A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic ATS - Released

LakeFeperd

I noticed there's a Super Tails...and well I'm sure someone will figure out how to get it. Honestly found the Cyan City boss kinda...boring. Not nearly enough challenge. And "A bright spot sometimes appearing on either side of the sun, often on a luminous ring or halo" Peak was a tad annoying with the bumper enemies. Sugar Splash Zone was kinda short (0 seconds long) and leaving some debug keys in was fun to play with. Good stuff.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the slowdown. I now defenitly know it's not hardware related. I noticed the fps goes down for a slight few seconds after a cycle of 15 seconds. I really would like to know wether more people are getting this, if so, then I hope Lake can figure out what is causing it

So I was about to play the game but the cutscene that's supposed to play before the title screen shows up is not showing up at all. :( I have no idea why and it's really frustrating me. I didn't have this issue with BtS at all.

Edit-

I just played through the first zone in the demo. None of the cutscenes worked at all so I stopped playing the game. To me, the cutscenes were a huge part of the charm of BTS so not having the cutscenes just makes me not want to play this until the issue is resolved somehow. Shame too because zone was really damn fun and I didn't want to stop playing. :(

So I was about to play the game but the cutscene that's supposed to play before the title screen shows up is not showing up at all. :( I have no idea why and it's really frustrating me. I didn't have this issue with BtS at all.

Edit-

I just played through the first zone in the demo. None of the cutscenes worked at all so I stopped playing the game. To me, the cutscenes were a huge part of the charm of BTS so not having the cutscenes just makes me not want to play this until the issue is resolved somehow. Shame too because zone was really damn fun and I didn't want to stop playing. :(

Considering it's a demo. The full release, sure, but right now you're not missing much. The demo's supposed to show the levels, not the cutscenes. They're just a bonus (And I had actually expected Lake to not put tem in so yeah)

Besides that, you can actually view the cutscenes outside of the game, I think. Not sure, you might need Flash to view them. Also lake I'm firmly convinced you made all the levels act 2 to avoid putting in more cutscenes. Well played.

@W.A.C.

you removed the .exe out of its original folder =P

Whoops. I thought it I put back in its original folder at some point but failed to do so originally. I was really impressed with the game and liked a lot of the influences from Nintendo games with the DKC influenced level easily being my favorite one. However, Beam Kirby from Kirby Super Star controls a lot more fun than Beam Sonic. Maybe tweaking the controls to be more similar to how that move was used in KSS would be a good idea? Admittedly, it is weird for Sonic to have that ability in the first place but at least it's a fun move. Also, you should add widescreen in the future!

@Lake: I tested it on 2 fast computers and on both it happens. It may be OS related but from now i'll just leave it for what it is. I haven't heard anyone else point this out so it may just be me. I'll look into it eventually.

Btw try to make the spikes at the boss for Cyan city zone more randomly apearing. They change now only when u hit him but that makes the boss way too predictable and easy.

I just take slowdown as a normal occurrence, but yeah it's definitely there. What the hell is up with not being able to get crushed by platforms? In BTS that was a serious problem with me getting stuck on top of levels. Now I see you kinda work with that more, but still...it's like I don't even care that something's trying to crush me...I just walk/jump under it and...i'm fine.

You seem to like Sky Sanctuary themed levels as a teleporter place. Interesting.

Ya Soundtrack listing plz. Some of them are *kinda* driving me insane.

I just started thinking of ATS stuff a couple of days ago after taking a break for college finals (... 'taking a break for college finals', good lord) and comparing my plans from back then while working on BTS to what's still feasible now.

I originally wanted to open up ATS to as many people as possible as a training camp of sorts and to promote more exchange of ideas between musicians since I personally felt that that was something that was lacking compared to graphic artists and musicians just seemed to... tend to be a little more competitive/isolated in general.

There are a couple of factors that have made me re-think a few things:

1) I never thought BTS soundtrack would have gotten the unanimously positive reaction it did. When even Jun Senoue e-mails with praise, there's quite a bit of pressure for ATS soundtrack to raise the bar. D:

2) All four of us that worked on BTS are gonna work on ATS too. This is a slightly different situation from when it was Andy and I and we were looking to pull in more.

3) There are a couple of people whose compositions have inspired Lake to make certain zones. One has already replied that he's in. Along with 2) and the danger that 'too many cooks spoil the broth', it's getting harder and harder to accommodate more people.

The last thing I want to do is turn ourselves into some kind of elite club, because after all we're all still a fan community and I still would like to accommodate, though, but do understand the bar is really, really high right now (higher than even I'm comfortable with, tbh but them's the breaks) so if I feel you won't make the cut, I'm going to have to say so; please don't take it personally.

The last thing I want to do is turn ourselves into some kind of elite club, because after all we're all still a fan community and I still would like to accommodate, though, but do understand the bar is really, really high right now (higher than even I'm comfortable with, tbh but them's the breaks) so if I feel you won't make the cut, I'm going to have to say so; please don't take it personally.

My suggestion (very similar to what I posted in the ATS sub-forum) would be that each person who is designated to work on a zone would feature a guest artist to collaborate or remix an act. Granted because the bar is very high we might not be able to accept certain submissions, but I think if we allow the community an opportunity to become involved I think it would please everyone to most extent.

I imagine an ideal process during the production phase where:

- The lead composer of the zone produces three out of the four levels (3 acts and a boss) of that zone.

- A slot becomes available for anyone whether inside the ATS team or anyone in the sonic fan community to submit much like an audition to take the ideas of that composer, or work together to produce the last track.

1) I never thought BTS soundtrack would have gotten the unanimously positive reaction it did. When even Jun Senoue e-mails with praise, there's quite a bit of pressure for ATS soundtrack to raise the bar. D:

Oh geez.

3) There are a couple of people whose compositions have inspired Lake to make certain zones. One has already replied that he's in. Along with 2) and the danger that 'too many cooks spoil the broth', it's getting harder and harder to accommodate more people.

If you haven't already filled in too many of the Special Stage music slots (provided they're using different songs like in BTS), I'd imagine that to be the best place to put myself and others who'd wish to join the project.

Completely understandable. Should simply send a couple of my more recent works your way? If I don't make the cut, it's only more reason for me to improve. If I were to make the cut, and you guys simply couldn't find a place to put me (or you reconsider), that'd be fine, too. Either way, no harm done.

KgZ's suggestion isn't too bad, but I'd imagine it might throw off consistency within a given zone, making it feel a little awkward as a whole. All that said, though, if you don't want to add any extra composers into the mix, I honestly don't blame you one bit.

This not only surprised me, it made me extremely happy. Im glad people in the industry are paying attention to stuff like this.

Im really not surprised he was impressed, though. Your music sounds really professional Falk.

Hey, Lake, I can't help but notice that not all of Super Sonic's sprites are done. His floating animation (With the Cyan City fans) is just regular Sonic's (Or rather, a single frame of SONIC 3's Sonic) and his looking up sprite is Sonic 3's Super Sonic (Or some other sprite - Either way it looks different so yeah)