A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Post your screenshots thread

Rael0505

I hate any game with the name "Origins" in it. It just sounds to far back and to detailed, and I stay away from any game that has the word "Origins" in it. Plus, if it was called origins, I would feel like I would have to explain all the other characters pasts and how they met up with each other.

That's perfectly understandable, I dislike having to go into extra detail when making a story. I prefer to have a situation where I know everything from the start, but you don't know anything unless I show it to you a little bit at a time. Back stories and character origins can be a powerful thing, but they end up becoming too complicated once you get into a simple universe like Sonic.

(And it IS a simple universe: Dr. Robotnik hates Sonic, but only wants his own theme park, no matter the consequence. Sonic hates Dr. Robotnik because of his pollution and wants to stop him at every turn. It's a vicious cycle that never ends, but it's a simple one.

That's perfectly understandable, I dislike having to go into extra detail when making a story. I prefer to have a situation where I know everything from the start, but you don't know anything unless I show it to you a little bit at a time. Back stories and character origins can be a powerful thing, but they end up becoming too complicated once you get into a simple universe like Sonic.

(And it IS a simple universe: Dr. Robotnik hates Sonic, but only wants his own theme park, no matter the consequence. Sonic hates Dr. Robotnik because of his pollution and wants to stop him at every turn. It's a vicious cycle that never ends, but it's a simple one.

These are true words. I agree totally. Although, there have been times where things have gotten a little complicated...

So I got bored the other day, and added this goalpost... But this is no ordinary goalpost you see...

5KZ3KOy.png

When you go through the goalpost, you get trolled...

dz79ZGl.png

don't have a spasm if you're a fanboy, I was just bored and messing around with the programming in worlds...

QMAhNUi.png

Sonic's waiting animation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I've made my own Sonic engine before, in a program called scratch... It is a programming software for beginners, and it can't handle much, which is why I quit working on the project a couple years back. Here's a little picture of the coding that makes Sonic gain momentum.

Np5QHhh.png

basically it's saying that when "Sonic" gets through this part of the coding tell the rest of the coding "Getting Faster." So when this happens, all of the coding under this block

PrLXxt8.png

goes into affect and all the coding that leads up to this line is ignored. This can lead to some pretty big and unnecessary "coding loops," (as I call them) which is one of the few reasons I no longer use Scratch. Multimedia Fusion is a much better alternative for more advanced users that are still in the "beginners/intermediate stage." Just thought I'd share that, brought me back a couple years. Not that I'm that old. I'm only 14... I think I was like, 11 when I made this...

less talking, more screenshots

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/H84ZIeg.png[/qimg]

(yes, it's a screenshot from ATS and no, the release is still on the "end of april")

Now each tile card now shows the name of the person who did the music for that specific stage.

That's a very awesome addition, and finally I'm no longer confused about which act is 'Sky Station' and which isn't, The whole zone is 'Storm Station'. XD

So I got bored the other day, and added this goalpost... But this is no ordinary goalpost you see...

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/5KZ3KOy.png[/qimg]

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/dz79ZGl.png[/qimg]

don't have a spasm if you're a fanboy, I was just bored and messing around with the programming in worlds...

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/QMAhNUi.png[/qimg]

So I've made my own Sonic engine before, in a program called scratch... It is a programming software for beginners, and it can't handle much, which is why I quit working on the project a couple years back. Here's a little picture of the coding that makes Sonic gain momentum.

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/Np5QHhh.png[/qimg]

basically it's saying that when "Sonic" gets through this part of the coding tell the rest of the coding "Getting Faster." So when this happens, all of the coding under this block

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/PrLXxt8.png[/qimg]

goes into affect and all the coding that leads up to this line is ignored. This can lead to some pretty big and unnecessary "coding loops," (as I call them) which is one of the few reasons I no longer use Scratch. Multimedia Fusion is a much better alternative for more advanced users that are still in the "beginners/intermediate stage." Just thought I'd share that, brought me back a couple years. Not that I'm that old. I'm only 14... I think I was like, 11 when I made this...

You should try learning Dark Basic at some point. I wish more people knew about it because I think people could make some blazing games with it.

If someone were to reconstruct the Sonic Worlds engine in it, add a tile editor or something I would actually give them a big kiss.

It's pretty easy to get a grasp on. I'm a full on idiot when it comes to anything related to programming but I think someone else should definitely try it. It's always seemed like the logical next step after MMF or Gamemaker.

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/5KZ3KOy.png[/qimg]

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/dz79ZGl.png[/qimg]

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/QMAhNUi.png[/qimg]

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/Np5QHhh.png[/qimg]

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/PrLXxt8.png[/qimg]

Ha, nice.

Some of my friends at Uni once told me about Scratch. Looking at your snippet, it looks like a kind of... bizarre way to teach programming.

"Broadcasting" and "Receiving"? Is that Scratch's terminology for Functions/Methods?

Weird.

Like people said... probably the... 'next stage' would be:

Game Maker or MMF or even DarkBasic.

There's also the Torque 2D engine which looks pretty nice but it's kind of expensive, as I recall.

I've never actually used any of these, I'm not in to using pre-built engines when it comes to 2D game development, so I can't explain any direct details to you...

HOWEVER, I'm interested in what YOUR definition of a "code loop" is and what problem it's causing. I've never used scratch but in programming, the logic is pretty consistent and I have... a sort of OCD for fixing bugs, even if they aren't my own. I know you want to move on from Scratch but hey, if you encountered it in one Game Dev program, you might encounter it in another so it's good to learn how and why these problems come about, so you can deal with them in the future.

In short:

HEY, MrPoetatoebadger! Tell me about your "code loop" problem you were having, please!

EDIT: Feel free to PM/Message me it instead, otherwise we'll get complained at for cluttering up the screenshot thread or something.

It's pretty easy to get a grasp on. I'm a full on idiot when it comes to anything related to programming but I think someone else should definitely try it. It's always seemed like the logical next step after MMF or Gamemaker.

Is it free? Cuz I only recently bought MMF, and I don't have too much money to spend. I have like, 80 dollars I can freely spend, but I like to save money if I can.

Ha, nice.

Some of my friends at Uni once told me about Scratch. Looking at your snippet, it looks like a kind of... bizarre way to teach programming.

"Broadcasting" and "Receiving"? Is that Scratch's terminology for Functions/Methods?

Weird.

Like people said... probably the... 'next stage' would be:

Game Maker or MMF or even DarkBasic.

There's also the Torque 2D engine which looks pretty nice but it's kind of expensive, as I recall.

I've never actually used any of these, I'm not in to using pre-built engines when it comes to 2D game development, so I can't explain any direct details to you...

HOWEVER, I'm interested in what YOUR definition of a "code loop" is and what problem it's causing. I've never used scratch but in programming, the logic is pretty consistent and I have... a sort of OCD for fixing bugs, even if they aren't my own. I know you want to move on from Scratch but hey, if you encountered it in one Game Dev program, you might encounter it in another so it's good to learn how and why these problems come about, so you can deal with them in the future.

In short:

HEY, MrPoetatoebadger! Tell me about your "code loop" problem you were having, please!

In short, a coding loop is where you have to do things over and over, or create the same line of coding multiple times to meet a certain standard, and get more precise results. Unlike mmf2 where you just create something, and apply it to everything else. I heard they're actually developing an update where you can fix this problem. I believe you can create a line of code, then condense all of it into its own block you can use over and over again. One of the problems was that if you had a very long and detailed piece of coding, it would get very hard to edit, remove, or replace blocks because of lag. Another reason why I quit. If you didn't understand or want more detail, PM me and I will explain in full depth. It can get pretty complicated.

Is it free? Cuz I only recently bought MMF, and I don't have too much money to spend. I have like, 80 dollars I can freely spend, but I like to save money if I can.

DarkBasic Pro should be free with ad support. It's what I used to use anyway.

Overbound posted a link, go check it out, it should answer all your questions.

DarkBasic Pro should be free with ad support. It's what I used to use anyway.

Overbound posted a link, go check it out, it should answer all your questions.

where did overbound post the link?

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't scroll down far enough XD

Edit 2: Wow, that looks really cool! It looks like it's a great way to start learning full text programming after you have mastered all the basic picture based stuff. I've already made a plan, and this DarkBasic thing just added to it:

Finish my current game, getting a really good understanding of how basic programming works, as well as MMF

Create my own Tails Only engine* in MMF, to get more experience

Move on to this DarkBasic thingy and make my 3rd genesis-style engine in that, to get a hold on full-text programming.

Sounds like an OK plan to me, no?

*Tails is my favorite sonic character, so I want to create an engine that revolves around only him and his abilities.

In short, a coding loop is where you have to do things over and over, or create the same line of coding multiple times to meet a certain standard, and get more precise results. Unlike mmf2 where you just create something, and apply it to everything else. I heard they're actually developing an update where you can fix this problem. I believe you can create a line of code, then condense all of it into its own block you can use over and over again. One of the problems was that if you had a very long and detailed piece of coding, it would get very hard to edit, remove, or replace blocks because of lag. Another reason why I quit. If you didn't understand or want more detail, PM me and I will explain in full depth. It can get pretty complicated.

Ha... not quite sure what you mean... since in games, you generally do loop over things infinitely. MMF2 does it too but... I doubt it's a part they let you interact with, unless you buy the source code. I shall PM you about it! Assuming SFGHQ lets me. Pesky PM post limits...

Yeah we use Scratch at my school.

Personally I can't stand it. I was able to make a fairly solid game with it but to be honest it feels really boring, and to program anything even vaguely complex requires unnecessarily overcomplicated code. but I suppose it's pretty hard to teach school kids actual programming, as evidenced by the fact that I'm unable to wrap my head around even the most basic features of MMF2.

Or maybe that's just me not being able to focus on anything for more than five seconds before dismissing it as "too difficult" and leaving it.

Ha... not quite sure what you mean... since in games, you generally do loop over things infinitely. MMF2 does it too but... I doubt it's a part they let you interact with, unless you buy the source code. I shall PM you about it! Assuming SFGHQ lets me. Pesky PM post limits...

I don't mean it in a sense like that. for example: You know those octagon thingies in Sonic Worlds? You can't create anything like that to make your life easier. It all has to be straight up raw, making it so you have to recode the same thing over and over again. This is what I mean by loop. Not an actual loop when you're playing the game, a repeat of creating something you already have. This is the issue they're going to fix with the create your own block thing.

I don't mean it in a sense like that. for example: You know those octagon thingies in Sonic Worlds? You can't create anything like that to make your life easier. It all has to be straight up raw, making it so you have to recode the same thing over and over again. This is what I mean by loop. Not an actual loop when you're playing the game, a repeat of creating something you already have. This is the issue they're going to fix with the create your own block thing.

The finished product is almost 3 gigabytes, which is why I prefer not to send it to anyone. In fact, it only has Sonic's basic abilities. It has no gimmicks, nothing, just Sonic and his ability to walk on terrain. But... The other day, (Tuesday) in the deep dark depths of my moms old computer I found the very start of the project which I started when I was nine... the last time it was edited on that computer (besides when I opened it up) was October of '08, and features a sense of momentum, sonic and the ability to move left and right, and a feel for slowing down. So here it is:

http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Scratch_1.4_Download

http://www.scratch.mit.edu/projects/MrPoetatoebadger/3223417

Go to the first link, download, then on the second link, ignore, the actual game, just download and examine the programming skills I had when I was nine. Just keep in mind I had literally just started this back then, but had moved the files over to my dad's computer. His Computer is on the edge of dying... so in short, this is very incomplete, and all of those broadcasts lead to nothing.

Not to mention the sprite and costume system is extremely convoluted. I mean, come on.

Dude, I agree with you totally, the sprite system absolutely sucks and can lead to even more complicated, unnecessary coding.

It looks pretty okay, but you need seriously to change those colors, make it brighter.

Also, the sun should not be visible when the sky turns to purple/dark blue (aka night) like it happens around 0:30 in the vid.

Other than that, pretty nice. :3

Hm, I was actually aiming for dessaturated sprites... the project I'm working on will feature it. But that's ok, my team's been making some tweaks on it, it's getting better (:

I'm not sure if I'll post here the newest work of my team's artist, but here's an example of the new sun I made myself:

WARNING: Image is 1920x1080

859041_434698069938418_1239598525_o.jpg

At least it looks a bit more beautiful, I think...?

EDIT: Come to think of it, it looks better in motion.

EDIT 2: This is a controller, pause, debugger and quick command line test, ran on Windows

BGl0xeGCAAASU0F.png:large

And this is a cellphone shot of an older DEBUG version of it, running on my server's Ubuntu 12.10:

BGZjfKICMAA3h8H.jpg:large