A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

The 3D model is a lie.

SefirothDB

Too round, in general. Whenever I draw Tails, I think of his body like a pillow - or a sack of potatoes. It kind of "hangs" off his head, sort of. This sounds really weird, I know, but that's always been my mental image.

As for his head... his ears need to be brought forward a bit (maybe just angled foward), I think, towards his eyes. His hairs probably shouldn't be in a straight line, either. Try and distribute them better to the sides so it looks more natural (the Sonic Adventure games did this by making them sprout from a single point on his head, I think - almost like a plant, or something)

Like I said on AIM, the ears don't look proportionate from the front angle (and too round). If you bring the ears forward and angle them inwards it might fix the problem... My guess is your side resource wasn't drawn to perspective, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Heck, I don't think Tails' ears are supposed to twist backwards at all.

Eyes seem too small. Brilliant otherwise.

By eyes you mean the pupils or the whole eye outline?

You forgot it's vagina.
I hope this means we'll be getting sonicxtails clips :3

Sheesh, you impatient people, lemme complete the basic mesh first. Everything at its due time.

Too round, in general. Whenever I draw Tails, I think of his body like a pillow - or a sack of potatoes.
a sack of potatoes
potato

wat

As for his head... his ears need to be brought forward a bit (maybe just angled foward), I think, towards his eyes. His hairs probably shouldn't be in a straight line, either. Try and distribute them better to the sides so it looks more natural (the Sonic Adventure games did this by making them sprout from a single point on his head, I think - almost like a plant, or something)

Noted the ears part. About the hairs, I can't model them twisted over several axii because they'd be a nightmare to rig later on - same reason arms and legs are rigid, so their current status is completely intentional and not permanent.

I shouldn't even have bent them down in the first place but I wanted to check that their length matched my reference.

Like I said on AIM, the ears don't look proportionate from the front angle (and too round). If you bring the ears forward and angle them inwards it might fix the problem... My guess is your side resource wasn't drawn to perspective, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. Heck, I don't think Tails' ears are supposed to twist backwards at all.

Common problem with the source 2D art, rarely matches the proportions from different perspectives, even for a charactrer sheet.

So ears, body shape and the eyes. I'll see what I can do without breaking the figure. Thanks a lot everyone.

Meanwhile, rape this one to pieces:

(head should be pushed to the back, it's fixed now but i couldn't be arsed to rerender. it's also missing the cornea becus i forgot)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Retouched Tails' eye outline but forgot to render and I'm so not restarting max for today. It was such as small modification it's not worth it anyways. The tails... I haven't decide how to do the orange->white transition just yet.

The main problem I have with his Sonic is that his forehead slopes forward. This looks better:

[qimg]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/774/sonicheadjg6.png[/qimg]

do you see what mark did? i totally agree with him.

Actually I don't get it, explanation please? ;_;

The forehead outline has been traced from the reference (which is the Sonic equivalent of that I used for Tails). I dunno, the viewport says all the lines are in their right place. Oh well.

I remade it using the same method as Tails' as requested (read: target match the front ref., freelance on the side to not fuck it up). Here's what I has

123-1.jpg

So unless you guys find some major screw up or have an unrefusable proposal on how to improve it, I'll be keeping this basic mesh. I'd *love* to make it so awesome noone could even complain, but at this rate I'll never move past Sonic and there's a crapload of models that need to be made :<

On the subject of models to do, I looked at the Mecha mesh and oh my god it sucks kill it die monster you don't belong in this world.

But I don't have time to do it now so here's a shader upgrade for lols and candy.

materials.jpg

Note that this style will be completely change when using along the other models since the arts don't match.

And here's what I made for Geona's birthday because he's sexy

GeonaBirthdayMech.jpg

Please appreciate the filters and post processing to hide that fact it has no textures whatsoever.

And that wraps it out for toda

newfoepost.jpg

oh shit

lolpost.jpg

oh shit

dun dun duuuuun

EDIT: I forgot I wanted to say thanks for the +reps, always keep forgetting this forum has the feature (even though it's conveniently placed on that profile thing to the left and mentioned through some threads, go me!). <3

• Like 1

I swear I've seen your artworks at DeviantArt. I never got around to comment all of them, but I'll go ahead and see what you recently made so far.

I remade it using the same method as Tails' as requested (read: target match the front ref., freelance on the side to not fuck it up). Here's what I has

[qimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/SefirothDB/Renders/123-1.jpg[/qimg]

So unless you guys find some major screw up or have an unrefusable proposal on how to improve it, I'll be keeping this basic mesh. I'd *love* to make it so awesome noone could even complain, but at this rate I'll never move past Sonic and there's a crapload of models that need to be made :<

You seriously don't have to improve it if you're okay with how it already turns out. Personally I think either that the body is a little to big, or that the head is a little too small, but that's my opinion.

On the subject of models to do, I looked at the Mecha mesh and oh my god it sucks kill it die monster you don't belong in this world.

But I don't have time to do it now so here's a shader upgrade for lols and candy.

[qimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/SefirothDB/Renders/materials.jpg[/qimg]

Note that this style will be completely change when using along the other models since the arts don't match.

I see that you're attempting to mix the toon shader with the metal shader material, And so far its looks great.

And here's what I made for Geona's birthday because he's sexy

[qimg]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/SefirothDB/Renders/GeonaBirthdayMech.jpg[/qimg]

Please appreciate the filters and post processing to hide that fact it has no textures whatsoever.

Well great job on fooling Geona, it looks like it doesn't need textures to begin with.

Nice Signpost.

Also, did you made all of your models completely out of NURBS or do you use polygons mesh and converted them? Also, which 3D software do you use to make them anyway?

• 1 month later...

Holy fuck I had a thread wait wat this is amazing why noone told me before oh shit

*In b4 super late response that Dr Mecha doesn't care about anymore*

I swear I've seen your artworks at DeviantArt. I never got around to comment all of them, but I'll go ahead and see what you recently made so far.

God I need to get rid of all the utter shit in my DA. I've meant to do this for like 4 months but I'm too lazy to click some butans.

I see that you're attempting to mix the toon shader with the metal shader material, And so far its looks great.

Actually, it's all using the basic metal shader with some tricks :3

Also, did you made all of your models completely out of NURBS or do you use polygons mesh and converted them? Also, which 3D software do you use to make them anyway?

I wouldn't touch NURBS with a ten foot pole sir. Poly mesh editing for life, most the the basic meshes hover around ~10k tris and then I use 1 iteration of MeshSmooth (plus the necessary tweaking so it turns out fine) for extra polish/roundness where needed. 3DS Max.

*In after super late response that Dr Mecha doesn't care about anymore*

Anyways, I'll hopefully be able to put something more substantial that just plain model renders soon. Currently dealing with the scary world of textures :x

Here's a random quickie pic in the meanwhile which may or not be belated due to timezones to justify the bump.

14feblolwi3.jpg

Steven M's was in response to a picture I took. He started the humorous angle to it, but I spawned it.

Strictly speaking, he drew the picture with Shadow hugging the lamp post. It was after I took an in-engine screenshot of Sonic staring at the top of a checkpoint top thing. In response, I had some other picture...