A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: Lost World

From IGN

Nintendo has announced it has entered an exclusive worldwide partnership with SEGA to produce Sonic games, the first of which will be Sonic: Lost World.

Nothing was revealed about the game other than a screenshot and the fact that it'll be an action-adventure platforming game for both Wii U and 3DS.

More details will be coming prior to E3. Original story follows.

I've been hoping for this for a long time. I for one am excited to see what Nintendo will do with Sonic.

sonic_lost_world.jpg

In the games industry "Produce" is a completely different term from "develop" so we may not know if Nintendo is actually developing the game. If anything I'm going to just guess that Nintendo, in an effort to bolster Wii U sales, handed the ailing Sega a large clump of cash to an exclusivity deal on Sonic games.

Noting that, there is nothing wrong with Sega or Nintendo making a Sonic game, both have shown to be pretty competent lately. Sonic will probably transform into a cave man or something though.

That's quite a clashing world map... The way it's formed makes it look like it can change, too. All those floating hexagons, maybe they can swap places or something... Or maybe they're just leaving a lot of room on the globe for DLC and User-Generated levels to be swapped via Nintendo's networks?

(I'm spitting out random bullshit at this point.)

Either way, this looks pretty awesome, and while ila is right about "produce" and "develop" being totally different things, I wouldn't put it past IGN to have simply used the wrong word. Would not be the first time they were lambasted for being idiots, no?

EDIT: Note, I don't have a problem with IGN myself, I just know that quite a few people do. IGN being a reviewing group, that's...to be expected.

The world map does intrigue me. Since we're in full on speculation mode we might as well speculate more!

I'm wondering if world map locations could actually be changed and swapped around to have an affect on surrounding worlds. Perhaps the ice world would play differently if the volcano wasn't so close to it?

Who knows, maybe levels could changed based on which modules are lined up next to eachother!

This is all just rampant speculation of course. The reality is there are now 3 announced games for the Wii U that I'm interested in.

Generations was a step in the right direction, but it was far from a "game" in my opinion. It was more like an exhibition. IMO all sonic needs to do now is completely ditch those spline 2.5D sections in the stages, and focus on making the more fleshed out level design of Generations into an entire game worth of environments. Hell, by that point they'd be ready to pursue a true sequel to Sonic Adventure.

If Nintendo is developing the game, then the best part about this announcement (for sonic i mean) is that we do not have to worry about it being a bad game. A Mario Galaxy platforming equalvalent of Sonic is really something to look forward to. Just...please, i can't stress enough how tired I am of the 3D + 2D sections. It removed so much awesome from the Modern levels in Generations to me.

I'd say there is still cause for concern that even under Nintendo's guidance if they are indeed co-developing that it can still turn out like shit. I know that I for one have not really enjoyed the direction of a lot of their titles over the last few years and have found their quality to have gown down the toilet outside of a couple franchises, but that's a pretty unpopular opinion I guess to hold.

Can't say I am enamored by the exclusivity deal, but if its simply a "here is a bunch of money to put this on our consoles first" type situation I can see that being more believable. Makes sense on SEGA's side too - why pour time into porting a game to the next Xbox and the PS4 when they have no idea what the install base is gonna be? Might as well wait a bit. Even if that doesn't happen and it stays on Nintendo stuff, oh well - not the end of the world for me as I have zero intention of getting a Wii U since I dislike that console quite a bit.

If the 3DS version is good I'll pick that one up though.

Oh YEAH BABY~ I Am super excited for this GaaAAAmE! imo it looks like it combine all the best elements from the newer Sonic games. I am loving that epic looking planet. Whooo! Perhaps we may from looking at it, we may get a. Nature zone. Desert zone. Canyon zone. Lava zone. Ice zone. Sky zone. Water zone. I really love that SonicTeam is trying to do more fantasy environments again, like the originals. But yeah... I really hated the more realistic bland ones like on sonic unleashed ETC. So looks like another step in the right direction here!

I love Sonic and all. But I hope they have more then just Sonic playable this time... Unless it's just Sonic & Tails & Knuckles & Amy. I despise that character lineup. I prefer to just have Sonic & Tails at that point. Personally I'd like a playable villein character like MetalSonic or Eggman. Also I know people are not often fond of new characters... But hey! it's a new world it seems. So new characters are almost a given! So i wouldn't mind a new playable character for once here.

And I don't care what anybody says. I love how modern Sonic has both 3D & 2.5D gameplay lately. both are fun & awesome imho. and anybody who disagrees is a party pooper who has forgotten how to just simply enjoy a good game and probably whines all day how modern games are not made specific to their own personal tastes. :P

Oh YEAH BABY~ I Am super excited for this GaaAAAmE! imo it looks like it combine all the best elements from the newer Sonic games. I am loving that epic looking planet. Whooo! Perhaps we may from looking at it, we may get a. Nature zone. Desert zone. Canyon zone. Lava zone. Ice zone. Sky zone. Water zone. I really love that SonicTeam is trying to do more fantasy environments again, like the originals. But yeah... I really hated the more realistic bland ones like on sonic unleashed ETC. So looks like another step in the right direction here!

I love Sonic and all. But I hope they have more then just Sonic playable this time... Unless it's just Sonic & Tails & Knuckles & Amy. I despise that character lineup. I prefer to just have Sonic & Tails at that point. Personally I'd like a playable villein character like MetalSonic or Eggman. Also I know people are not often fond of new characters... But hey! it's a new world it seems. So new characters are almost a given! So i wouldn't mind a new playable character for once here.

And I don't care what anybody says. I love how modern Sonic has both 3D & 2.5D gameplay lately. both are fun & awesome imho. and anybody who disagrees is a party pooper who has forgotten how to just simply enjoy a good game and probably whines all day how modern games are not made specific to their own personal tastes. :P

Ladies and gentlemen, our minority group.

Though... To be honest, I do really, really hate that Sonic has been getting 100% of the screentime lately. Make Tails, Knuckles and Amy playable again.

Personally I am more of a Sonic/Knuckles guy when it comes to my playable characters. Don't care about playing as any of the others (including Tails). But more options for the people who love to play as new characters is fine by me too as long as its handled well.

Make Tails, Knuckles and Amy playable again.

Personally I'd like this character line up.

Sonic. Tails. MetalSonic. Blaze. New character.

I'm not much into Knuckles or Amy really...

And oh yeah. I did forget to say i am a bit sad at the only on Nintendo thing. There should always at least be a PC version too! SonicGame Mods & Hacks are some of the best things imo. Which is not something you'll see outside of PC versions much. :/

I don't even like Knuckles that much, but I just like having the "classic four" hero characters available, hopefully from the start.

I think I can blame Shuffle for that, since my friends and I played that pretty often when we were little and one of us had a Dreamcast.

EDIT: Some disclosure on that, if you're interested. (I really doubt it, but I'm in a bit of a story mood.)

Alright, well. My family and two others used to meet up from time to time for some reason, I never knew how they met, but we all had fun anyway. There were the adults who played Poker and Risk downstairs and then the four of us younger people went upstairs and played the Dreamcast. We were always at the home of one particular family, and the boy had a Dreamcast... And the four of us were all Sonic fans, so we played Shuffle, since it was multiplayer. Unfortunately, we only had two controllers, and I think we only had one VMU... So, the oldest girl and I were on one controller, while the boy and my team-mate's sister were on the other. I was the youngest kid there, too. Heh.

We never did anything with Story Mode, so we only had the "classic four" available. The other two usually played as Sonic while we played as either Tails or Amy, depending on which one of us one Rock-Paper-Scissors. And we passed the controller over to our partner after evey minigame, or when the current player didn't feel like playing anymore.

We...almost never one, not a single one of us. The AI, as it's known to do, almost always smoked us. ...Though I distinctly remember AI Knuckles being fucking retarded on the board, but of course, the minigames were another story.

Okay, so we have a desert on the right, a fire level at the top, an ice level beside it and a forest below it, grasslands in the center, and what I'm assuming is a mountain/canyon level to the left. There's also something at the bottom which could be either a water level or a steampunk metropolis-type zone. Or maybe a giant game of Chinese Checkers, I don't know.

Also, that image looks really sexy as my desktop background.

Also, that image looks really sexy as my desktop background.

Seems like we have the same taste in desktop BGs then!. :D

Tho technically I use the windows 7 option that changes my BG every 30 mins. all of them are Sonic BGs tho. But I also put it as the BG on my PS3. Yohooho~

One of the things I'm hoping is that the signature geometric-style level aesthetics start to pop back up a bit (I'm somewhat vouching for this on account of the geometric planet we have here, even if some shout Galaxy), as well as more original badniks for each of the zones.

Speaking of which, I'm eager to see what the gameplay is going to be like. Part of me wants to think they're coming up with an excuse to bring Wisps back, another is hoping that there isn't a main gameplay gimmick and more individual level gimmicks instead. I also hope branching paths show up like in Generations and the like!

...and now I wonder how the hell Eggman got out of the White World.

Who's to say that either Eggman managed to get out? For all we know, Sonic could be fighting Bowser! Ahaha, now that would be a sight to see!

And however the gimmicks are handled, I just want my Adventure-style control. I'm tired of Sonic only being able to move forward and tilt left or right, I want to be able to veer in any direction I please!

Here's a weird idea, you see all of those hexagons that look like the can be interchanged?

(Well it's obvious you already did,lol.)

Anyways, what if they could make the levels mix, let me explain.

Some pieces from the ice level and desert level may create... Ice Desert Zone?

Or the grass level with a fire one, Flaming Grasslands?

It would be a really cool thing.

Now, i'm just gonna sit here and wait for E3.

Can't say I am enamored by the exclusivity deal

I completely forgot about this part. It being Nintendo would make it exclusive...i'm really surprised SEGA would even consider that time around. And the only game that can even make me look in Wii-U's direction ATM is this next SSB game with namco.

And as for the characters...it was always a cop-out in my eyes to make these games sonic-only. IMO The only reason Sonic characters have devolved the way they have is because SEGA had started taking its stupid storyline and "THE SPEED OF SOUND" idea way too seriously. Which unfortunately means nobody other than sonic is able to move fast or run up walls anymore.

Advance 1 had it down sooo right with how they handled adding Amy Rose. Then it too decided that everything just gotta go fast, and then we get Advance 2.

A fast Sonic is the only Sonic I want to play anymore tbh. I can't stand Sonic being slow like he was on the adventure games. The other characters who are not sonic should be the ones who offer slower gameplay styles. Unlike some people, I like there being characters who play completely different from each other in a single game. it makes it much more fun and interesting.

A fast Sonic is the only Sonic I want to play anymore tbh. I can't stand Sonic being slow like he was on the adventure games. The other characters who are not sonic should be the ones who offer slower gameplay styles. Unlike some people, I like there being characters who play completely different from each other in a single game. it makes it much more fun and interesting.

Sonic was many thing in the Adventure games. Slow is not one of them. If you felt like you were going slow in those games, it's because you suck at Sonic and can't figure out how to gain speed without a boost button.

Sonic was many thing in the Adventure games. Slow is not one of them. If you felt like you were going slow in those games, it's because you suck at Sonic and can't figure out how to gain speed without a boost button.

Or perhaps some people just have different tastes in gameplay. there's a thought?. And I for 1 play games to just enjoy myself. And running insanely fast is 1 thing that brings me such joy. And what is insulting me suppose to do again? To prove your opinion is better then mine? Ha! that's almost cute. How old are you again? and how about you go and enjoy what you want and I'll go do the same? It's a video game. learn to lighten up a little.