A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshot thread

ila

Haha, looks nice, but the screen is a bit large for Sonic's size.

Also, the ground tiles aren't aligned, it looks weird.

Yes I know they're not aligned properly, I've been working on the engine mostly so I didn't really pay much attention to wether the tiles are symetrical or not. As for the screen size that's the smallest TGF has. I was thinking about using the enlarged spa sprite but it looks a little weird and blocky. I'm still not sure wether or not I should be using the spa sprite since it might be hard to find backgrounds to match. I was thinking the game gear backgrounds might work?

Best thing to come to this thread in a while. Though it's hard to pitch a demo against a screenshot anyway.

Amazing. I think this is my favorite game of yours I've played, it's very unique. The unique gameplay calls for unique level design though. Flying around with the gun or bouncing off/woodpeckering* up walls could make things easy. You'll need to find some way to get around that. I've never played a platformer like this, it has great potential. Repped.

*fuckin awesome by the way

Steven, that was the most badass thing I have played in a long time. The art style is incredible (though I'd expect nothing less from you). Great job and I can't wait to see future releases. Rep'd.

Hey, thanks. The art still needs a lot of tweaking (some backdrops look out of place in the second level) but its good to go.

Amazing. I think this is my favorite game of yours I've played, it's very unique. The unique gameplay calls for unique level design though. Flying around with the gun or bouncing off/woodpeckering* up walls could make things easy. You'll need to find some way to get around that. I've never played a platformer like this, it has great potential. Repped.

Glad you enjoyed, and I agree - the level design's going to need a lot of seriously brainstorming, not just for taking advantage of the walljumping but also to keep 'flow' within the game (taking buzzwords from DW, lol). I'll see how that goes.

it seems something more suited to mega man, what with the wall jumping and shooting

True, that. You can get walljumping in Chaotix as well, and there's a few minigames and tutorials that use walljumping too, but hopefully this game will have its own style to stand out.

i like the way firing downwards gives you a boost

Cave Story did it. =3

although its quite spammable in this build, effectively a jetpack.

To be fair that's the point of it, since its not always possible to jump off backdrops and avoid spikes.

So, we've implemented a Environment-Mapped Bump Mapping system. This means we can do refractions and other sort of distortions like in realtime by just simply creating a normal-map texture and apply it to any sort of geometry =D

In this case you see it implemented for water.

embmrefractiongk6.jpg

embmrefraction2rd8.jpg

Oh, 56kb warning.