A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshot thread

ila

What's it matter what we're making the games in, though? If you can play it, should anyone care if it was made in MMF2, or GM, or coded using Microsoft Visual Studio?

Microsoft has even launched the XNA Game Studio, which appears to have a drag-and-drop interface similar to programs like MMF2, with the intent on opening up Xbox 360 and PC game development to indie game designers.

The only real problem we face using easy-game-creators like MMF is, while we can generally do a lot with it, performance becomes a big issue when you're trying to make a level that's 19000x6000 with 600 objects, five layers of parallax and alpha blending effects.

They're is a difference on how its coded, if its coded in a language its portable, so it could be released on different platforms, when its programmed in MMF it can only be played on Windows.

Asides from that...

I love how it looks, the lights may be too bright but I like the brightness but not on every light. The top of the snow looks too flat, and an idea that if you fly into a tree or jump in it that snow drops from the branches.

They're is a difference on how its coded, if its coded in a language its portable, so it could be released on different platforms, when its programmed in MMF it can only be played on Windows.

Asides from that...

I love how it looks, the lights may be too bright but I like the brightness but not on every light. The top of the snow looks too flat, and an idea that if you fly into a tree or jump in it that snow drops from the branches.

The same thing can be applied for console games, you know. If they're coded for GBA, they can only be played on a GBA; unless you used an emulator. Wich also exist emulators of x86...

P.S. The parallax layers shouldn't be much trouble after the engine I made :E

Well mostly when I said that, I said it because his game looks so good, like he could make a sonic advance game for Sega, because it resembled the advance series, but it looks so much better. Not saying that we are better than Sega though.

EDIT: Basically it was a compliment on his project.

The same thing can be applied for console games, you know. If they're coded for GBA, they can only be played on a GBA; unless you used an emulator. Wich also exist emulators of x86...

P.S. The parallax layers shouldn't be much trouble after the engine I made :E

Parallax is a problem when one of the layers is alpha blended and another uses additive blending. :P

What's it matter what we're making the games in, though? If you can play it, should anyone care if it was made in MMF2, or GM, or coded using Microsoft Visual Studio?

Seeing as I actually want to get into the industry, I'm hesistant to believe that major devs don't (or more importantly, shouldn't) care about that sort of thing.

Seeing as I actually want to get into the industry, I'm hesistant to believe that major devs don't (or more importantly, shouldn't) care about that sort of thing.

Again, if your game is playable, why should it matter? You can't apply for a job as, you know, a coder, with just "MULTIMEDIA FUSION SCRIPTING LANGUAGE EXPERIENCE" as your only reference.

But as a game designer? As long as you have a game that is playable, something to show your ideas, they shouldn't actually give a crap what it's coded it. You could write it in QBasic and as long as it showed your concept well enough, you'd probably be fine.

Ching! <_<

Unless you want to go to the AAA market, GM, MMF and such programs are a viable way to make your games and even publish them. As for example, Easter Avenger got various oferts to be published, has won various awards and crap like that, and the game is only made on GM...

On a second matter:

azurelakebisfc9.gif

Scaled2X for viewing purposses.

http://blazemp3.sepwich.com/VERYTEMP/wa_act1.avi (Xvid video, MP3 audio)

Action Video. MMF2 actually lets me cheat a bit... the framerate (because of all the effects) was so crap... but I used MMF2's ability to lock the framerate to bring it down to 1/4th the normal framerate. Then, I recorded a video, and sped the video up.

Looks nice and smooth!