A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The 3D model is a lie.

SefirothDB

See last post kthx

Old 1st post here VVV

Points of interest:

* Pseudo-Retro appearance (shorter, chubbier, black eyes, quill structure)

* New hands! Hopefully these qualify as decent, unlike my last attempts. Too bad the shitty rig screws them.

* Cloth parts (handcuffs, gloves, socks) have a texture applied. It isn't too visible from here because I like my bump maps reasonable, thank you.

* Global Lighting :D

* This one's between 30-40k polys with one smooth iteration for showing purposes. Mesh carefully constructed for looking nice with smoothing off but at the same time making it smooth friendly (the older models were all built around smoothing only).

Oh fuck am I proud of this one. Tried my best to 100% match the CD art, don't think I fully suceeded but screw that, I like the result a lot.

Closeup for texture appreciation bitches.

Points of interest:

* Amateur texture job omg. Textures? In MY models? OUTRAGEOUS. Also decent shaders.

* Correctly shaped head + quills, including the spherical indentation in the back (older versions had just the quills join much like the SA model).

* The upper back of the torso/engine has the two "slots" shown in concept art, although they can't be seen from here.

* Very basic in terms of shapes for the most part, but that's how it appears in the artwork :x Had some liberties with parts not shown in the art, I believe they're excusable.

* Lighting that doesn't completely suck. I can't mention this enough, the fake GL I've got in place helps a lot to hide flaws show the best of the models.

* As with Sonic, all the detail is in the basic mesh. Smoothing is just added for render showcasing. This one's like 57k triangles.

Aight, I'll post any new models I restart here, not worthy of a new thread. Hopefully I won't have to bump a 3 months old topic, god knows I can take my time doing these.

...if I bump this thread 3 months from today I don't get a ban rite?

• Like 2

The sonic.

Omilord. He looks like the secks. My only complaint is your rigging ;D He has straws for arms. He looks very determined aswell.

Metal looks very sleek. Its nice to finally see you putting some, you know, textures on your peices, Sefy. In addition to that, the lighting, and overall design make him quite the sexy beast. Its a wonderful peice of work.

Overall, very nice. My only complain remains with the strawlike arms that sonic has.

*bumps thread three months from today*

Son of a ************* ****

My only beef is what people noted already, Sonic's torso size and the fact that actually loading these models with this quality is probably impossible for like anyone on the boards since they can barely run full-screen mmf2 games. Though it would be awfully sweet to these in a decked out, cutting edge game.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the criticism people. Couldn't reply earlier beacuse my computer time's been dramatically reduced due to University and family issues. Meaning I haven't made as much progress regarding models as I'd like. But anyways...

-

RE: Sonic is fat

Damn right he is. Funny stuff: I used a rather decent reference, practically TRACED the goddamn shapes and somehow turned out fat. So I made him less fat and posted the render.

Aaand he's still overweight ;_; Let's unfat him some more:

Better? Worse?

Any other shape changes needed?

-

RE: Rigging

Can't do anything about it at the moment, haven't had time to practise that. It's a top priority, though.

I'll need a good rig if these meshes are to be put in motion.

-

Filler tiem! :D Messing around with cel shaders

Also a quickie that's to be turned into full model because I like how it came out

Also cat

Here's a scenario I'm working on. It's very uncomplete so no public renders, wireframe instead.

k back to work.

You know... I wonder if he looks fat because of the way the torso is hanging, I wonder if you brought it up some if it would correct the problem.

BTW... Are you using NURBs? I rigged a Sonic model myself however I can't seem to get it looking that smooth and accurate. (I'm also poly modelling)

Well, he's less fat, but, still looks fat.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3158/ova13tv4.jpg

Try this for a reference. I guess he looks fat because of his arms.

Traced the torso vertex by vertex, brough it up:

Any improvement?

Nevermind the glass shoes, I forgot to replace the unfinished material on that file <_<

BTW... Are you using NURBs? I rigged a Sonic model myself however I can't seem to get it looking that smooth and accurate. (I'm also poly modelling)

NURBs? Hell no. I hate those >_>

As a poly modeler my general approach is to use primitives as base then modify them at will - which most of the time involves moving vertexes over and over. It's a tedious process sometimes, especially since I add a shitload of them for the model to turn out smooth lolol

I may add a meshsmooth/turbosmooth/whatever layer at the end, only to add some extra polygons for the final render. Meshes need to be built for that though.

Here's the model without smooth boosters to illustrate my point.

Uh... not entirely sure what kind of response you want, but you're free to hit me up on AIM if there's anything I can do to help you. I'm all for having another person into 3D on my contact list.

Oh, nice avatar too XD

I'm adding you to my contacts as I type this post.

Anyways, the readjusted torso fixed that problem like a charm. Not sure what to do about the arms still, the attachment to the torso seems a bit bizarre still, it might just be the position you have them in. Try making them curve outwards a bit to conform to the stomach's shape.

Zenor: I tried using that one as a reference myself because I wanted to make a sonic model OVA style, the product refused to work with the way the quills are drawn in that one, although I still want to do a highly stylized Sonic with quills lik e that someday... If only they looked half as good in 3D as they do in 2D.

• 4 weeks later...

Hai guys.

Man, I can't ever get a satisfying sonic model. Modified the head a bit (loosely based on the SCD opening) weeks ago, didn't post then now I do.

Still haven't got a decent rigging solution. Haven't had time to look for one though. Anyways, requesting opinions.

Also Eggy <3 <3 <3

Complete with:

• Moustache

• Latex pants

• Cloth textures you can't really see from here

• Materials that are subject to change

• Unrigged pose aka incoming hug of love and friendship

• Like 60k triangles.

I'll rig this one AFTER the requested fixes have been performed. And after I learn how to rig, duh.

Have you ever thought about starting a career in this?
Actually, yes. Lack of skill holding me back though. I need to get much, much better first.
Those models are AMAZING. Sonic still looks really fat, though.

Fatties need love too.

(Seriously, it's gotta be the camera FOV or the lighting or something. Rigging most likely, the arms aren't attached and jointed properly)

• 1 month later...

Umm... bump?

Not a complete model as I'm still working on it but better get the errors fixed while I'm at the building phase.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/SefirothDB/Renders/t1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/SefirothDB/Renders/t2.jpg

Tails' tails (lulz) are placeholder k.

Also I noticed I didn't post the nth sonic fix I made, reworked partly to match Mark's scheme but without losing the... uh... "style" I was trying to achieve. Chances are I screwed it more though. I'll re-render it tomorrow or something.

Opinions on unfinished Tails pls