A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Mark and Dami's little experiment

Personally, I only had serious trouble in the very old first(?) demo where your acceleration was insanely low. But still, going through a tight triple loop very fast. There's little chance that you're going to get it right the first time you try. It all depends on the level design, of course.

On that note, I don't think I'll ever accept mouse-controlled platforming as superior to analog-controlled for 3rd-person platforming (and I've always hated 1st-person platforming; you can't see your feet). If for no other reason than to control your speed, which is extremely important on sticking landings. The mouse has deadly precision, but it was meant for pointing, not quick-turning cameras to supplement the fact that your actual controls only have a combined 9 different states.

Eh... I didn't have any trouble getting through the loops the first time he sent me the engine.

I think people are probably just trying to hard to control it themselves.

It's still clear that more people are having trouble than not. :P It's not going to kill Dami or Mark to try and compensate for us either; some of the suggestions in here are remarkably easy to implement.

Why everyone keeps having problems with the loops? Just go straight to the loop and don't move the character. The loop triangle normals change the direcction of Sonic correctly in order to get into the loop, so you don't need to rotate by yourself.
I didn't have problems with loops but yes, the camera spins toooo quickly. However it's an early build, so no worries.

It's an excellent demo of a 3D engine of Sonic physics, congrats to Damizean and Mark.

BTW, why using Blitz3D and not OGRE for instance?

Porque Blitz3D ofrece un marco de trabajo mucho más solido que muchos motores que hay por ahí. Además, OGRE es solo un motor de renderizado. Claro que si encontramos un motor tan solido y facil de utilizar, consideraremos cambiar :)

Hope that answers your question.

Except that what you said is a big blatant lie. Of course Mario 64 was critically acclaimed, but that was due the fact they innovated in terms of gameplad control, wich used an analog stick that allowed you to point to any direction instead of the fixed 8 directions that the previous gen pads had. But mouse movement has been the most accurate way to play (if correctly implemented) a game since ever, wich is the point why all the games that require precission use mouse look (why hello there, FPS).

I know the mouse configuration used on the engine isn't the best (at least the early builds, I've enhanced it a lot with the customizable input system, but it's just tricky to configure), but saying that mouse look + WASD is less precisse than analog means you never ever tryied enough. A good example of that is playing SRB2 in analog mode, and then using the mouse look. There's a world of difference between those.

You just never had any problems with most platform that use gamepad because:

a) They're slow

B) The camera is on rails, wich almost completely nullifies the skills factor in most cases (as analog movement is based upon camera's pitch value).

Fine, that Mario64 comment was inaccurate (I didn't feel that it was really worth looking back to archives about why Mario64 was great and I still won't so I'll take your word for it, not that I should... In my book, you could have put Mario in an empty cube and he was excessively fun to move around I do recall Myamoto )

But I don't see how you can say keyboard can be as accurate as analog. You can't adjust your acceleration the way you like it.

And most analog controllers do have, you know... 2 analog thumbsticks... One usable for player movement and the other for camera movement...

Oh, it's easy to see how it's easy for you and how much you like your current system. You've been working on it for a long time and you got attached to it. There's a reason I took a few months break from working a certain crappy game I thought was an awesome game a few months back... It puts things into perspective really...

I'm only stating my opinion. You don't have to like it.

Porque Blitz3D ofrece un marco de trabajo mucho más solido que muchos motores que hay por ahí. Además, OGRE es solo un motor de renderizado. Claro que si encontramos un motor tan solido y facil de utilizar, consideraremos cambiar :)

Hope that answers your question.

Omg I understood that.

Pero pienso que debes utilizar C4. Puedo ayudar con el coste de licencia. DW pudo ayudar también.

It's runs real smooth on my PC, looks really great too.. Seemed a bit like the starting acceleration was a bit too slow though and I think an auto cam would be better...It kind of makes it hard to stay facing in the correct direction while going through the loops, or have loops that lock you into their path... But looks extreamly promising.. Really looking forward to experimenting with this.....

Sorry to go back to this, but why not have the on-rail loop thing, just with more than one path? There can be a middle rail and a left and right rail. You could maybe move between them if you decided that adding obstacles or something to the loops would be a cool thing to do and the player still wouldn't have to deal with randomly flying off the edge and the need for speed (omfg?) would still be there.

As far as Streak's level, it's looking pretty cool. Textures are a bit to plain for my tastes but of course, it's still a work in progress. Can't wait to see the finished version.