A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the hedgehog:Emerald Chaos: STARTING FROM SCRATCH

sonic101

Thanks, besides the title screen I've added in a cinematic between stage 4 and 5, added a little more to stage 4 act 3, and im working more on stage 5 now. contemplating changing the HUD from sprites to draw functions... but i don't want to lose the "OLD SCHOOL" feel. When I get a day off from work i should take the tme to clean up the code in my game to cut back on the ram usage.

• 2 weeks later...

is it me, or does this game take up massive amounts of system resources? i know im playing on a laptop, but a fangame should slow down the computer so much it has to increase the virtual memory!!?? (something which only happens when my laptop runs out of power and auto hibernates from dawn of war) you need to fix this, it runs like a snail on my machine. oh and i have about 350 RAM if you were wondering

is it me, or does this game take up massive amounts of system resources? i know im playing on a laptop, but a fangame should slow down the computer so much it has to increase the virtual memory!!?? (something which only happens when my laptop runs out of power and auto hibernates from dawn of war) you need to fix this, it runs like a snail on my machine. oh and i have about 350 RAM if you were wondering

Yes I know my games a resource whore. I've been trying to figure out what it is with my game that uses up so much. I mean I use object deactivation, and I had everything as a preload resource. That cut back on in-game lag big-time but the start up load time was huge and it would crash on some pc's. so I uploaded beta 239 yesterday which forces fullscreen(doesn't change resolution) and took out some of the preloading things to try to balance the start up lag with the in-game. I don't know how well it'll help, but it'sj ust to give it a try and see which works better. ( windowed with all things preloading or fullscreen with no preload)

If anyone has any suggestions on cutting back on the amount of resources my game uses I'd be very greatful to hear them.

I have 3 pc's at home, one with a gig of ram and 2 with 512mb of ram. It runs perfectly fine on the 1 gig one lol (of course) but on my 2 512mb ones it slows down when switching stages/rooms.

Yay! I finally got a chance to play this game :). I have to say it was my favorite at Sage. You keep the game so fresh with all the moves and different events that happen like the part where the lava chases you.

I love your use of the particle system everywhere very nice I've never even taken the time to look at the GM particle system but after playing this I'm gonna have to look at it and see what I can do in my game.

I also like the fact that this game is more an adventure game then most you don't get multiple paths but there is always something new and interesting to do in this game. The pace is a little slower then most Sonic games which I like reminds me of Sonic CD :).

Anyway defiantly my favorite Sage game and one of the few fan games I can see myself playing all the way through.

• 3 weeks later...
Pretty sure he's banned so it doesn't matter.

I thought he was a "spammer bot", anyway it doesn't matter :P

Yes I know my games a resource whore. I've been trying to figure out what it is with my game that uses up so much. I mean I use object deactivation, and I had everything as a preload resource. That cut back on in-game lag big-time but the start up load time was huge and it would crash on some pc's. so I uploaded beta 239 yesterday which forces fullscreen(doesn't change resolution) and took out some of the preloading things to try to balance the start up lag with the in-game. I don't know how well it'll help, but it'sj ust to give it a try and see which works better. ( windowed with all things preloading or fullscreen with no preload)

If anyone has any suggestions on cutting back on the amount of resources my game uses I'd be very greatful to hear them.

I have 3 pc's at home, one with a gig of ram and 2 with 512mb of ram. It runs perfectly fine on the 1 gig one lol (of course) but on my 2 512mb ones it slows down when switching stages/rooms.

I had played your first demo, and the only slowdowns were caused by particle effects, and I suggest to use a lower resolution, like 320x240 and full scale it in fulscreen. But here, there's a problem, the screen gots blurry when you do this, btw the 16 and 32 bit pallete and resolution change are pretty neat for this, besides they forces the resolution to change.

Noob question: I can't download the game, the server is too busy, so I tried to trick using proxy sites, but the page isn't open, how I download this?

• 2 months later...

Hello, I know not much of an update but I am still working on the game when I get the time and patience lol. Everything has been so crazy with work, dealing with a lot of lifes tough choices ect. Anyway I'm still working on act 1 of junkyard Albatross(stage 5). Been doing my best to make it have multile pathways in that stage, I'm currently trying to fix a few bugs with some switch related level gimmics. And theres one or two glitches i need to fix in other stages too.. so much to do so little time, but i wanted to let everyone know though that the project isnt dead and hopefully by next SAGE I'll have enough new stuff to warent showing the game again next year.

I'll post here again if anything really important concerning the game pops up.

Heh, haven't heard from you in a long while. What complications are we talking about, here?

Nothing that isnt hard to fix, I got a list written down of small glitches I need to fix. And ya I missed being here lol. I should do another play through the game

just to see if theres any I might have missed.

Dude, I thought you fell off of the face of the Earth, sonic101. Welcome back. Good to see you're still working on the game.

Heh, Nah I'm not dead just very busy these days.