A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: Lost World

shezz.... no review for Asia Pasific.

is at ign.com and.......... *cencored* NOOOOOO!!!!!

5.2?!?!!? the level design was good for me, and yeah.....

but, the lack of speed... =(

it doesn't mean IGN must rate dat worse.....

grr..... i wish i destroy/Kill that Reviewer from IGN!!!!!

i can take bad critisism, but not as bad as IGN critisims to SLW

------------------------

uh.... am i too much? =(

Edit : yeah, maybe they hate Classic "Slow" thingy, and Liking Modern instead (well, Sonic 2006? :v ), or they actually not try dat, or they suck at Classic esque thingies? :v

I hate IGN, but i just read their review, and i know they aren't lying because i could see every criticism coming a mile away from the playtest videos.

Not if you watch the video, and watch their previous videos praising the game.they contradict each other ALL THE DAMN TIME.

I hate IGN, but i just read their review, and i know they aren't lying because i could see every criticism coming a mile away from the playtest videos.

lolno, IGN pretty much PRAISED the fact that Sonic was slower and made"an article about "why slowing down is good". But in the review, they complain about Sonic being slow for the most part of the review. Bad score is one thing, bad review is another. They contradict themselves, but hey at least CoD 13 gets a 9 out of 10. -_-

lolno, IGN pretty much PRAISED the fact that Sonic was slower and made"an article about "why slowing down is good". But in the review, they complain about Sonic being slow for the most part of the review. Bad score is one thing, bad review is another. They contradict themselves, but hey at least CoD 13 gets a 9 out of 10. -_-

They didnt even mention the spindash, and ITS speed.

That's what I thought too. Then I watched this video:

and thought wow there are a lot of elements similar to the Genesis games. Speed as a reward, good players skipping sections of levels with cleaver jumping and momentum. IGN just sucks at playing Sonic games I think.

and thought wow there are a lot of elements similar to the Genesis games. Speed as a reward, good players skipping sections of levels with cleaver jumping and momentum. IGN just sucks at playing Sonic games I think.

IGN sucks in general.

A common criticism between sonic game reviews is "the reviewer just sucked". But I think there's a difference between the reviewer sucking and the person watching the review just being biased to the way Sonic games function now. I said I saw these criticisms coming a mile away mostly because Lost World just bleeds "derivative". Everything about the game looks more like it's trying to be something instead of trying to achieve something.

Ditching Act 1-2, and sticking with the Mario-style 1-95trillion stages seemed like it could have been a great idea, but even back in Sonic Colors it just primarily felt like a cop-out to avoid having to actually design real levels. Instead of designing dynamic levels that encourage replayability, they instead just create 4 or 5 cool 3D stages and 300 little small mini-levels that all focus on one gameplay element. At any point in these playthrough videos, you can skip ahead a few minutes and Sonic will be speeding along some rope-based path, rail section, or any one of their many "unique gameplay" sections where you have no control over sonic.

And then for replayability, they just litter these little stages with obnoxious Red Rings to force you to replay them all at some point. I personally feel like Sonic Adventure 2 had this fixed already with its style meter and ranking system...and the Chao Garden. But yeah.

On the subject of bias, i'll admit Colors was mostly underwhelming to me for the same reasons this game looks underwhelming, and i really don't know why people liked it so much. But saying that the reviewer sucks because he doesn't know he can skip platforms by spindashing doesn't really make any sense.

[quote name=Serephim;163122

On the subject of bias' date=' i'll admit Colors was mostly underwhelming to me for the same reasons this game looks underwhelming, and i really don't know why people liked it so much. But saying that the reviewer sucks because he doesn't know he can skip platforms by spindashing doesn't really make any sense.

You are latching on to one small thing here to diminish that entire video. This guy makes the wall run work and gets great speed. Skipping platforms with speed from the spin dash is only a small part of it, though it is true of the classics too more speed grants you access to new ways to get through the level.

Two major complaints about the IGN review: Sonic is too slow and the parkour system is broken. While they may not be the easiest to use I have a feeling that the IGN reviewer did not take the time to learn how to properly use them. Yeah it's difficult to play the game on this level but that's always been the case with Sonic games. A novice can get through them without too much difficulty but a real lack of style. A seasoned Sonic player can make the game work for him.

I'm not surprised there are a lot of bad reviews going around. Its another mixed bag scenario I guess concerning them. Personally IGN has always been a throwaway for me so I don't care what they think, but the game isn't holding up all that well across the board. Quite frankly, for once, I haven't really been interested since I saw the first reveals. I hate the tube aesthetic and the way the game looks to run in motion and the levels look bland and boring.

The graphical style seems to only go halfway I feel, but I kind of wonder if that is an intentional blandness or system limitations. Sure it's bright but it all feels so...flat. It's kinda gross to look at and feels half-realized. I do appreciate what they are trying to do though as I prefer it over the extremely realistic approaches prior to Unleashed.

I've been watching some playthroughs of the game on youtube too and I guess I'm failing to see a lot of clever level design. I mean I've sat through watching entire levels that are set on a grind rail going straight in one direction. At the very least when previous games had the dumb idea to do that they at least let you boost and threw a lot more obstacles at you to try and at least spice up some incredibly lazy level design. I dunno - I am just not that impressed by anything I've seen. The story also feels incredibly underwhelming as well, though I have to admit Eggman again steals the show and his writing is just as consistent as it always has been.

I probably am not going to pick this game up on either platform (not that I have a Wii U, but I do have a 3DS and I am gonna pass). None of it appeals to me. I think this is the first time I've consciously made a decision to pass up a Sonic game when having at least a system to grab it on. Maybe I'm just expecting more from a studio that has had this franchise going now for 20+ years by this point and I'll never be satisfied - I dunno.

Just my thoughts anyway. I haven't played it but I pretty much watched the entire game. I will say this though - the soundtrack is so good. I am so glad they have long since ditched the crappy vocal themes and buttrock and started to make tracks that really fit the levels. They did a wicked job on that.

Ditching Act 1-2, and sticking with the Mario-style 1-95trillion stages seemed like it could have been a great idea, but even back in Sonic Colors it just primarily felt like a cop-out to avoid having to actually design real levels. Instead of designing dynamic levels that encourage replayability, they instead just create 4 or 5 cool 3D stages and 300 little small mini-levels that all focus on one gameplay element.

I agree. Colors basically took their layout for act 1, then rehashed it back within 6 smaller levels. And it's VERY blatant. The bosses were all clones of themselves, and they all sucked. The only 3D ones are OK, but it's unclear what you have to do.

And then for replayability, they just litter these little stages with obnoxious Red Rings to force you to replay them all at some point. I personally feel like Sonic Adventure 2 had this fixed already with its style meter and ranking system...and the Chao Garden. But yeah.

I personally love the red rings. I consider myself to be a skillful sonic player, so I have an order with these newer modern sonic games:

Beat the main game, get the red rings, get good rankings.

Colors was very good with this. The red rings provided a good challenge that made you forget you were playing the same level over and over. The ranking system was a good challenge, not too easy to get an s like generations, but not as unforgiving as adventure 2. The second I 100%ed colors, i stopped playing it immediately. I didn't really even mess with super sonic much. "oh, super sonic in 3D, neat." And I was done. Actually, the last time I played colors was today. I decided I would take an hour of my time to beat the game to refresh my memory since lost world is coming to US soon. And I've disliked colors now more than ever, but it's still an alright game.

@Rawr

I feel the same way in the sense that I haven't been as excited for the new sonic games as I have been in the past. Like generations. I was so psyched for that game. I'm pretty sure I was taking a dump and my friend texted me and I can proudly say I shit myself. What Is wrong with me.

As for the story being underwhelming,

I'm happy it's underwhelming and that the game isn't very story driven. Sonic doesn't need a story.

Unless it's BTS or ATS, those are perfectly acceptable.

Anyways, I'm still getting this game for sure, but I'm more excited for Super Mario 3D World (surprisingly) and the new Zelda 3DS game.

I also have the feel that sega is going to make sonic take a turn in this direction with the whole parkour engine, and I feel as if they need time to perfect this new style they have created. The differences between Generations and Unleashed are a Joke. Generations wins, no contest, and they're practically the same game with the unleashed mod.

Yeah but why bother shoehorning a story in if its going to be boring, uninteresting with awful dialogue that feels far too forced, and a lot of stuff that you throw at the player and expect them to care about.

I like simple stories don't get me wrong. But this was something the designers felt they wanted to put in the game and thus I am going to rightly critique it because its awful. I actually didn't mind some of the writing of the last few games because it served its purpose. The writing was still flat and was dumb still, but it wasn't anything I was going to start groaning about because for the most part it made sense. This game just tries so hard to be something more than paper thin, have players be emotionally invested in, and its falling flat on its face doing so. The Deadly Six are incredibly boring villains. The only writing, again, that is of any good is Eggman's bits which are just as great as they have been in recent years. It makes me wonder why they needed to throw in these wannabe villains because who are they and why should I care?

You know its odd when you start to question why Sonic keeps letting the badguys simply idly walk away from him every time he encounters them (even when he gets mega pissed at 'em too). I mean Tails gets kidnapped and Sonic encounters the emo dude from the deadly six and is all "What did you do with TAILZ" and seems like he is gonna pound the shit out of the guy right then and there only for the guy to just WALK away while Sonic stands there gawking at him. Then you proceed to do a level. Then you fight him. It's stupid and he does it multiple times.

I dunno I just get the impression that almost everything in this game besides the music was incredibly half-assed haha. I just get that vibe from this game like they tried but only to get to a "on par" level and then gave themselves a pat on the back and said "we're done". No, I haven't played it but nothing of what I have seen has excited me - it reeks of boring level design :/. Also I have to chuckle at the fact that its okay to put in a story if its the fangaming communities fave fangames. They're great fangames but could we stop always bringing them up everytime an official release is involved? I swear there was a rule here somewhere about people knocking that stuff off.

idk, but yeah, pretty neat critiques.

yeah, i aggred with Rawr, every of the word from Rawr's post.

Sonic Colors was good, but yeah, the 3/4 previous of boss was re-made to other each level's boss. and yeah, the level design looks ridicilous and the other act just re-assemble from act 1. i never play all console/handled (except DS and PS2), but i see it on YT (as usual)

i hope it doesn't happend on next Sonic Game.....

nothing to said another word again......after this.....

really, i don't have any idea again 'bout this.....

Unless you guys already knew, stay away from the 3DS version as It suffers from the traditional Dimps experience/Very unpleasant...

The levels that were on the Pax demo were probably the better levels the game had to offer because after that, the game becomes a typical Dimps game with the slippery controls, stupid gyroscope gimmicks, and standard Dimps level design filled to the brim with springs and the often occasion speed booster. Super Sonic is obtainable but the effort to get him is tedious due to the annoying gyroscope controled special stages + He is not built for these stages as I found my self falling into the numerous bottomless pits due to the amount of speed I built up(without the run button being held. Like playing as Super Sonic in SA's Windy Valley and flying off the map at extreme speeds.

I will say though that there are still the occasional decent moments where I'm enjoying myself like the funny cutscenes(that are horribly compress) that are presented before almost every stage, the snowboarding section in Frozen Factory or successfully navigating through a level with parkour but alot of the time, I was almost tempted to wreck my 3DS.

Not sure about the Wii U version but it looks like it handles better.

And tbh, I would prefer they went back to the Unleashed formula for another game or so before they retired it.

Also Regarding the IGN review: I think there was a similar incident with IGN and the wonderful 101. The reviewer didn't understand the mechanics or how to play the game properly so he rated it average. : / Might be wrong here. Someone can confirm it if they want.

And back to Pokemon

I can't help but imagine how a Sonic game with the modern formula and parkour would be like, I imagine something like the intro of Sonic CD, you know, running at high speeds, walking on water and walls, doing tricks...you know that would be really badass.

The story,I don't know,I disliked it at first,but it grew on me quite a bit.Maybe not the story itself,but the cutscenes anyway.

I'm not a fan of this whole cartoon feeling for Sonic stories that's been around since Colors,but some of the cutscnes felt kinda tense,edgy and even a bit deep,expect it was all done in a cartoony tone.

When I caught up with the stream,it was in a stage followed by the "Man,they're gonna______.That's horrible!" scene,and I was "woah,really?" followed by the multiple dark taunts from Zavok in the next stage,soon followed by him using psycology to make Sonic feel like shit as he realizes he's all alone.Not to mention all the character interactions,Sonic showing emotions,realizing his mistakes,Tails being "uneasy" about Eggman,the huge amount of "death" "die" and other variants,among other things.

Each of those scenes were building up pretty nicely,always making me eager as to what would happen next...until the ending came in and disappointed :V

The story is kinda eh,but some cutscenes are pretty good imo,even though they are kinda dumbed down,I think some of them actually managed to feel dark and intense without being cringe worthingly over the top by trying too hard ala ShTH or 06,and likewise the D6 are the only villains that managed to feel dark and outright cruel without laughably trying too hard ala Black Doom.

Some shit are really dumb I admit,like the example of the emo guy just walking away,if Sonic atleast tried to pound him but he escaped,then it would make much more sense,but overall,the cutscenes had Sonic display some emotions and character development that no other game ever did,and for that I can give it some kudos.

I personally love the red rings. I consider myself to be a skillful sonic player, so I have an order with these newer modern sonic games:

Beat the main game, get the red rings, get good rankings.

Colors was very good with this. The red rings provided a good challenge that made you forget you were playing the same level over and over. The ranking system was a good challenge, not too easy to get an s like generations, but not as unforgiving as adventure 2. The second I 100%ed colors, i stopped playing it immediately. I didn't really even mess with super sonic much. "oh, super sonic in 3D, neat." And I was done. Actually, the last time I played colors was today. I decided I would take an hour of my time to beat the game to refresh my memory since lost world is coming to US soon. And I've disliked colors now more than ever, but it's still an alright game.

Well, my issue with the red rings is that they do not offer any kind of skillfull challenge to the level, just the same old sink or swim level design that Unleashed employed in its challenge acts. Half of the time they're hidden, other half you miss them and can't even go backwards to get them. So it's basically like the game forces you to find all the little obscure paths they made for the level. Once again, a concept that works in Mario alot better than it works in Sonic.

With SA2's style ranking system you just got scored for everything you did. The game rewarded you for going out of your way to interact with the stage, and nearly everything that gave you score was actually designed to keep your momentum going. So A-ranking an action stage was basically mastering the level. Unforgiving, yeah. But it was an effective system that made the most out of SA2's limited action stages. I remember how awesome it felt to find a hidden rail and blaze through some parts of the stages, and how much more awesome that was made from the fact the game actually gave you score for doing it.

Unless you guys already knew, stay away from the 3DS version as It suffers from the traditional Dimps experience/Very unpleasant...

Why do people bash on Dimps so much? Sonic Team rarely does any better when it comes to gameplay. And i'd wager the only reason they don't do worse consistently is because of money.

Why do people bash on Dimps so much? Sonic Team rarely does any better when it comes to gameplay. And i'd wager the only reason they don't do worse consistently is because of money.

Actually, I'll rephrase that. Modern Dimps experience. I actually forgot that the Sonic Advances and Colors DS weren't that bad. Still, the aspects that many fans criticise about modern Dimps games are present here. Tons of bottomless pits, Springs galore and the abuse of dash rings and speed boosters.

@serephim

Good points, very good. As for the ranking system, I think SA2 was a little unforgiving, but it made getting the rank feel better. Colors was at the perfect level, and generations was too forgiving. On my first playthrough of generations, I got s ranks on every level first time. The 3DS generations ranking is definitely good though

@serephim

Good points, very good. As for the ranking system, I think SA2 was a little unforgiving, but it made getting the rank feel better. Colors was at the perfect level, and generations was too forgiving. On my first playthrough of generations, I got s ranks on every level first time. The 3DS generations ranking is definitely good though

Ranking system sucks in general. Im glad they did away with it in the wiiU version of Lost world.