the deal with this sentiment that you all are thinking about changing the name? Everywhere I look on that board, it seems you all are making some sort of graphic related to Sonic and the number four... whether it's a logo that just says "Sonic The Hedgehog 4" or a sketch of Sonic holding up four fingers... seems rather counterproductive to me if you aren't actually going to go through with that narcissistic title.

We're working on deciding the new name. Personally, I don't see the rush to change it until we have a substancial amount of work to go from being a concept to a true project.