A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Oh okay, I see what you mean. All this color stuff is just confusing to me... I'm honestly surprised I'm pretty decent at spiriting. Speaking of which... I started making a new Sonic sprite today, and I'm not sure if I should finish it and make a sheet or not yet. (and use it in my game)

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/7YBkvBp.png[/qimg]

Tell me what you think

In my opinion, you should try to finish that, it looks pretty cool so far :D

Took another shot at creating Level Tiles. Shadows, Brick variations and props will be added later

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/18hGYJC.png[/qimg]

Feedback/criticism on what to improve?

Other than shadows and brick variations,I think the grass looks too flat. Try making it a little bigger and more varied. (adding different shades of green,or making more defined grass strands) Also you could try adding some highlights on the bricks to make them look more three dimensional.

It actually looks good, but just a bit flat and needs more variation. :)

Took another shot at creating Level Tiles. Shadows, Brick variations and props will be added later

Pretty much everything Jettezu has said is what I would say. But maybe you could add a crack or two in the bricks somewhere. Also the upper half of the loop-de-loop bugs me for some reason but I can't put my finger on it...

One more thing, with all the jagged slopes, try adding some slopes at where the slope changes to smooth things out. I dunno how all the jagged-ness would work with the engine, but I think it might cause problems that some filleting would solve.

Otherwise I do like what's going on with this!

It reminds me of Super Mario World's environments.

I do not like Super Mario World's environments because they're pretty much the same tiles with different colors.

But in all seriousness, you should make that grass POP! It's flat and looks like it's painted onto the bricks.

I actually got someone to do some songs for my fan-game.

Here they are!

(Zone 2)Crystal City Zone Act 1: "City Level"

https://soundcloud.com/qubedsteak/universal-smile

(Zone ???)Eternal Elevator Act 3 "Under construction tower in the sky"

https://soundcloud.com/qubedsteak/deep-sea-midnights-of-hot

He would really appreciate some feedback,thank you.

I actually got someone to do some songs for my fan-game.

Here they are!

(Zone 2)Crystal City Zone Act 1: "City Level"

https://soundcloud.com/qubedsteak/universal-smile

(Zone ???)Eternal Elevator Act 3 "Under construction tower in the sky"

https://soundcloud.com/qubedsteak/deep-sea-midnights-of-hot

He would really appreciate some feedback,thank you.

I like it! In my opinion, it doesn't sound too much like a genesis game would, but I feel like if you make the levels right, you can make them very fitting while still keeping the genesis feel. It needs some more 16-bit sounds and rhythms in there, like the "Genesis Snare." Stereopixel is currently making a soundtrack for me, and it's really cool. But I don't think I can really show anything he's done for me so far without his permission. I've been getting to know him on a personal basis via Skype, and he's really cool. I recommend checking out some of his songs if you haven't already.

I like it! In my opinion, it doesn't sound too much like a genesis game would, but I feel like if you make the levels right, you can make them very fitting while still keeping the genesis feel. It needs some more 16-bit sounds and rhythms in there, like the "Genesis Snare." Stereopixel is currently making a soundtrack for me, and it's really cool. But I don't think I can really show anything he's done for me so far without his permission. I've been getting to know him on a personal basis via Skype, and he's really cool. I recommend checking out some of his songs if you haven't already.

Besides the fact that this game is a Sonic 1 prequel, i'm not aiming for a genesis/retro feel at all, well, maybe just a little. I'm trying to use modern-like music for the game instead of your typical Genesis tunes. Of course, i'm doing some Genesis remixes of obscure themes, like Carnival Night PC ver. For at least one act per zone, in other words, one genesis song per zone.

QubedSteak is making some Modern songs,and i'm making Genesis like music, believe me, i think i know what i'm doing.

EDIT: Your game's name is now Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis? Just like the crappy Gameboy Advance port? Didn't mean to sound rude.

Even though you're trying to make modern songs for this game I don't think you can just make a normal electronic type track that repeats a part of the tune for two minutes without barely changing at all and drop it in a sonic level, I don't think you or the guy who made these have really thought about how the player will feel hearing the same thing over and over in a sonic level, it's very repetitive.

What he's done sounds good, but they should be condensed and be smaller parts of the songs, and the songs in general should have a lot more melody imo.

Besides the fact that this game is a Sonic 1 prequel, i'm not aiming for a genesis/retro feel at all, well, maybe just a little. I'm trying to use modern-like music for the game instead of your typical Genesis tunes. Of course, i'm doing some Genesis remixes of obscure themes, like Carnival Night PC ver. For at least one act per zone, in other words, one genesis song per zone.

QubedSteak is making some Modern songs,and i'm making Genesis like music, believe me, i think i know what i'm doing.

EDIT: Your game's name is now Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis? Just like the crappy Gameboy Advance port? Didn't mean to sound rude.

Dangit! I was hoping nobody would notice that! I had thought about this almost right after I had finished it, (hoping no one would notice) and decided I would call it Sonic the Hedgehog: The Genesis. But, I had a bunch of homework, (I'm on spring break at my dads) and didn't have time to implement the name change. Speaking of which, I have to go finish my book...

Even though you're trying to make modern songs for this game I don't think you can just make a normal electronic type track that repeats a part of the tune for two minutes without barely changing at all and drop it in a sonic level, I don't think you or the guy who made these have really thought about how the player will feel hearing the same thing over and over in a sonic level, it's very repetitive.

What he's done sounds good, but they should be condensed and be smaller parts of the songs, and the songs in general should have a lot more melody imo.

He is aware if this. These songs are not final, it's just a taste of what the final product will be :) . If these were the final product, i would tell you guys, do not worry.

EDIT: here's Caliente Carnival Zone Act 3,it's a Genesis remix.

https://soundcloud.com/jassbec/caliente-carnival-zone-act-1

Dangit! I was hoping nobody would notice that! I had thought about this almost right after I had finished it, (hoping no one would notice) and decided I would call it Sonic the Hedgehog: The Genesis. But, I had a bunch of homework, (I'm on spring break at my dads) and didn't have time to implement the name change. Speaking of which, I have to go finish my book...

You seriously thought nobody on a SONIC fan-forum would notice that you happened to name your fan-game after one of the worst Sonic 1 ports of all time, if not the worst!?

Granted, the name makes sense, considering your game's supposed to be explaining where Sonic came from and all. Perhaps something like "Sonic Origins" or something would work? Just naming it "The Genesis" is a little too similar to flat out "Genesis", and people could get confused.

You seriously thought nobody on a SONIC fan-forum would notice that you happened to name your fan-game after one of the worst Sonic 1 ports of all time, if not the worst!?

Granted, the name makes sense, considering your game's supposed to be explaining where Sonic came from and all. Perhaps something like "Sonic Origins" or something would work? Just naming it "The Genesis" is a little too similar to flat out "Genesis", and people could get confused.

Yes, I was honestly hoping that nobody would notice. That port was so bad that I didn't remember it, so I was hoping nobody else would either. But I knew I had no hope judging the fact that this is a forum for sonic fangaming... Whatever XD

Edit: I forgot to add, I hate any game with the name "Origins" in it. It just sounds to far back and to detailed, and I stay away from any game that has the word "Origins" in it. Plus, if it was called origins, I would feel like I would have to explain all the other characters pasts and how they met up with each other. Sonic BTS does most of this this tails, and sonic 3 does most of this with knuckles. They just don't explain their pasts.

Yes, I was honestly hoping that nobody would notice. That port was so bad that I didn't remember it, so I was hoping nobody else would either. But I knew I had no hope judging this I a forum for sonic fangaming... Whatever XD

Edit: I forgot to add, I hate any game with the name "Origins" in it. It just sounds to far back and to detailed, and I stay away from any game that has the word "Origins" in it. Plus, if it was called origins, I would feel like I would have to explain all the other characters pasts and how they met up with each other. Sonic BTS does most of this this tails, and sonic 3 does most of this with knuckles. They just don't explain their pasts.

IMO, as long as it's not as bad as the real Sonic Genesis, which I know it won't be, then I don't see what everyone's problem is.

I'm willing to forget the real one in favour of this, aren't you?

Good, I'm glad everyone is on my side here. Everyone else wants to avoid confusion, I want to avoid confusion. Everyone agrees that port was bad, I agree that that port was bad. Everyone agrees (well, they should) that even if my game did have the same name as the port, we would just forget the port and say mine is better. In conclusion, my game is called Sonic the Hedgehog: the Genesis because it is the beginning of Sonic, which is what genesis means, and it's also a little pun in terms of the Sega Genesis. Case closed, we're done here. (thank you TailsSena, I agree with you totally)

Sorry if that came off as rude to anyone, and sorry if that made no sense I kinda suck at explaining things. (especially how I feel)