A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: The Fated Hour - July 2009 Update

As for what Sonic will have equipped at any given time, only Amy's shop menu will run from external files, because I want the ability to adjust prices as I make the game (to adjust for how many rings the player will have), without having to edit the prices in every individual frame.

What Sonic has bought will be stored in an object via flags.

That makes sense (and was the approach I was starting on in my inventory system). You're probably using a Sub-App, right?

This game looks very interesting and quite fun. I'm really loving the effects especially when you boost. This is the first time I stumbled upon this fan-game and I never experienced the Christmas Demo that I read about in the first post, but will all items need to be activated from the Inventory system?

This game looks very interesting and quite fun. I'm really loving the effects especially when you boost. This is the first time I stumbled upon this fan-game and I never experienced the Christmas Demo that I read about in the first post, but will all items need to be activated from the Inventory system?

You'll have to buy and equip them, yes.

Well, uh, basically...

Because this was an old version of Sonic Worlds - one of the first versions released for MMF2 - I basically had to write a lot of it myself. The camera wasn't even written yet - it was just a simple "center screen on Sonic" event.

In other words, my camera code is 100% custom and of my own design. I don't know if what I could tell you would help a whole lot - I remember fiddling around with a newer build of Worlds for my

, and it being really unwieldy as far as trying to recode camera functionality (I think I wanted to make it shake when Sonic destroyed the breakable wall).

That is one of the many reasons why I've decided to stick with the old alpha version of Sonic Worlds rather than try and update it to the latest version with all the new features.

Something you could try (though I don't guarantee it'll work) is... first create a counter called "Shake Magnitude", then put this as the final event in the camera group:

Counter("Shake Magnitude) > 0
	- Set X Position of Camera Object to X Position of Camera Object + Random( Counter("Shake Magnitude") ) - Random( Counter("Shake Magnitude") )
	- Set Y Position of Camera Object to Y Position of Camera Object + Random( Counter("Shake Magnitude") ) - Random( Counter("Shake Magnitude") )
	- Subtract 1 from Counter("Shake Magnitude")

The higher you set "Shake Magnitude", the harder the screen will shake and the longer it will shake for. However, as I've found, Sonic Worlds turns off all collisions on Sonic if he ventures too far off the screen, so try not to set this too high.

That is, if it even works. As I said before, I remember having trouble implementing a screen shaking feature for my level design contest entry.

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder why we don't just put the events in a the global events section of our applications rather than putting them in levels...

I used to do that until I realized you can't program qualifiers in global events. =/

Nice stuff btw Blaze.

Sometimes I wonder why we don't just put the events in a the global events section of our applications rather than putting them in levels...

Because i find it retarded. You'll end up doing alot more work in the long run.

And you know guys, camera shake can just be a simple animation. If the camera is an active object, tell it to focus on the camera's action point, and make an animation that just moves it around really fast.

unless youre talking about the way his camera doesnt always focus directly on Sonic, in which case you'll have to just program it yourself.

Rep up for the detailed info, Blaze. I didn't end up utilizing it, but I think it'd be helpful for other users wanting to get the hang of camera shaking.

I don't know what version of Worlds I'm using (I've made so many random changes), but I know there is a camera system implemented, I found values for CameraShiftX and CameraShiftY.

Basically I just did

-(Condition Fulfilled)
Add "sin(Level Timer)*10" to CameraShiftX

Because i find it retarded. You'll end up doing alot more work in the long run.

Describe how this is so. I don't see how this is true, and from what I can tell, you'll actually end up saving more time than in other ways conceivably possible due to your ability to make quick edits to the engine without having to figure out how to fix it in every single frame. Sometimes, if you are actually along in your project, trying to fix each frame is practically impossible, especially when you have a lot of differences between levels such as gimmicks and things.

Lately all I've been doing is little polish stuff. I redid the dashing graphic so it looks cleaner, I implemented the music playing system, etc. For those looking to peek in to the current state of the TFH To Do list...

tfhtodo_june2008.gif

I swear every time I cross something off I add three more things.

Describe how this is so. I don't see how this is true, and from what I can tell, you'll actually end up saving more time than in other ways conceivably possible due to your ability to make quick edits to the engine without having to figure out how to fix it in every single frame. Sometimes, if you are actually along in your project, trying to fix each frame is practically impossible, especially when you have a lot of differences between levels such as gimmicks and things.

Well, thats why i usually build and test every gimmick and system that will be present in the game in a single frame, then just copy/paste the frames and delete the groups/objects that wont be used.

Global events and actives are really buggy in my experience. After the first project i lost to them i kind of quit using them.