A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic: Lost World

Rolling in 3D would be fine if they gave it tighter controls like they did with the boost, only not quite so limiting. I'd rather nudge Sonic in the right direction than tilt the stick a little and end up crashing into a wall or off a cliff.

Y'know... I'm beginning to wish that they'd acknowledge the rift between fans here. If they gave us an option as to how we want to control Sonic, that'd be fucking amazing.

< Do you want to Dreamcast Era controls, or Modern Era controls? >

And then you pick one, and the world is happier.

SA1/2's rolling really worked no different than it did in the classic series. Moving through the stages by running never hindered you, but using rolling momentum made you go waaaay faster than running.

It was a bit broken in SA1 because you could cancel the rolling, but I dont think it really took anything from the game.

See, You are confused because SA2 didn't actually have rolling. It had somersaulting (a technique useful only for going under things and attacking certain enemies) and spindashing with a rolling state afterwards that didn't increase momentum going down hills over running. SA1 was largely the same except you could put yourself in that vestigial rolling state without spindashing. It also let you spam spindashing and unrolling without slowing down, which is what you are probably thinking about. You could cancel the rolling part in SA2 as well, but they fixed it by making you slow down if you try to spindash again.

It had somersaulting (a technique useful only for going under things and attacking certain enemies) and spindashing with a rolling state afterwards that didn't increase momentum going down hills over running.

Huh? SA2's rolling gave you ridiculous speed and momentum on inclines, way more than you'd ever get from running down the same path, regardless of how fast you were rolling before you hit the incline. That includes the scripted loops and such.

City Escape is really the easiest way to observe this. If you roll down the hills before hitting the ramps you'll shoot so high you'll hit invisible walls on the ceiling. Rolling down the building sequence is WAY faster than both running and fast falling. If you roll during the chase sequence you'll leave the truck at the very back of the screen. TBH there was rarely a reason to not be spindashing/rolling in SA2, which is why i say it was was no different than it was in the classic series. The only real difference are the speeders. (and the usual bugs and lack of halfpipes)

http://youtu.be/yqlcsWK7EA8

It's probably the closest to classic physics 3D sonic has ever gotten. It's not an emulation, but it uses all the same principles.

I kind of wanna say SA1 was the same way, im pretty sure it was. But I can't really think of too many areas where it worked that way because the collision was too wonky.

While you are technically right, that's not actually rolling in SA2. It's just a spin dash and the player is utilizing Sonic's momentum from the last one to keep him from outright stopping when performing the next spin dash.

While you are technically right, that's not actually rolling in SA2. It's just a spin dash and the player is utilizing Sonic's momentum from the last one to keep him from outright stopping when performing the next spin dash.

And that matters because? You could just call it an evolution of the spindash, one that's far more useful because you don't have to come to a screeching stop to use it.

Huh? SA2's rolling gave you ridiculous speed and momentum on inclines, way more than you'd ever get from running down the same path, regardless of how fast you were rolling before you hit the incline. That includes the scripted loops and such.

City Escape is really the easiest way to observe this. If you roll down the hills before hitting the ramps you'll shoot so high you'll hit invisible walls on the ceiling. Rolling down the building sequence is WAY faster than both running and fast falling. If you roll during the chase sequence you'll leave the truck at the very back of the screen. TBH there was rarely a reason to not be spindashing/rolling in SA2, which is why i say it was was no different than it was in the classic series. The only real difference are the speeders. (and the usual bugs and lack of halfpipes)

http://youtu.be/yqlcsWK7EA8

It's probably the closest to classic physics 3D sonic has ever gotten. It's not an emulation, but it uses all the same principles.

I kind of wanna say SA1 was the same way, im pretty sure it was. But I can't really think of too many areas where it worked that way because the collision was too wonky.

It's just not as noticeable as it is in the classic games really. I suppose I'm wrong though, it's not completely vestigial. But you are still underestimating the importance of being able to roll on hitting the ground. That's really where you are most likely to roll in the classic games anyway, immediately following a high jump.

I just spent an hour or two playing around with SA2 and the demo of Sonic Generations. I'll make another topic explaining what i found.

Basically, i was probably wrong -- SA2 does seem to be an emulation of the genesis games, where angles affect sonic in specific ways. The main difference from S&K comes from the fact Sonic Adventure is 3D, and the player encounters curves can affect sonic in directions other than the one he is currently moving in, and how ST compensated for it. Playing around with momentum gain in his rolling state, I really see no difference in how it works. But the way Sonic Team programmed curves is probably why the idea was never included into the game.

If every surface was treated the same way as head-on angles, the way sonic moves would have probably felt way too literal in terms of classical conservation. I doubt it would have been a bad thing but it certainly would have been a much different experience.

166003_10151664870501796_251977729_n.jpg

Shadowed-out pics of the 6 guardians that Sonic will come across in this game. they will be showed fully later at the end of the month I heard. probably 1 at a time per-day.

They look pretty cool from what I can see of them. Nice to see that they are sticking with a overly cartoon art style still.

Even after seeing these guys only in silhouette I'm pretty intrigued to see who they are. They seem far more unique than the characters we were receiving before Colors and perhaps Unleashed too. I'm especially curious about the pair on each side.

What I wanna' know is, are these guys playing villain or simple NPC? It'd strike me as iffy if the former because of how well Eggman has been doing lately, but...

EDIT- oh hai 100th post

EDIT2:

Ht715NL.jpg

Not sure if joke by TimmiT or not, but if it is I will track him down. Otherwise, yay. :D

EDIT - Dammit TT. D:

6 Guardians likely means 6 zones. Well perhaps there may be even a 7th zone for a final zone. Which to me makes me think that these guys will be bosses of each zone. And that Sonic will make friends afterwards with couple of them I guess.

To quoth Retro, "Wonder if it's a Sonic & Knuckles scenario, where Eggman fooled them and they fight Sonic until the final stage. ".

Vouching for Eggman, I'm really hoping we get ROBOT standard enemies though. I had no problem with Iblis spawn in Generations, if only because it was a one-time thing. But I want my robots dammit. And unique ones, too, per zone! Generation fixed that problem for the most part, it should keep it that way.

And another thing, I hope the level themes are a lot more unique than they seem to be. If not, they better have some damn fine level aesthetics to make up for it. Of course, given how the game's world looks, I can't exactly state a proper demand atm. :x

EDIT - Just dropping this off from Retro.

Sonic-and-Tailes.png

your post in no way indicated that the link would be to some podcast of just two random people talking about what they'd like to see in the game just because you used the phrase "it seems"

Of course it didn't. I didn't expect it to. That phrase is used to denote a lack of confidence. Along the lines of "I think" or "maybe."

Sonic fans :P

Regrettably... And I'm not helping, I know.