A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

wI0yj.png

Hub World?

@Techokami

probably not.

Guess people just dont have anything to say =/

anyway, to tell the truth, i've tried working with rom hacks before and i found this kind of level editor to be really limited.

during the devlopment of the classic games they probably had a plan for all the levels made by someone and somebody else to put those into the actual game.

but you know, not much people like to plan out the levels before they do it... like me =P.

but if that is just for personal use them just ignore everything i said.

it is impressive though.

You're not alone with regards to planning out levels before building them. In fact, when I build levels, I absolutely have to outline them first on paper or else I'll get stuck.

There's honestly no better level editor than the human mind; the tricky part is exporting it from your mind to your computer.

@Techokami

oh, yeah, as far as i know a lot of programmers have problems whem maing something user friendly so, yeah, good job. =P

@Strife

when it comes to planning out the structure of the levels (like the level map for BTS aftermath) yeah, i had to plan out things on paper before putting those into MMF2 but i usually just go placing random tiles and trying to figure out how i'm going to do things right on the spot.

that might make my level design worse but hey, it's faster =P

@Shinbaloonba

thanks, i used (stole) the jet the halk sprite i found on the mod.gen website as a base for that guy. (btw, do you know who did that one?)

also, i remember seeing an classic eggman sprite sheet on MFZ's forums back whem it was active, so do you have that sprite sheet? and it was you or somebody else who did it?

i'll be glad to use those in my next game. =P

H3mmd.png

i'll make the graphics in tis roon a bit batter later on since it is plot important but i'll leave as it is for now.

eggman's sprites seems to work quite well, thanks Shinbs =P

and i'll make sure to give credit to Deebs

@SonicFan2010

probably only whem i announce the game. and that will take a while...

Great work on Eggman Shimbs, it's the first time I can think of him as "cute". ^^

I love the art style of these sprites from mod.gen.

Lake > What is the compass used for? It's a 2D game so on this picture Sonic can only move North/South. Can you change plane like in paper mario to move Est/West?

It also looks like you'll keep the new abilities from BTS Aftermath, I wonder what these gauges are used for.

It's a 2D game so on this picture Sonic can only move North/South. Can you change plane like in paper mario to move Est/West

North and South are technically located on the Y axis, which is up and down, and East and West are technically located on the X axis with is left and right.

What are you talking about here? Although the North and South is placed sideways, are you trying to say that Sonic is only able to move left and right? Through springboards, jumps, ramps, etc., Sonic CAN move up and down along the y axis, so the need for something like that is irrelevant.

Well, I know that technically here West is in the sky and Est in the ground, but then the compass is pretty much useless (I don't need a compass to know if I'm going left, right, up and down). Plus I think E/W being on the Y axis wouldn't make sence. That's why I'm thinking: could E/W be on the Z axis?

The way I see it, it's like Sonic is evolving in world map: in some levels you're going South and in others he's going West. But of course I could be completely wrong, that's why I'm asking what the purpose of the compass is.

Edit: ninja'd by Lake. :P

So I was right.

Plus I think E/W being on the Y axis wouldn't make sence. That's why I'm thinking: could E/W be on the Z axis?

Well from the way it looks, the compass rotates depending on what area you're in. However, the thought that something pointing towards a cardinal direction in a 2D platformer could be used for the Z-axis is preposterous. Even in 3D space, going north (or west in this scenario) would still be on the Y axis because you'd be going forward, not upwards. (I am of course going under the assumption that you'd use a top down view before rendering a 3D camera, where X and Y are flattened on the ground level.) Even so, it doesn't look like Sonic is inhabiting 3D space in these screenshots, therefore West is not towards or away from the screen, but what ever direction West is in.

But I digress.

The idea of the compass as a guide pointing you in the general direction of your objective rather than using a map system of sorts seems like a fresh idea to me. I must ask though, will you be using a save system like Metroidvania games or will you be using something new for this?

@Betaman

That star thingy on the "hub world" screen shot is actually a save point.

but anyway, from the way the game is going, this is not metroidvania at all

and that's why i call it a METRONIC game

few elements from metroid + classic sonic gameplay

sorry if i sound a bit angry =P

but i think people will be making comparasions all the time to metroidvania games and... well, i cant answer your question since i have only ever played and enjoyed one metroidvania game =/

You've only played one metroidvania game? I've played Super Metroid, Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Castlevania Aria of Sorrow. All of them were awesome.

The save system Betaman was talking about are rooms in the world where you recover your life and Save the game. If it was a real metroidvania game you would save the game when you enter giant rings.

@Betaman

That star thingy on the "hub world" screen shot is actually a save point.

but anyway, from the way the game is going, this is not metroidvania at all

and that's why i call it a METRONIC game

few elements from metroid + classic sonic gameplay

sorry if i sound a bit angry =P

but i think people will be making comparasions all the time to metroidvania games and... well, i cant answer your question since i have only ever played and enjoyed one metroidvania game =/

Don't worry, the screenshot answered everything. I kind of like its approach, going Sonic Heroes style with the save posts.

Generally there are specific rooms dedicated to saving and map functions in Metroidvania styled games, and this has neither. That's one of the reasons why I like this: it thinks outside the box for most ideas you'd see in an exploratory game.

The save system Betaman was talking about are rooms in the world where you recover your life and Save the game. If it was a real metroidvania game you would save the game when you enter giant rings.

Nah, I've always thought of the save objects being the starposts or a Signpost. Maybe you could use Signposts as a sort of bonus quest, like find all the signposts you can and spin them around to the right panel. (From Robotnik to Sonic)