A 2021 backup has been restored. Forums are closed and work in progress. Join our Discord server for more updates! ×
SoaH City Message Board

Sonic ATS - Released

LakeFeperd

Essentially the basic idea Lake and I came up with is that we're going the Sonic CD/Colors/S3&K route (and, very loosely S4E1) where each act in a zone is a remix or very related music.

Extrapolating from there, assuming someone doesn't have all 3 acts planned out from the get go (or even if he does!) a different person doing the remix for Act2/3 can bring a fresh perspective.

That being said I guess the main concern at this point is where the different things different people bring to the table make the tracks stray too far from each other, plus how to even open each other's project files in the first place. (wav stems are the obvious answer, but that makes it hard to rearrange/reharmonize/etc)

edit: Also that being said if someone has an amazing idea for all 3 acts in a zone and wants to execute it, that's fine and dandy as well, with the (lesser) headache here being making sure the music sounds at least believably cohesive across the entire soundtrack. As in not 8-bit in one zone and then full-blown orchestral the next.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait we have to work with other musicians for ATS? How the fuck would that work? Most musicians I've ever talked to have extremely different ways of writing and playing. Every musician has their own quirks that are hard to get working together

that's collaborations though; loads of games use a few musicians, many of which use different methods.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles, for example, had more than 5 different songwriters working together and I think that game had an amazing soundtrack.

I think best idea for a cohesive soundtrack is to have 1 or 2 people mixing/mastering it. Falk's right with the wav stem idea; though I'm not sure DAWs like FL Studio can output wav stems.

we're all mixing and writing on our own audio systems which may be radically different (I'm using ESi Near05 Classic monitors) so the mixes will sound miles apart.

If one or two people mix everything then the sound differences will be less drastic.

you guys can feel free to use BTS as an experiment to see if this way of working works.

And then, when it is done, you guys will have a better perspective and skill to take on ATS

just be careful and avoid at all costs making a step back because this is a TRAP! and it will hold you back to te point of the project never being released.

that's probably why most fan games are never completed

what i mean is that some projects keep redoing its first zone over and over again.

just keep in mind ;)

and...

l2kPs.png

it's very very early and the background isnt 100% done yet

i call it: "Glycolysis Glacier Zone" or "Glucose Glacier Zone"...

it's a water level and btw i'm using the quick_scale.mfa DW made, hope he don't mind me using it

@BlazefireLP

i actually didnt know what Dithering was =/

i'll see what i can do about it

I have no beef with remixing other people's stuff; like Falk says, it can bring a fresh new perspective to tracks.

Also, I wouldn't be TOO worried about (composition-wise) the tracks sounding really different because if a main melody or chord progression is kept in mind then there will still be a link. Look at Hydrocity Zone, act 2 is almost a different song altogether apart from the use of act 1's lead melody.

Having done Act 1's 2's and 3's a few times before, I know that you can get seriously sick of the same theme, so someone else working on it can be a big help.

Anyway!

"Glycolysis Glacier"? :ahuh:

I'm not a fan of the dithering on the snow (or sugar). It makes it seem dirty; a cleaner, "block" shaded style would look loads better. A bit like: http://ristar-cluster.info/fun-stuff/hints/freon-freeze.png and http://www.gameosaurus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/sonic3.jpg

you guys can feel free to use BTS as an experiment to see if this way of working works.

And then, when it is done, you guys will have a better perspective and skill to take on ATS

just be careful and avoid at all costs making a step back because this is a TRAP! and it will hold you back to te point of the project never being released.

that's probably why most fan games are never completed

what i mean is that some projects keep redoing its first zone over and over again.

just keep in mind ;)

and...

[qimg]http://i.imgur.com/l2kPs.png[/qimg]

it's very very early and the background isnt 100% done yet

i call it: "Glycolysis Glacier Zone" or "Glucose Glacier Zone"...

it's a water level and btw i'm using the quick_scale.mfa DW made, hope he don't mind me using it

@BlazefireLP

i actually didnt know what Dithering was =/

i'll see what i can do about it

As long as non of the graphics that come with it are used, it should be fine. :)

Falk: *cough* SonicColours *cough*.

Diabolical Diabetes Zone.

:icon_cool:

But seriously I am gonna agree with Duckboy, I understand the alliteration thing seems to be a popular choice but sometimes the names just sound completely stupid no matter what way you try and spin it haha.

yeah, so i'm going to call it sugar mountain zone now...

i'm not trying to be offensive but i'm going with the alliteration route.

i know it's is possible to bring creative ideas without using the alliteration but i just dont care, seriously

so...

Glucose Glacier Zone?

Sugar Skid Zone?

Sugar Swamp Zone?

edit: "Glucose/Glycolysis Glacier Zone" was in my mind for so long that i thought them were perfect for the zone, it still reminds you of sugar but doesn't reminds you of food wich is something that kirby games do a lot(Grape garden...)

@Ristar

nah, it's just normal water

but i think i've made a gimmik that has something to do with it