A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

300 is...

Slingerland

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Says the person who wants me to see it "if only because it's a comic adaption" because it's "like, 90% of movies nowadays." Honestly, just shut the hell up and think before you open your damned mouth. Not once did I ever fucking say anything along the lines of "OMG Greek\Roman Movie eww." Also, if you payed any sort of attention to the movie and the fact that after Leonidas died the guy with the missing eye led a massive army into battle you'd of probably realized that for yourself. And for the record, using "sheep" to refer to people who conform is quite popular now, congratulations on conforming to the idea of non-conforming. Get off my stick.

For the record I did see the movie, last night actually at 10:10PM. The trailers that are out don't actually do the movie any justice, imho. With that being said although I enjoyed the movie, it wasn't nearly as great as half of you all made it out to be. Without having researched this topic in anyway, although apparently Shadix is a great example of how that wouldn't of helped anyway, I was able to figure a handful of which people would die very early on in the movie. That's not to say certain things didn't surprise me such as the fact that one dude ended up being a traitor, but for the most part it all seemed incredibly paper-thin. For instance,

I went with a group of friends and there are those two young guys in the movie, one of which is the son of Laidus's(sp?) friend. While I was somewhat wrong in expecting both of them to die, I actually pissed off some of the people in the movie theater because when his father got his attention I yelled "Dude! You just took his attention away, I bet he dies now." Three seconds later, horse comes charging from the mist, lopping off the guy's head and giving everyone around me the impression I had already seen the movie and eliciting quite a few "shut the hell up"s. It was also very apparent, from the first time that "god-king" stepped off his thrown that the climax would involve him being injured. Granted, I figured he would be killed, but it still lessened the effect when Laidus(sp?) threw the spear at him and drew blood because I had been expecting it for an hour. About the only part that really caught me by surprise was when Laidus faked like he was going to give in and fell to his knees. However, even that was shattered within seconds by the fact that his "300 men" (of which there were now only around 295 given that at least 5 people had been shown falling to the enemy beforehand) were still in formation.

While I'm not going to lie and say I hated this movie, I am going to say that it isn't exactly the best thing I've ever seen. I will say however, that the art direction was impressive. The only thing that bugged me with that were the pixels that kept dancing around on the faces of the actors. Which is an extremely small complaint. I actually liked the slow-mo sex scene because it showed passion without being anywhere near too vulgar. I also liked the use of the slow-mo scenes during the battle scenes because, if you payed actual attention rather than just going "wait.. slow-mo again, wtf?" you'd noticed that, at least during battle scenes, the slow-mo punctuated the sense of brotherhood the Spartan warriors had and showed great teamwork. As Laidus would charge forward, he wouldn't be able to instantly kill everyone and some would simply be knocked over my a charge with his shield, and some would only lose an arm but with the slow-mo you'd be able to notice that a Spartan would quickly come up behind him and stab a guy who was about to stand back up or attempt to grab a weapon. Another example is when the two young friends were fighting and the slow-mo went to great efforts to show that they were in perfect synch sometimes stabbing an enemy in the exact same spot and the exact same time, before twisting around to block a shot the other had not seen coming. However, the one time it felt wierd was when Laidus was climbing up the rocks to see the Oracle-dudes and they slow-mo'd the jump. I know it was supposed to like.. punctuate how high his jump was and all but it just.. I dunno it seemed to... "showy" or something.

All in all, it really was a great movie. Right up there with the Matrix in terms of style and flair, and the story was really good even if certain events seemed a bit too predictable. That and given all the hype you guys were throwing around.. I expected more. Had I not seen this topic at all I'd probably have liked it a lot more.

SG: Eh, actually you guys added quite a few lines of dialogue into those lines that wasn't present in the movie. And with those few extra words, it sounds quite a bit cheesier than it actually did in the movie. Which would be the fault of you guys for not bothering to get the lines right and screwing them up, not Rael's or mine. Probably should of checked up on that.

SG: Eh, actually you guys added quite a few lines of dialogue into those lines that wasn't present in the movie. And with those few extra words, it sounds quite a bit cheesier than it actually did in the movie. Which would be the fault of you guys for not bothering to get the lines right and screwing them up, not Rael's or mine. Probably should of checked up on that.

Meh I didn't add any lines ;D.

I saw it again last night, and you know what, i thought I was the only one that was bothered by that pixelly effect going on to everyones faces.

For some reason, I think Leonidus is even more of a badass if he was only aiming to make the god king bleed, cause you know, he told him even a god king could bleed. If he did that KNOWING that their army would actually assemble at the end, it just makes him the toughest mofo around.

Sorry Ducky, if you really read the history, you would know that they had 900 men fighting with them. It wasn't "the 300 spartans" it was "the 300 spartans and their 900 buddies".

Granted the 900 were mostly slave handlers and stuff like that, not experienced at all so they died almost right away. But there wasn't only 300 right off the bat in the real story.

You sissies are the most over analytical panzies I have ever seen. Wanna know why movies suck? Because you ruin them FOR YOURSELVES. You somehow have to always predict wtf is going on. It's so much of a big penis contest with YOURSELF that you get lost in your ___gotry and you stop enjoying the movie itself. For once, shut your fucking brain up and watch the movie.

Guest Shadix
Says the person who wants me to see it "if only because it's a comic adaption" because it's "like, 90% of movies nowadays." Honestly, just shut the hell up and think before you open your damned mouth. Not once did I ever fucking say anything along the lines of "OMG Greek\Roman Movie eww." Also, if you payed any sort of attention to the movie and the fact that after Leonidas died the guy with the missing eye led a massive army into battle you'd of probably realized that for yourself. And for the record, using "sheep" to refer to people who conform is quite popular now, congratulations on conforming to the idea of non-conforming. Get off my stick.

For the record I did see the movie, last night actually at 10:10PM. The trailers that are out don't actually do the movie any justice, imho. With that being said although I enjoyed the movie, it wasn't nearly as great as half of you all made it out to be. Without having researched this topic in anyway, although apparently Shadix is a great example of how that wouldn't of helped anyway, I was able to figure a handful of which people would die very early on in the movie. That's not to say certain things didn't surprise me such as the fact that one dude ended up being a traitor, but for the most part it all seemed incredibly paper-thin. For instance,

I went with a group of friends and there are those two young guys in the movie, one of which is the son of Laidus's(sp?) friend. While I was somewhat wrong in expecting both of them to die, I actually pissed off some of the people in the movie theater because when his father got his attention I yelled "Dude! You just took his attention away, I bet he dies now." Three seconds later, horse comes charging from the mist, lopping off the guy's head and giving everyone around me the impression I had already seen the movie and eliciting quite a few "shut the hell up"s. It was also very apparent, from the first time that "god-king" stepped off his thrown that the climax would involve him being injured. Granted, I figured he would be killed, but it still lessened the effect when Laidus(sp?) threw the spear at him and drew blood because I had been expecting it for an hour. About the only part that really caught me by surprise was when Laidus faked like he was going to give in and fell to his knees. However, even that was shattered within seconds by the fact that his "300 men" (of which there were now only around 295 given that at least 5 people had been shown falling to the enemy beforehand) were still in formation.

While I'm not going to lie and say I hated this movie, I am going to say that it isn't exactly the best thing I've ever seen. I will say however, that the art direction was impressive. The only thing that bugged me with that were the pixels that kept dancing around on the faces of the actors. Which is an extremely small complaint. I actually liked the slow-mo sex scene because it showed passion without being anywhere near too vulgar. I also liked the use of the slow-mo scenes during the battle scenes because, if you payed actual attention rather than just going "wait.. slow-mo again, wtf?" you'd noticed that, at least during battle scenes, the slow-mo punctuated the sense of brotherhood the Spartan warriors had and showed great teamwork. As Laidus would charge forward, he wouldn't be able to instantly kill everyone and some would simply be knocked over my a charge with his shield, and some would only lose an arm but with the slow-mo you'd be able to notice that a Spartan would quickly come up behind him and stab a guy who was about to stand back up or attempt to grab a weapon. Another example is when the two young friends were fighting and the slow-mo went to great efforts to show that they were in perfect synch sometimes stabbing an enemy in the exact same spot and the exact same time, before twisting around to block a shot the other had not seen coming. However, the one time it felt wierd was when Laidus was climbing up the rocks to see the Oracle-dudes and they slow-mo'd the jump. I know it was supposed to like.. punctuate how high his jump was and all but it just.. I dunno it seemed to... "showy" or something.

All in all, it really was a great movie. Right up there with the Matrix in terms of style and flair, and the story was really good even if certain events seemed a bit too predictable. That and given all the hype you guys were throwing around.. I expected more. Had I not seen this topic at all I'd probably have liked it a lot more.

woop-te-doop. Way to make an ass out yourself and turn something mild into something large (VERY LONG).

Congrats on seeing the movie, NOW you are entitled to your opinions of it. :D

Shadix: Me look like an ass? I'm not the one who copied a huge ass quote for about 3 sentences. Only the first paragraph of my post was even directed towards you. The rest was simply my opinion on the movie and various reasons why I held that opinion. Basically, it's the same thing other people have done in this topic. Only I'm "wrong" because I disagree with you, no?

Shadix: Me look like an ass? I'm not the one who copied a huge ass quote for about 3 sentences. Only the first paragraph of my post was even directed towards you. The rest was simply my opinion on the movie and various reasons why I held that opinion. Basically, it's the same thing other people have done in this topic. Only I'm "wrong" because I disagree with you, no?

You gotta admit though, thats one enormous ass post.

Guest Shadix

You should be glad I even bothered to read that 3 page long pile of crap rant of yours sheerly for the purpose of making a martyr out of yourself.

I beg to differ about only the first paragraph being directed towards me, don't go twisting things around hoping I didn't read the whole thing. You were still embedding quotes and making an "example" of me well into the middle of the that crap, and if there was indeed a shift in directness in your post, then your post was unorganized.

It's also funny how you continued to make an ass out of yourself even in the theater with your friends, showing your complete refusal to give the movie a chance and taking the critic route, which makes movies very hard to enjoy. (If I ever get stuck in that state of mind watching a movie it's almost impossible to enjoy it.)

---

ON TEH TOPIC AGAIN:

It was funny when he was talking to Xerxes and they decided to put a little comic relief in.

"AND WHAT OF YOUR WOMEN"

"You obviously don't know our Women. I should've marched THEM up here if that is all your soldiers can offer." (paraquote, I don't remember exactly what they say)

"You should be glad I even bothered to read that 3 page long pile of crap rant of yours..."

"...showing your complete refusal to give the movie a chance and taking the critic route, which makes movies very hard to enjoy."

Apparently you didn't bother to read much, as I've said about 3 times now that I actually liked the movie and that it was a lot better than I had anticipated. I liked the art direction, save for the pixelies, the way they did some of the fight scenes (with the slow-to-fast-mo), and various other things. How do you completely miss me saying I liked the movie?