A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic the hedgehog:Emerald Chaos: STARTING FROM SCRATCH

sonic101

Okay, first things first, thanks Damizean for your help and that engine, I'm still rumaging through trying to learn heh, so I thinkI'll use it as a study toll for now and continue on using my own engine for this game, but still thanks a lot! I learned a few things heh.

next here's another new build,

NEW THIS BUILD

-----------------------

• Skidding and deaccelleration when switching directions
  • New tile set to get rid of ugly stretched tiles
  • Some new sound effects for various things
  • Fixed a bug when loading saved games

Tell me if this is any better now Seriphim :D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HB1LBHXP

This is much better. Aside from graphical issues, I only have two problems with it. The first is that the acceleration is still insanely high, you can get going at top speed in about half a second. That makes platforming very, very hard. the second is that wall jumping only works about 5% of the time. The must be something wrong with the collision, because almost every time I jump into the wall I am pushed about 10 pixels away from it, not allowing me to wall jump. Fix those and it will be great for a non-360-engine.

If anyone wants to see what engine he's referring about... you guys are also free to use it. It's pretty much the non-360º version of the Dash engine (it includes a generic usage platform engine, wich can be easily used on any object).

I say again that you have some problems with the backgrounds. Also object placement is not right. If you use a grid, you should put all the objects in a size compatible with the grid. If your grid is 8x8 and you have an objects 13x14 the object will be misplaced. Some flowers are inside the grass and some others doesn't fit right so it makes some collision's problems

As said before, because it seems you didn't read my post, I could try to help you on bgs.

I say again that you have some problems with the backgrounds. Also object placement is not right. If you use a grid, you should put all the objects in a size compatible with the grid. If your grid is 8x8 and you have an objects 13x14 the object will be misplaced. Some flowers are inside the grass and some others doesn't fit right so it makes some collision's problems

As said before, because it seems you didn't read my post, I could try to help you on bgs.

It's just a test stage stage, it's getting getting deleted later on anyway, there'd be no point in making it look uber pretty when it serves its purpose just fine now. I'm aware of the grid placement rule and I did read your post,

Well, SFA has been rebuild from scratch like 4 times, so don't worry about it, it will be for better. I could try to help you with some BGs or some gimmicks, but i don't know GM so i can be just the ideas guy :P

Also those flowers arent object's, they are just tiles.

The objects are proportionate to the 8x8 grid. Sonic's mask is 40x40, which divides by 8 in 5, which to say is 40 divided by 8= 5 and the floor and wall objects are all 16x16. You get the idea.

No need to be rude.

I'm working on the engine first and foremost, tiles are just decoration and not important at this stage.

Yeah, the movement feels alot better, but it still feels like you Hard-programmed movement, because it seems to fail sometimes in the air. Not sure though. Although that is a pretty big improvement.

See how a little bit of common science makes a difference?

• 1 month later...

Okay Here I am again with another release,

NEW THIS BUILD

-----------------

*Stage intro screen

*Hintera makea a return, with a better look ( i think so anyway)

* A couple gimics including a a wooden door that needs you to place a stone on a switch to open, and a breakable rock hiding a spring

* started some work towards multiple paths

* fixed a glitch with a shark badnik and its not respawning

* a few cosmetic changes

* fixed a few badly placed titles.

WHAT NEEDS FIXING

--------------------

* some movement issues when pressing certain buttons

* wonky air movments( bounce off a badnik and you'll see)

* collisions with wall jumping ( still cant find the problem here)

anyone see any other problems?

I'm open to suggestions too.

Have some screenies and a download.

Stage intro

intro.png

im going to tweak the colors for the steage title bar there....

sharky dude

001.png

a new place excessable only by that hidden spring

002.png

my puase menu heh...ya i borrowed the design from my other game (astro hunter X)

003.png

Well lemme know what you guys think, and when you find glitches( i know you will) please be descriptive so I can fix it.

I hope you enjoy, suggestions welcome!

I wasn't sure you were still working on this. Playing the test now.

The title card stays a little too long and should move offscreen faster. It looks good, though.

Sonic's acceleration is too high. It can make it hard to hop across platforms. Also, if you're still holding right as you press down to roll, Sonic runs in place.

Sonic has only one frame playing in his falling animation.

You should have a pop up window or something come up when Sonic grabs the shoe upgrades. I grabbed three of them and have no idea what any do.

Wall jump works very well. It's smoother than in the old engine. Collisions seem to work better overall.

I like the pushable switch idea, though when Sonic pushes it the sound plays too many times and too quickly. Replay Marble Zone in Sonic 1 and listen to how little the effect plays. Also, if you stop pushing and start moving in the opposite direction of the block, you're stuck moving slow in the pushing animation.

The hintera speach box thing still isn't gone, even after dying twice. Make it disappear?

Sonic jumps really high. You should adjust the camera so it doesn't totally follow him. Have the camera move only when Sonic gets a certain distance from the top and bottom borders of the screen. It's difficult to jump high and not be able to see what you're landing on. Also, toward the end of the level there are a leaps of faith parts. Avoid putting large gaps like that. The player should never think there's nowhere to go and wonder if they'll live if they try leaping in a direction.

The new engine is way better and seems to run more smoothly. Keep it up, I can't wait for an actual demo.

Sonic101, You've improved so much since you're last engine.

*The level design is beautiful, not a dull area in the whole stage.

*The wall jump is well done, congrats on that.

*Lol, Hintera. Nice addition.

*I love the graphics.

*The pushing engine seems stable. Good job with that.

*The game runs great on my laptop. For some reason, alot of GM games run slow on it.

I won't repeat what was wrong since Rael already went through it, but this is overall a nice engine.

I look forward to seeing more.

*The level design is beautiful, not a dull area in the whole stage.

I disagree. Plus, it's just a test.

*I love the graphics.

If you love stretching tiles and muddy textures, then by all means embrace it. However, the background has not risen in quality like the engine has.

*The pushing engine seems stable. Good job with that.

Except for the part where I was running really fast and then was magically inside the block. I'd fix that bug, sonic101.

Otherwise, vast improvement in the engine department, 101. There is still a ways to go, but it's one giant stride in the right direction.

I disagree. Plus, it's just a test.

IMO, the plants and some of the foreground design was nice, and I know it's a test.

attachment.php?attachmentid=314&stc=1&d=1183001032

I don't think I've seen this plant before, so it caught my attention.

attachment.php?attachmentid=315&stc=1&d=1183001032

I like that pattern, as well as some others.

If you love stretching tiles and muddy textures, then by all means embrace it.

I didn't notice anything stretched because I was thinking it was the resolution. *Shrugs*

Except for the part where I was running really fast and then was magically inside the block.

Ah, I didn't encounter that bug.

I don't think I've seen this plant before, so it caught my attention.

Yeah you have.

attachment.php?attachmentid=315&stc=1&d=1183001032

I like that pattern, as well as some others.

sprite58.gif

(http://sonicprime.tripod.com/sprite58.gif)

@Sonic101: If you're going to use that checkerboard, make a cleaner cut out of the Emerald Hill BG that you borrowed it from. The right and bottom sides have a little extra junk on the ends.

I didn't notice anything stretched because I was thinking it was the resolution.

Do you see that grass? Look me in the internet face and tell me it's not stretched.

actually it really isnt, its the resolution of the view that makes it big I havent stretched a single thing yet. the tiles came from damizean not myself. its just taken right off the top of the floating platforms in sonic 2.

heres the sprite sheet itself

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/sonic101/?action=view&current=spritesheet.jpg

and heres a screeny of the editor to show you resolutions and stuff.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/sonic101/?action=view&current=gameeditor.png

other than that, as for the checkerd pattern thing, ya i know theres that extra little chunk the tile set cut thing doesnt allow me to get close enough to grab it the way it should.

Dude...that grass has HUUUUUGE pixels. There's a definite difference between the sprite sheet and what's in game.

(P.S. Your "editor screeny" is so zoomed out that it really doesn't help your case :P)

Zoomed out? thats the exact size it is on my moniter.

"Zoomed out" is a bad wording. My bad...I really don't know how to word it now. xD I mean, like...in GM, not your monitor size. I don't know if you get me or not, but whatevah.

Or maybe it's just the floor sensors (red blocks) inhibiting my view of them.

I could take a screenshot with out the sensers showing if that helps you.