A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

300 is...

Slingerland

I had negative zero (yes seriously) interest in the movie, too. Thought it would just be a bloody mass murder fest on film.

Well, it was, but it was amazing. It really gets you going...got pretty emotional a buncha times. Epic for all the right reasons. Sparta = badass.

I wish history was always this cool.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slinger: Why would I bother to read up on something that doesn't interest me? Or better yet why would I even give the cheesy dialogue the time of day when there are monsters and random other crap in it? I suppose it's cool that they've got some of the real dialogue in there. But it stills sounds a tad cheesy.

Maybe I'll obtain it and watch like.. the first 15-30 minutes to see if it's worth going to the movies over.

I'm not too sure whether I should go to the theathers when it debuts here. Movie surely will be great and all, but I fear the spanish dub will detract from the awesomeness, especially after getting used to the english trailers.

On the other hand, the DVD version while having choice of VA is still far off... and it's not the same as watching it in the cinema. Decisions, decisions ):

Guest Shadix
Shadix: So wait.. we have to automatically like this movie just because of the fact that it's based on like a million things otherwise we're conforming? I watch movies I find interesting and this I do not. Sure, I guess the fights would look cool, even if there's random specularity all over the place that reminds me of a next-gen FPS. It's something that I'd download- not something I'd spend 7 bucks + candy/popcorn and drink on.

"We will blot out the sun with our rain of arrows!

Well, then...we shall fight in the shade."

Ugh, that just screams corny.

nyah. Not quite. You kinda got me backwards. I was pointing out that before you go shunning and disliking it because it's like "OMG Greek\Roman Movie eww", it was based off a comic, which is like, 90% of movies nowadays that get raped to death on here, and that you should at least give it a chance if only because it's a comic adaption.

AKA I was taking a stab at sheepism.

--

More ontopicness: I actually saw the movie, and it has exceeded my expectations even while some of the aspects drew me away. I think they raped the slowdown effect and it almost got annoying after a while of seeing time slow to crawl every 2 seconds.

I wasn't expecting supernatural twists to be a part of this interpretation, and the persians had some freaky ass shiz (Like that giant thing that reminded me of a Warcraft Abomination or the giant Troll slave.)

I do know however that battle, while they did die, did not end in a quick surrender and death. There was actually some drawn out fighting and Leonidas died pretty early on the final day before the final shower of arrows that ended it. It would've been nice if they had drawn it out to the point where they would've been fighting with their hands and teeth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae

---

Also, according to my Dad, if it weren't for this time-stalling battle while they tried to get the rest of the Spartan Army to go attack them, Western Civilization as we know it may not have existed the way it does now. This battle was supposedly a crucial turning point in taking out the Persian Empire.