A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

Oh come on, you don't have to do that. From the screenshots I've seen, it looks pretty awesome. I want you to finish it because I want to play it.

Yeah, i was joking. Let's get that Fangame mud fight started :P

Story wise, my game is extremely different than yours, taking place in...

*drumroll*

Christmas Island! (You all know what 'm talking about)

The game's story is pretty lighthearted and simple, but with some spices there and there.

And there is going to be some sort of easter egg hidden within every act, i might make an unlock system based around it.

But enough about this,i'm not making a giant post about my game :P

Woo, now we're getting somewhere!

I like the title card, but I think the lives icon looked better as it was. The background's sky doesn't really match the foreground or the background's buildings. They all have a pallet that's set up for a night-time setting, not a day-time setting.

My suggestion would be to either change the color of the buildings or lighten them up a bit, and then brighten up the foreground artwork to suit the day-time setting. (Or you could just set the level at night-time.)

Woo, now we're getting somewhere!

I like the title card, but I think the lives icon looked better as it was. The background's sky doesn't really match the foreground or the background's buildings. They all have a pallet that's set up for a night-time setting, not a day-time setting.

My suggestion would be to either change the color of the buildings or lighten them up a bit, and then brighten up the foreground artwork to suit the day-time setting. (Or you could just set the level at night-time.)

Thanks for the advice! I haven't 100% decided on the lives icon, I just wanted something different from your typical Sonic game. I know your talking about the recolored one, but I changed it to match the title screen colors. (which is weird because I'm colorblind) The background. As you probably know, I don't have internet at my mom's, and that's all the backgrounds I had, so after many failed attempts of creating parallax, I just stuck with what I had. In fact, the top, thick layer of clouds is "unparallaxed." (I guess you could call it) I got tired of messing up the parallax, and when I finally mastered it, I just left it. I have yet to fix it.

Well, I hate to this, but I'm going to do something totally off topic of this thread... I got ripped on because of it on my first post, but I'm going to do it again... I couldn't find a thread that had to do with mmf2 problems, or something similar. But... I'm having trouble with sound... There is none. It was all working just fine until a couple days ago, and suddenly the sound just stopped working on mmf2 when I booted it up. It wasn't just my game because all the mmf2 demos sounds weren't working either. So yea. And one quick little noob-like question... I have absolutely no idea how to make a second level... I'm pretty sure you have to make a new frame and all... But I have now idea how to just, do anything with it, to get the HUD, blah blah, I think you get the point... Please don't make fun of me, I just want a serious answer. Actually... Make fun me all you want, the result will probably be hysterically ragey. I that is even a word...

Sorry for posting 3 times in a row. Overbound recommended combing posts, so I'm gonna guess he means just edit the first one. But I dunno, I'll find out and do it next time.

rTD76zL.png

The best springjump animation I've ever seen in any sonic game in my opinion.

nxOtIXi.png

I wanted a different falling animation from the typical "fan game fall" as I call it... You know.. The one where Sonic jumps of the screen if you stand idle for 3 minutes in Sonic CD? I have no idea if you understood that or not, but whatever.

vyVJIPU.png

Something I've always wanted to see in a Sonic game...

R4vVGo1.png

Lastly, a picture of sonic falling to his death while displaying the brake animation.

Sorry for posting 3 times in a row. Overbound recommended combing posts, so I'm gonna guess he means just edit the first one. But I dunno, I'll find out and do it next time.

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/rTD76zL.png[/qimg]

The best springjump animation I've ever seen in any sonic game in my opinion.

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/nxOtIXi.png[/qimg]

I wanted a different falling animation from the typical "fan game fall" as I call it... You know.. The one where Sonic jumps of the screen if you stand idle for 3 minutes? I have no idea if you understood that or not, but whatever.

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/vyVJIPU.png[/qimg]

Something I've always wanted to see in a Sonic game...

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/R4vVGo1.png[/qimg]

Lastly, a picture of sonic falling to his death while displaying the brake animation.

Nice, very nice indeed! I feel better with my project now since both of our projects have very different story and stuff, not to mention the location of the game.

And, how do you make that falling after spring animation? In mine Sonic simple walks like in the classic games.

Might be posting some more progress soon.

Nice, very nice indeed! I feel better with my project now since both of our projects have very different story and stuff, not to mention the location of the game.

And, how do you make that falling after spring animation? In mine Sonic simple walks like in the classic games.

Might be posting some more progress soon.

Crap... Just got done writing a very friendly, elaborate response to your question, then my laptop dies... So I'm going to give you a not as easy to follow rundown. Go into Sonic's skin in worlds, put whatever falling animation you want in the "launching" section. Then, go to Player > Player Animation > Change Animation > Springs. Then, in the bottom half of the group, change Sonic's animation sequence from "Walking" to "Launching."

Presto, you've got yourself a nice, cool looking falling animation! Wow, I think I explained this one better than my easier, step by step one, honestly. In the end, it should look like this:

edIOEAc.png

Okay, so back on topic here, I've got two things to say:

@Bosco: I really like the way your screenshots are turning out. The forest looking area has a very beautifully creepy atmosphere to it, and the ice covered city looking area gives me an unsettlingly calm feeling.

@MrPoetatoebadger: You don't have to change any of the background parts themselves. I mean, it's good to work with what you have. (Especially without internet access.) What I was suggesting was changing the colors a tad.

For example:

This is your original picture.

compare2z.png

I took that and brightened up the FG art a bit, then I saturated the buildings to be a bit more washed out, along with turning off the neon lights. (Because who turns the gigantic sky lights on in the day time when everyone can see them already?

The result was this:

compare1.png

While black is still being used in this example, you may want to wash out the black color to be more of a darkish blue color or a grey rather than stark black.

Huh, what's this?

And intro you say? what a twist batman.

i hope you guys get the reference in the intro.

I like it! I had the idea of comic style cut scenes, but it looks like you beat me to the chase. It looks really good I think! I honestly like it better than legitimate cut scenes with movement and such.

EDIT: Ah, I now see the reference was from one of the few Kirby games I have not played. (onward, to doperoms!) I still think you should put in cut scenes in that manner.

I like it! I had the idea of comic style cut scenes, but it looks like you beat me to the chase. It looks really good I think! I honestly like it better than legitimate cut scenes with movement and such.

EDIT: Ah, I now see the reference was from one of the few Kirby games I have not played. (onward, to doperoms!) I still think you should put in cut scenes in that manner.

Thanks man, i appreciate it! :D I'm totally keeping the Comic-Styled cutscenes!

And yeah, you should really go play Kirby's Dreamland 3. It's one of my favorite games of all time, so i had to make a reference somehow.

Whilst working on the intro cutscene to Epsilon, I was going to go for a sprite based animation, but I changed it to semi-animated comic panels once I saw BTS and ATS. (I felt that my animations were not as good or original.)

Mine sort of slide into the frame as a greyscale image, and then colorize and animate, showing the action depicted in the panel.

Guy, it's okay to use whatever type of animation you feel like, be it comic panels or animation. (I just happen to have an inferiority complex.)

On another note, I'm making a city level ATM, here's what I plan to use as a graphic for one of the billboards in the background.

mtbillboard.png

Guy, it's okay to use whatever type of animation you feel like, be it comic panels or animation. (I just happen to have an inferiority complex.)

On another note, I'm making a city level ATM, here's what I plan to use as a graphic for one of the billboards in the background.

[qimg]http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8885/mtbillboard.png[/qimg]

I was just saying because were both doing Sonic prequels and I didn't wanna seem like I was copying.