A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshot thread

ila

Be realistic, though, DW. I only have 10 days until Christmas Eve. Just tweaking and updating the engine's effects and stuff to MMF2 is going to take me probably until tomorrow, and then I've got quite a few custom graphics I'm gonna have to make just for White Acropolis.

Sonic 2k6 bosses are HUGE in scale. It would take two weeks or more just to sprite Egg-Cerberus, and Sonic doesn't fight any bosses in Kingdom Valley OR White Acropolis anyway.

Sorry, but no.

It's not sonic, and it's not exactly new either. But it was a pain to convert the model to a proper format and get it working, so nyah. :P

Thiswarpdriveworks.jpg

A friend wanted the Pyro GX from Descent to play as in Evochron Alliance, and since I new a perfect and freely available (yet very messed up in many aspects) model from the defunct Descent 4 project that was given to the fans as a gift.

The reasons it was hell to do?

1. the model was in a .hog file for Descent 3, and exporting to 3DS was not exactly simple without using alot of utilities.

2. the ship used about 10-12 different texture files for the entire craft. this meant not only getting the texture into one file, but also completely rearranging the mass of UVmaps, which had to be thoroughly tweaked to align correctly again. parts even needed me to do more than simple scaling and placing.

3. the model itself had quite a few graphical glitches that annoyed me. most were negligable, with exception for a part of the front of the ship where the model was obviously rushed and had holes in it's mesh. two very big ones too.

4. during export, the alignment of the parts went staight to hell, everything trying to center on the axis. this of course meant I had to put everything back in the place it was supposed to be.

and after all that, it was well worth it to see the Pyro GX fly off from the planet New Hope in fulcrum drive. :P

whiteacropoliske7.png

A mock-up. Sort of. I added Sonic, the snow, rings, spotlights, and cloudy fog on top of a real (but very, very, very, very WIP) screenshot of the level.

It should look more or less like that as the final product, but with a real background, of course. Everything I did in that mock screenshot I did while keeping in mind what MMF2 can do, and I tried to keep it within a certain limit, so yeah.

Dunno if I'll keep the fog, though...

if you mean the "6 degrees of movement" game where you fight loads of crazy mining robots, then you would be correct. That's only Descent series I know about anyway. :P

Yeah, I was thinking that it was for another system because the pyro GX's graphics looks more advanced like PC or PS2 etc.

@Blaze: Keep the fog, it really brings out that snow level stage, great work.

Yeah, I was thinking that it was for another system because the pyro GX's graphics looks more advanced like PC or PS2 etc.

The model came from what was going to be Descent 4, but because of the massive copyright needs to even get the project going, they more or less gave up. however, the team left their Pyro GX model to the fans as a gift of some sort. They built the model to run in Descent 3, and released it as a custom ship to play as. (the game supports huge modability just like the Predecessors on PC did.)

However, that screenshot is from Evochron Alliance, a free range space sim game the controls a bit like Freespace. it just kinda nice having the Pyro to run around with though. :P

Heh, that engine is not yours, it's Clwe's, which you can download here:

http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=5172

Please don't rip off other people's work without giving credit.

It's also a bit buggy.

Whoa whoa whoa! I never said that the engine was mine, if you read page 2 of this thread, you will see that I've already mentioned that it was his engine and I said it was good. I think you owe me an apology because I took that very offensively.

EDIT: I know it's alittle buggy, I've just finished inserting the sprites and now working on the Tomb Raider perspective of the engine, guns pick-up's etc.

Oh, I see, and I am sorry. I only watched the video and read your post, and from the way you said that you have almost finished the engine I guess I jumped to conclusions.

Aside from all that, it's looking good. You may want to edit Clwe's engine because it isn't true isometric, really it should be 2,1 not 2,2 scale for the tiles. Oh, and the shooting looks good as well.

Oh, I see, and I am sorry. I only watched the video and read your post, and from the way you said that you have almost finished the engine I guess I jumped to conclusions.

Aside from all that, it's looking good. You may want to edit Clwe's engine because it isn't true isometric, really it should be 2,1 not 2,2 scale for the tiles. Oh, and the shooting looks good as well.

Thanks for the comments. I'll get right on that.

It's alright:cool: , I really meant the things I've added on the engine, No hard feelings man, I would never rip off someone else's work, as a matter of fact, (De-railing the topic for a bit) I'm trying to stop blazefire from claiming someone else's work, Sonic Adventure Remix, It came to my attention when Louis from SCD posted at Pixeltendo about it, (I joined to submit some of my sprites.) I've had posted the link to another website (Caiman games) where blazefire has posted the game there and I'm in the process of trying to take it down, but the admins said I needed more proof of this.:(

There's also the problem where it doesn't always position you in front or back correctly.

It's looking pretty good, though imo the shotgun ought to use up more ammo. I also believe the hot spot for the picking up animation isn't correct compared to the normal standing and walking animatons.

Looks awesome, Blaze. Although, I'd really like to know how these type of effects are possible in MMF:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/MarkEchidna/starpost.png

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7158/whiteacropoliske7.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/MarkEchidna/silver-early-tests.jpg

I'm guessing it's just alpha transparency in the like. Man, I really wish I had spare time to mess around in TGF. Also, is the bit about you working on TFH in your sig a joke?

Answer #1: MMF2 supports Alpha Blending as well as Additive and Subtractive blending. Additive blending is good for objects that are giving off light (spotlights, etc.) Subtractive blending is the opposite: Good for objects that darken other objects (shadows). Alpha blending is good for effects like fog. TGF/CnC/MMF1.5 support effects similar to additive and subtractive blending; OR and AND ink types. The difference is, Additive and Subtractive don't have that nasty color distortion you typically get from OR/AND.

Answer #2: The floor tiles are a palette hack of Ice Mountain tiles from Sonic Advance. The scaffholding is from Egg Rocket (also palette tweaked). The fence and pine trees were hand-sprited by me.

There's also the problem where it doesn't always position you in front or back correctly.

It's looking pretty good, though imo the shotgun ought to use up more ammo. I also believe the hot spot for the picking up animation isn't correct compared to the normal standing and walking animatons.

Thanks LarkSS, to be technical though, the "Shotgun" is actually the Magnum's, your most powerful weapon when playing this, and yes I see what you mean when lara picks up an item, I hate those damn hotspots, I've tried to fix it but there's no way around, DizzyDoo or anybody, how would I go about changing the scale of the tiles? You said it should be a 2,1 instead of 2,2 and I'm not very familair with this engine.

Basically he just means to make the height half the size.

@Blaze: About the And/OR effects, I've noticed that some people can get it to work right without the nasty color effect by sticking to a certain palette. Would you happen to know anything about that?

@Scatta: Blaze didn't mention alpha transparency, but probably because the other effects pretty much replace it. Alpha transparency gives each color palette a different transparency based on its luminosity. It can accomplish those same effects, though for blending them together it may not come out as smooth.

Raaaar I feel like posting this. Even though the screenshots are relatively old. It's not much, and progress is slow. I dunno how many people here care about/know what Phoenix Wright is.

casegeneratortitleqb8.png

Title screen fun ~

saverf0.png

Apparently working save game system. Apparently.

miajq0.png

Custom Sprites with a very inefficient, but working, animation system.

doubleroomfu7.png

Moving between 2 sides of a double-length room. Amazingly complex isn't it? :rolleyes:

Oh yeh this reads from a text file so people can make their own one without MMF2. That's what the list object on the last 2 screens is for.