A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the hedgehog:Emerald Chaos: STARTING FROM SCRATCH

sonic101

Wow, That's alot but thanks for your support, I'm glad you like it thus far.

And I'm really glad you liked Jeweled cathedral, I spent 8 months alone making that stage and planning it out. Now to adress your comments and critisms.

1.) Horizontal platfroms. I thought i'd fixed that long ago.. the reason it happens with all of the platforms like that is becuase it really is only one platform, that is programmed to change its sprite depending on what stage it is in, that cuts back on reprograming the object for each level. I dont get it, cuz its set to bounce the other way if sonic hits it on the side. I'll look in to it.

2.) stage 1 act 1 shadow cutscene glitch. I'm not sure why that happened either, cuz the second shadow speaks its automatically set to make sonic un moveable. and once he chaoscontrols out and dissapears its set to alow sonic to move again, I'll have to try to recreate this glitch to really know whats going on.

3.)traped under falling blocks. those blocks were just kind of hastely placed there as a quick effort to add gimmics to the stages. I too have noticed its hard to get back out if you dont run over all the blocks, Perhaps the easy fix would be to allow sonic t pass through from undernieth and places springs there, the same problem can be found when obtainning the antigravity shoes.

4.) Ring trail time length. it is that short becuase of the level design. if i allowed another second you could make it to the next ring relay trail and the rings would still be up, so the player might try to dash on them only to fall to his doom. It was kind of a sacrifice to just make the player hurry rather then die of obvious stupidy on my part lol. I'm not really happy with that particular ring trails set up so I plan on changing it just a tad to allow easier passage over that spike bed.

5.) stuck in the ground at blizzard peak, yep this is caused by the glitchy spike bed damage system. I've been racking my brain trying to get spike collisions and getting hit by them to work properly, Id greatly appriciate help with that lol.

6.) I'm not sure which of the sprites your refering to that gets reused, could you snap shot it ( you can use the numpad to warp you to various levels in the beta)?

7.) act 3 of stage 2, rising lava bed speed, ya I've already fixed that one in my current build ( not uploaded yet, I plan a huge change on the next upload)

I found it too hard myself to reach the top givin the new acceleration system being added, I fouind myself dieing to much as well, now its been slowed down greatly, I found on a flawless run it takes 18 seconds for the lava bed to reach the top after I do, on a totally bad run where I fell 4 times and had to wait for the multiple horizontal moving platforms area to sync up enough for me to use the spring and go up, i still had 11 seconds for the lava to reach me after i reached the top. the to test it again I purposefully took a long time to reach the top and waited for it to catch up to me and even tough it rid my tail as i wall jumped up the narrow part at the top i made it out, it should be okay now.

8.) blizzard peaks lack of gimmicks. i know... i couldn't think of anything beyond those snowball shooters lol. any idea's? maybe a snow bank that slows you down? or a fors shooter that freezes you.. but those some how dont seem enough... and I've been trying to fix the snow fall, the bigger it gets the laggier it gets.

8.)more rings? really I thought maybe I had to many...

9.) I like your idea of 3 gimmicks per stage. I shall try to acomplish that. I should get out some paper and brain storm some in the theme of each stage. Thanks for the tip. Though other mentioned it before, for some reason worded liek that it rings home more.

10.) Check points and time recording, I've thought of that aswell, and it is written on my big sheet of paper listing all the tweaks I want to make to the game.

11.) lightdashing and shooting off in the air. I have no clue what cuases this really, that bug is even found in sonic adventure lol. My game checks if there is a power ring with in 150 pixels of sonic, then if there is it moves towards the x and y coordinates of that power ring and only if there is one, it is also set to move towards the closest one first... I shall look in to my gml coding and try to find out why it does this.

12.) ideas reused to much. I personally Agree, I've been running through my vast sonic game collection to try to get inspiration, while playing through my game some parts wow me and i think to myself " wow did I really come up with that? that was good" and others just say "bleck.. bad idea" it's a learning process. Trial and error. I like the switch idea for hidden tokens. I plan to add minigames to be unlocked by the tokens aswell as some bloopers and maybe an interview with the various people that have helped me work on the game.

I have to say that you have done very well with this, and I enjoyed the game a lot so far (even though it lags on my cruddy computer). Good luck finishing this project, I can't wait to see more.

Thank you very much, I've worked very hard on it and I'm glad it's paying off, I found your post very informative and helpful and I will try to incorperate your advice :) the next release is sure to be alot better I promise :) ( I've already spruced up some things to cut back on file size and lag)

Thanks for the advice!

And to Rael0505 and Zal I appologize for being an arse above, I was having a really stressed out bad day. ( really bad, I've been so stressed lately I've been having sharp chest pains and heart flutters, at work today I had to sit down becuase I was getting the sharp pains again, and that's not good, Im only going on 21 years of age (this august))

Eight months? O_o

yup, the whole idea came to me in a dream i had whilst I fell asleep during a particuarly boring day and I really liked the idea behind it, but wasnt sure how to do certain things like the glowing blocks, or the rising lava beds. i wanted people to look at it and say " Wow that look so cool" and remember that stage as something rather mystifying. Have kind of a magical feel to it. like a mystical cathedral that was over riden with lava would look like. the concept was a cathedral like castle kind of place set inside a volcano. so you'd get all these different types of jewls and rocks, and of course lava beds. there was alot of thinking that went in to it.

@Zal: It is supposed to take you there. Sometimes, something pops up and you have to click continue with megaupload, but then all you have to do is click download and you should have it. If that's not it, then I don't know what the problem is...

As far as reusing ideas, my least favorite thing is the spike beds. At least there weren't too many, but they get frustrating. Because they are often pretty big, you get stuck waiting for the platform to reach you, and it gets boring. Also, because you can leap so far in the game, I often just jumped and hoped I made it all the way across or landed on the platform. A simple solution to prevent people from just leaping across is to put a backdrop object, like a sign of some sort, warning you of the spike bed ahead. The only one that I really didn't like waiting on was the one in blizzard peak. It was probably the biggest spike bed with only one platform moving across it. Spike beds are something you should steer away from. Only do it if you can't think of anything else. Having just a small set of spikes is fine, but what I'm talking about is the areas that you can't just jump across.

The other thing I was talking about was the area in Jeweled Cathedral where you have to jump across the lava bed with those rocks shooting up and down. I thought it was a great idea, but at one point you had to land somewhere around ten jumps in a row. Not only was that pretty difficult but it got old. I think it would be better to place many more smaller areas where you have to land no more than 4 or 5 jumps than one really long area. Also there was that area in Blizzard peak where you jumped over spikes, there were three rings in the air, and a ground badnik. You just did that over and over for a while. It's the same thing here. I think that one area was too long. Instead, try breaking up the area and spreading it out across the level.

As far as gimmicks go, again, it doesn't have to get complicated. It could be mostly an animation and hardly anything interactive. Ice zones I'm bad at as well. There's not a whole lot I can think of. Here's two ideas though.

1. There could be spikes on the ceiling that drop on you when you are under them.

2. You could take one of those columns that are placed abundantly throughout blizzard peak and place it right next to a spike bed. When you reach that area, the column collapses and creates a bridge for you to get across the spike bed.

Another thing is that all your badnicks are ground badniks. I think you should at least make some that fly through the air, or specifically for zone 1, ones that hang on the trees. They don't have to do anything special, it's just there so the level doesn't seem like it is repeating itself. If you ever notice the level seeming to repeat itself, stop and think what you can do to make the next area exciting.

I know I have said this already said this, but I can't stress it enough. The gimmicks can be simple. All they have to do is attract and keep the player's attention. The best gimmicks are usually simple. If Super Mario Bros. isn't proof enough of that, I don't know what is. The steps in Jeweled Cathedral that lit up when you stood on them was outrageously cool by itself, and very simple.

Another thing is alternate routes. I see you have gone into this a bit already, but almost every time, the second route ends with you getting a token. Try including some alternate routes that lead you all the way through. They should join back up in places, but you shouldn't have to turn back around and go the correct path again. With alternate routes, you can hide one token in each of the paths, and voila, you have replay value. This is usually the point of having special tokens in the game anyway, and having alternate routes will almost force you to go back through the level again if you want to unlock everything. So far, I have been able to find all of the tokens you have hidden, and I didn't have to go back and redo any levels to get them.

I hope all that helps. :) If you ever need some help with ideas, I could help you out a bit. I'm a pretty good level designer, so I'm always coming up with stuff.

Well here's beta 233 here's what it features now

New features!

-loads more stage gimmics ( more will be implimented next beta release)

-some new badniks (next release will add more to stages 3 and 4)

-redesigned levels ( no more huge boring spike beds or repetiive jumping fireballs)

-new options screen using draw functions rather then sprites

-new stage intros using draw functions rather then sprites

glitches I have fixed

- the shadow 1st apearance cut scene glitch

I made it so instead of just being 130 pixels in front of shadow to trigger the cinematic he checks with in 200 pixels all around him, the same now goes for the meeting tails event.

- sprite errors when standing on edges in blizzard speak

- the stage timer and sonic's movement( players not allowed to move) wont start until the stage intro completely finishes.

this also gives the stage time to create itself to avoid lag further on.

and a few other things

Things planned for the next release

- deacceleration

- fix the horizontal platforms glitch( getting stuck on their sides)

- fix the spike damage system( hopefully)

- more stage gimics for stage 3( stairs that extend and retract from the wall with spikes on them like the ones in sonic 2's mystic cave and stuff like that)

- a boss for stage 4

- redesigned act 3 of stage 4 to accompany the new boss

and alot more hopefully, anyway, here' the link for the beta

EDIT: reuploaded a newer vision that fixes 3 major collision problems in stage 3

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LBPDB8EF

Tell me what ya think? is this better then the last release?

The acceleration feels too sluggish for my liking, but that's easily tweaked, and otherwise you've done a good job with it. Sonic doesn't bounce off enemies when he attacks them, and I'm still not a great fan of the floaty gravity, but apart from those things this is shaping up nicely, and should be an excellent fangame when it's done.

Ooookaaay. Well I finally got to download this, and I have to say I'm actually quite impressed with the feel of this. I love how you've kept this game in traditional Sonic style, and didn't try to whore it up with all the "new stuff". There were a few bugs, but nothing that can't really be fixed. Good job so far. The only thing that got me really stuck was that when you had to use the antigrav boots to get up the wall some random bug stopped me from even jumping. :rolleyes:

Ooookaaay. Well I finally got to download this, and I have to say I'm actually quite impressed with the feel of this. I love how you've kept this game in traditional Sonic style, and didn't try to whore it up with all the "new stuff". There were a few bugs, but nothing that can't really be fixed. Good job so far. The only thing that got me really stuck was that when you had to use the antigrav boots to get up the wall some random bug stopped me from even jumping. :rolleyes:

hmm.. I tested like crazy just before i released this version, I havent had any problems with the wall jump are you able to recreate the glitch? or gimme a screen shot of where it happened ? or explain where it was and what you were tryign to do in full detail?

Ok, the new demo is TONS better. The level design has been greatly improved, in Blizzard Peak especially. Only 2 things:

1.In my opinion, you have to wait too long for this platform to reach you. The simplest fix would be to just add another.

ECBETA2_1.png

2.There's a bug with the crystal gimmick. If you jump into them, you get stuck between the top of them and the ceiling.

ECBETA2_2.png

The game is going very well. The levels are interesting and the difficulty is just right.

I noticed that problem in Blizzard Peak too. Also, when you use a spring and hit the underside of the moving platforms, ceilings, etc. you hang in the air until your upward momentum ends and you fall back down.

By the way, where did you get that Green Hill remix for Jeweled Cathedral from?

Ah glad you guys like the fruits of all my hard work, last night i stayed up till 4 am implimenting a score tallying system, finally got it working lol, i didn't make it do that counting down stuff, it just shows everything with all the calculations done heres a screenie

scoretally.jpg

Again using the drawing functions of game maker, they sure have quite a bit of uses lol. I'm fallin in love with em lol. Anyway I still need to add in a letter grading system, That could take awhile considering ill have to play through each stage to determine the best scores to use for the different grades. But the actual coding would be simple., Just having the score tally in there now when I'm testing I find myself trying to beat my last score heh. My Game is deffinately improving on the fun factor.

Thanks again for all your help guys

1.In my opinion, you have to wait too long for this platform to reach you. The simplest fix would be to just add another.

Okay, I've extended the platform on the other side of that moving platform, its quite possible to just jump over it and land on the other side if you dont want to wait for the platform, theres a badnik there now too so you can homing attack it to extend your jumping length if need be.

2.There's a bug with the crystal gimmick. If you jump into them, you get stuck between the top of them and the ceiling.

I fixed it! Thanks for pointing it out.

I noticed that problem in Blizzard Peak too. Also, when you use a spring and hit the underside of the moving platforms, ceilings, etc. you hang in the air until your upward momentum ends and you fall back down.

lol ya I've found that one along time ago, I've been meaning to get around to fixing it sooner or later.

lol ya I've found that one along time ago, I've been meaning to get around to fixing it sooner or later.

Isn't that problem caused by when Sonic's at the cieling, he stops positioning but his upward velocity isn't set to 0?

Isn't that problem caused by when Sonic's at the cieling, he stops positioning but his upward velocity isn't set to 0?

ya pretty much, ive just been to busy with everything else gamewise to fix it lol. I'll get aroudn to it eventually. prolly before next release

ya pretty much, ive just been to busy with everything else gamewise to fix it lol. I'll get aroudn to it eventually. prolly before next release

Cool. I really got to remind myself to bug my dad to let me use his comp.

You know about the score tallying stuff, it's extremely easy to make it add up your points intead of already being there. You just make the point value subtract and as it subtracts add to the total points. Also, where do you plan to put the letter ranking? Right now the screen looks full, unless of course you make the letter kind of big and put it in the center of the screen. ( Maybe even give it a 3D effect using Photoshop )

You know about the score tallying stuff, it's extremely easy to make it add up your points intead of already being there. You just make the point value subtract and as it subtracts add to the total points.

Ya I just finished adding int he sub tractions/aditions now lol and added the ability to just skip the tally entirely by hitting any key. bst of both worlds

Also, where do you plan to put the letter ranking? Right now the screen looks full, unless of course you make the letter kind of big and put it in the center of the screen. ( Maybe even give it a 3D effect using Photoshop )

Ya the letter grade would apear in the middle of the screen ontop of the score tally there

EDIT just let you you all know you can download the latest beta(234) with the new score tally system implimented on my game's website

http://www.geocities.com/sthec_project , I just updated the site finally heh.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's beta 235

What's New!

- Object deactivation ( this cuts big MAJORLY on lag)

thanks to AeroGP for helping me with that!

the game now runs at a smooth 29-31 FPS fluidly through out game play.

- Stage 5 now has it's own background music rather then playing the music from stage4.

-Stage intros now appear after dieing or hitting the F3 reset button.

- New dialogue for the first scene of the game with sonic and the first boss cinimatic. this was done to make the dialogue sound more like somethign sonic would actually say.

here's the link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GDVWYKZR

- Object deactivation ( this cuts big MAJORLY on lag)

thanks to AeroGP for helping me with that!

the game now runs at a smooth 29-31 FPS fluidly through out game play.

I wouldn't call it fluid, but it's a great improvement. And you're welcome.

-Stage intros now appear after dieing or hitting the F3 reset button.

Better... now add some fading and a music reset.

- New dialogue for the first scene of the game with sonic and the first boss cinimatic. this was done to make the dialogue sound more like somethign sonic would actually say.

Good job there, actually. He sounds a lot more like himself now.

Besides these things, this game still sucks up a lot of my computer memory. You've still got a long way to go... :/